What Favorite Foods Are Not Available Now?

J Town

Del Monte (or any US brand) sweet pickle relish seems to be missing everywhere I have looked. On the plus side Villa has been stocking Fritos and other American Lay products. In Pattaya.

Edited by avidflyer
Mistake. Omission
  • Like 1

Tesco cat food, the cat only likes the sardine one and has refused to eat any other make. The only thing i cant find that i want is a decent cheaper green tea bags, apart from that we really only eat fresh cooked stuff.

If anyone likes marmite peanut butter they have it in Siamburys in Pattaya ,only place ive ever seen it.yummy.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:34 PM, BritManToo said:

Quite the opposite.

Lazada are now shipping items I've never seen here before.

I've been enjoying Tandoori chicken from Sherwood Tandoori paste sold on Lazada.

And I've plenty of HP Sauce and Typhoo Tea bags. 

Be very careful, Lazada do not take responsibility for their sellers, and you cannot contact them about it as they do not have a chatline anymore, they only have a virtual chatline which means that you cannot ask them anything.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Be very careful, Lazada do not take responsibility for their sellers, and you cannot contact them about it as they do not have a chatline anymore, they only have a virtual chatline which means that you cannot ask them anything.

Got ripped for an HDMI cable (70bht) that didn't work last week.

Bought two ARGB 12cm fans for my computer, only one worked, return in process. oth products from China.

You gotta take the good with the bad.

On the other hand, I've made many purchases from Food Variety, and they've always been good.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bought two ARGB 12cm fans for my computer, only one worked, return in process. oth products from China.

You gotta take the good with the bad.

On the other hand, I've made many purchases from Food Variety, and they've always been good.

I had no problem with Lazada Food Variety until now. but 257 Bt for one packet of Smash which only serves 3 people is way over the top, and you cannot even contact them about it as they don't have a live chatline any more.

One of the greatest things about Thailand is the variety of food . I moved to America from England a number of years ago and finding British products that were not super expensive is impossible and also have very little variety  . Whenever I’m in Thailand I stock up on British treats and my wife stocks up on her Thai food . It’s a win win for both of us and I have to carry the lot ????

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:30 PM, moogradod said:

W A N T E D - cheap or expensive:

Preisselbeeren.jpg.3821ca119d551ff1305596e97609bf2b.jpg

I bought it in Pattaya somewhere but forgot where and have not seen it again.

Maybe this might work...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/preiselbeerkonfitre-2x200-ml-im-glas-cranberry-jam-in-a-jar-2x200-ml-i2307763961-s7786332064.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.5b813c97oBAbjK&search=1

https://shopee.co.th/(VEGAN)-Cranberry-Jam-แยมแครนเบอร์รี่-สูตรเจ-i.96641319.4154683553

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Got a used once, bought last week, foot pump in my big trash bin courtesy of 'made in China'....Fortunately, the previous one, which was falling apart, could supply some parts to get what is, as of today, a working unit. When buying from China, (IPhones not included), buy 4 or 5 and you might get one good one that lasts, and also have plenty of spare parts.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Maybe this might work...

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately this does not work. It is not jam I am looking for.

These "Preisselbeeren" are used to compliment a German pig roast with potato dumplings or a nice turkey roast (if this were available - the pre--cooked versions available here do not qualify).

.....and then why were are at it...... what I am really missing as well is Roses Lime Juice (it was available in Villa before - but now they have only some second class substitute).

On the other side one English Brand really surprizes me: Essential Waitrose, they do 18 month (better than nothing) Parmesan - the real thing, their Brie is both good and reasonably priced and I like their thick cut Seville Orange Marmelade.

18 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Tesco cat food, the cat only likes the sardine one and has refused to eat any other make. The only thing i cant find that i want is a decent cheaper green tea bags, apart from that we really only eat fresh cooked stuff.

If anyone likes marmite peanut butter they have it in Siamburys in Pattaya ,only place ive ever seen it.yummy.

I have some of this in my fridge: spacer.png

Haven't seen it sold here.

https://www.marmite.co.uk/products/marmite-xo-yeast-extract-extra-old-250g.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately this does not work. It is not jam I am looking for.

These "Preisselbeeren" are used to compliment a German pig roast with potato dumplings or a nice turkey roast (if this were available - the pre--cooked versions available here do not qualify).

.....and then why were are at it...... what I am really missing as well is Roses Lime Juice (it was available in Villa before - but now they have only some second class substitute).

On the other side one English Brand really surprizes me: Essential Waitrose, they do 18 month (better than nothing) Parmesan - the real thing, their Brie is both good and reasonably priced and I like their thick cut Seville Orange Marmelade.

Erm....

Far be it from me to disagree with you, but looking at the ingredients of the Südheide product:

Preiselbeeren (50%), Zucker, Glukose-Fruktose-Sirup, Geliermittel: Pektine, Säverungsmittel: Citronensäure.

and the ingredients of the so called jam(let's take spacer.png

as an example:

Zutaten: Preiselbeeren, Zucker, Zitronensaftkonzentrat, Geliermittel Pektin. Hergestellt aus 50 g Früchten je 100 g.

Seems almost exactly the same to me. 

Is it the word 'Wild' that makes the difference or 'Extra'?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Erm....

Far be it from me to disagree with you, but looking at the ingredients of the Südheide product:

and the ingredients of the so called jam(let's take

as an example:......

Seems almost exactly the same to me. 

Is it the word 'Wild' that makes the difference or 'Extra'?

Of course not. Thanks for investigating so deeply. You may disagree with me anytime on anything - no problem.

Facts are:

1. I may be mistaken since I never tried the content of the d'arbo jar in comparison to Südheide

2. But I know what the usual consistency of a jam or "Konfitüre" is, and the Südheide product has - irrespective of its obviously very similar content list at least no direct ressemblance of any "jam" I now and I have plenty of it in the fridge (I prefer the "Schwartau" Brand exept for Orange Marmelade).

3. I looked the fruit content up on my old Südheide jar - it is as well 50%

4. I made my judgement on the basis of the d'arbo product named "Konfitüre", whereas the Südheide product is devoid of such a description.

5. I have been using "Preisselbeeren" all my life but I do not recall that any product I used was called Jam, Konfitüre or Marmelade. Thats maybe the key point why you may be right and I was led making a wrong assumption.

P.S.: The description "Extra" is added to show a particular high fruit content (I believe). I guess that is correct for any jam or similar product, but I am not sure.

Consequence: I may just have to try it maybe ? ????

Thanks  for pointing out the similiarity in such a detail for me.

Just now, moogradod said:

Of course not. Thanks for investigating so deeply. You may disagree with me anytime on anything - no problem.

Facts are:

1. I may be mistaken since I never tried the content of the d'arbo jar in comparison to Südheide

2. But I know what the usual consistency of a jam or "Konfitüre" is, and the Südheide product has - irrespective of its obviously very similar content list at least no direct ressemblance of any "jam" I now and I have plenty of it in the fridge (I prefer the "Schwartau" Brand exept for Orange Marmelade).

3. I looked the fruit content up on my old Südheide jar - it is as well 50%

4. I made my judgement on the basis of the d'arbo product named "Konfitüre", whereas the Südheide product is devoid of such a description.

5. I have been using "Preisselbeeren" all my life but I do not recall that any product I used was called Jam, Konfitüre or Marmelade. Thats maybe the key point why you may be right and I was led making a wrong assumption.

P.S.: The description "Extra" is added to show a particular high fruit content (I believe). I guess that is correct for any jam or similar product, but I am not sure.

Consequence: I may just have to try it maybe ? ????

Thanks  for pointing out the similiarity in such a detail for me.

Not a problem; I hope it suits. I think Friendship stocks their products, though don't know if they stock the Cranberry variety.

• Like 1

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Not a problem; I hope it suits. I think Friendship stocks their products, though don't know if they stock the Cranberry variety.

It could well be that I even bought the Südheide there - have not been there for quite a while now.

A lot of you guys are talking about a variety of somewhat esoteric stuff being gone...

I'm talking about more BASIC fresh food stuff... like... for the past week, no potatoes and no Japanese cucumbers available via the Tops Online or Tesco Online home delivery services for my area in central BKK... And both are items they usually / regularly stock.

Separate from that, a friendly manager from one of the Central Food Hall's in BKK called home the other day to let me know that a Spanish brand of frozen broccoli that I like, and that they usually stock, had finally arrived to their warehouse after being gone for the past month or two...

HOWEVER, the manager advised that even though the broccoli was now in their warehouse, they weren't going to be getting any of it delivered to their store any time soon for some unexplained reason relating to COVID....

Something definitely appears to be going on COVID-related regarding the stocking and resupplying of various grocery type products.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A lot of you guys are talking about a variety of somewhat esoteric stuff being gone...

I'm talking about more BASIC fresh food stuff... like... for the past week, no potatoes and no Japanese cucumbers available via the Tops Online or Tesco Online home delivery services for my area in central BKK... And both are items they usually / regularly stock.

Separate from that, a friendly manager from one of the Central Food Hall's in BKK called home the other day to let me know that a Spanish brand of frozen broccoli that I like, and that they usually stock, had finally arrived to their warehouse after being gone for the past month or two...

HOWEVER, the manager advised that even though the broccoli was now in their warehouse, they weren't going to be getting any of it delivered to their store any time soon for some unexplained reason relating to COVID....

Something definitely appears to be going on COVID-related regarding the stocking and resupplying of various grocery type products.

Funny, it's been missing that same brand of frozen broccoli too! Half the the time you book probably Chinese broccoli in markets here it turns out to be rotten. Have had better luck with that frozen stuff. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Funny, it's been missing that same brand of frozen broccoli too! Half the the time you book probably Chinese broccoli in markets here it turns out to be rotten. Have had better luck with that frozen stuff. 

Central has been stocking 750g green-color bags of frozen broccoli florets under the Spanish import brand of El Corte Ingles. The product itself is quite good, saves the hassle of cutting, cleaning and peeling stems, and has the advantage over fresh of not getting old sitting in the frig.

Villa also sometimes has stocked Birds Eye brand of frozen broccoli florets from Australia. Those were in stock last time I checked here in BKK, but that probably was a week or two back. That particular product seems to fly under the radar and get lost in the frozen food bins at Villa alongside all the other items.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Broadened my search a bit today, and was able to find a modest number of both potatoes and Japanese cucumbers at the local Foodland branch near my home in central BKK.

In the past, their bins and shelves would have been stocked full with such things. But with the tourist trade and many expats vanished from that Foodland's neighborhood, their stocks of such perishable things are down to just enough to take up some shelf/bin space.

I was reminded to think of Foodland (which I've rarely used for in-person shopping since COVID worsened here) when I received one of their flyers in the mail promoting their "shop online" website... Unfortunately, when I checked both their website and the related Android app, both are entirely in Thai language and the website doesn't function well with Google Translate, making them non-starters for a non-Thai reader such as myself.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Up in Chiang Mai even the roadside veg stalls seem to sell potatoes.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:11 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm usually buying from this place, all within Thailand.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/food-variety/

BTW, wanted to say thanks for your mention here of the Food Variety shop on Lazada... which I had never heard of before, until seeing your post.

I went thru their web-store last night, saw all the different things they have in stock, found quite a few that I'm interested in including things I've never seen in the major farang supermarkets here, and placed an online order with them last night. It's due for delivery later this week.

The prices seemed quite good. The one thing for starters that I'm a bit nervous about is the extent to which they may be selling food items that are at or near their "best before" expiration dates. I only wonder about that because, quite of few of the items I saw were listed at considerable discounts from their normal list prices.

No fresh food, of course. But lots of canned, bottled and packaged stuff.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

I do not find the BITTER orange jam anymore at Tesco Lotus or even that 24 hours supermarket in front of ViewTalay 1 who had it always in suply ......☹️

Only that  sugar sweet variant is for sale

5 hours ago, david555 said:

I do not find the BITTER orange jam anymore at Tesco Lotus or even that 24 hours supermarket in front of ViewTalay 1 who had it always in suply ......☹️

Only that  sugar sweet variant is for sale

It seems Tesco eliminated a lot of their prior imported items when the UK Tesco corporate part departed and was replaced with new Thai corporate ownership. That included, as best as I can tell, the loss of most or all of the "Tesco's Finest" import line they had previously stocked.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 5:34 PM, BritManToo said:

I've been enjoying Tandoori chicken from Sherwood Tandoori paste sold on Lazada.

Interesting, they had a real tasty 'Madras paste' many years ago and then ditched it, you could even get 2KG catering sized plastic tubs of the stuff which I froze at the time.

Suddenly out of nowhere they stopped selling it - looks like it might be back on the menu now!

• Like 1