Tourist Visa to Australia

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

The three Thai's I know were not dual nationals.

The one 4MyEgo is referring to could've just shown her Thai passport and gone home.

Some people can enter on a foreign passport and the become an Australian citizen and

no obtain an Australian passport.

The point I'm trying to make is, that she could've gone back to Thailand using her Thai passport.

In all fairness, the more I look at it, she is an Australian Citizen, so she would have had to depart on her Australian passport, e.g. knowing her and her husband do things by the book, she would have used her Australian Citizenship or passport when applying for "permission" to leave, and that is when they become stuck, government bureaucracy at it's best stopping her.

If it was my wife in that situation, I would have said to her, to tell them you just finished with your husband and are leaving to get away from him, but then again, who would expect them to stop you leaving on your Australian passport when your father is on his death bed, they would picture all of us liars unless unless we provided them with what they want, i.e. translated documents in English, not having been here and knowing how remote some places are and how difficult it can be to get it done, i.e. the Thai document translated for them to understand. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Before Covid-19 I was going to take holiday and fly down to Sydney from Bangkok. I was looking to see what the tourist visa requirements were for US citizens and seen that the Australian Government wanted $100 USD from us. I got a good laugh out of it and closed the webpage. I decided to go to HCMC instead as the Vietnamese Government (who we were actually at war with) only wanted $20 USD for a tourist visa.

Back in late 2019, I thought of taking my wife to Oz (she's been several times before ) to visit family and friends. 

But, when I printed out the 14 pages of the visa application which required filling in, and the costs (way over $100....more like $250 and nonrefundable !), plus airfares etc, it just was not worth it.

Lucky we didn't I guess, as it might've been a nightmare getting back here in 2020.

• Like 1