What Favorite Foods Are Not Available Now?

J Town

My guilty pleasures were Florida's Natural grapefruit juice and Casa Freitas refried beans. I believe, due to disruption in the supply chain, these items have been unavailable for about a month from the places normally carrying them (namely Villa Market). Anyone else notice their favorite items missing from the shelves?

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, champers said:

No fish fingers at Tops in Central on Beach Road. They had 2 types before. Woe is me.

Did you look in Friendship and Foodmart  ?   

I think I even saw some "Captain Birds Eye's" in Tescos'ssss

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 5:46 PM, J Town said:

Anyone else notice their favorite items missing from the shelves?

Quite the opposite.

Lazada are now shipping items I've never seen here before.

I've been enjoying Tandoori chicken from Sherwood Tandoori paste sold on Lazada.

And I've plenty of HP Sauce and Typhoo Tea bags. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Quite the opposite.

I've been enjoying Tandoori chicken from Sherwood Tandoori paste sold on Lazada.

But my favorites (as a described in original post) are not available, even from Lazada.

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Quite the opposite.

Interesting.  Is it from overseas sellers, or from within Thailand?

14 hours ago, J Town said:

But my favorites (as a described in original post) are not available, even from Lazada.

Casa Freitas refried beans from villa come and go even in the best of times...I do agree they are the best refried beans.......Villas stock of refried beans has been extra spotty ever since covid hit......

On 7/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, champers said:

No fish fingers at Tops in Central on Beach Road. They had 2 types before. Woe is me.

Same here. I always buy the Waitrose Cod Fish Fingers. The Haddock ones were last to go. Been nothing here for months now.

AS OP said, it seems like the supply chains have been disrupted. probably due to COVID and/or that ship getting stuck in the Suez Canal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Same here. I always buy the Waitrose Cod Fish Fingers. The Haddock ones were last to go. Been nothing here for months now.

AS OP said, it seems like the supply chains have been disrupted. probably due to COVID and/or that ship getting stuck in the Suez Canal.

Villa have  (Birds Eye I think).

Edited by couchpotato
  • Like 1

Formerly available at Villa, but no longer:

Johnsonville Cheddar Brats

Australian beef meatballs

Green Giant brussels sprouts (brand they carry now isn't as good)

Chi-Chi's salsa

Crusty's Chili Crab popcorn (Singapore product which they seemed to have for about a three-month period, then disappeared)

F.east Fish Curry potato chips (also from Singapore, also disappeared after a couple months)

formerly available at almost any supermarket, but no longer:

Campbell's Cream of Celery soup

Mama "Oriental Kitchen" Mi Goreng noodles (which I'm guessing they simply don't make anymore)

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - they stock some other Reese's product now, but not the same ????

Wild Turkey American Honey whiskey

On a related note, outside of Villa Market (which stocks a wide selection of imported items / brands), it surprises me sometimes how certain items seemed to be stocked by only one chain.  For example, Tops seems to be the only supermarket that stocks Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese.  Only one pharmacy I've found in Bangkok, on Soi 15, appears to carry K-Y "LIQUID".  

...and to reply to OP:  While grapefruit juice isn't my thing, I could swear I've seen Florida Natural Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice at a couple of places, namely Foodland (the one I go to is The Street Mall, Ratchada) and Tops Rama 9.

7 minutes ago, Rael007 said:

<snip>

and to reply to OP:  While grapefruit juice isn't my thing, I could swear I've seen Florida Natural Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice at a couple of places, namely Foodland (the one I go to is The Street Mall, Ratchada) and Tops Rama 9.

I'm ON MY WAY!!! Thanx!

On 7/16/2021 at 4:19 PM, worgeordie said:

It really is surprising all the food stuff you can get

here now, years ago things like Shredded Wheat

could go missing for years, and the only way I 

could get my favorites was to have family bring

it over for me,less clothes ,you can buy here cheap,

more goods in the cases...

I can remember my excitement at seeing my first

red pepper (Capisicum ),the only tea available,

was Lipton's yellow label, you could leave it in

the cup for a week and it was still as weak as

<deleted>, many a time something good would come

in, sell out and you never seen it again.

So you can just about get everything you want from

the West, plus supplies of cheap exotic fruits,good

vegetables,I just wish they would grow Parsnips and

Turnips (Swedes) here, the ones from Oz are at crazy

prices.

Regards Worgeordie

Mostly true, although meat pies can be a challenge if not made locally. When I lived in Bangkok I would buy some from Villa, but the price leapt from around 80 baht to 125 or more. I could buy similar in the UK for 30 baht in my local Tesco. When I first came here around 26 years ago finding potatoes was a challenge too. They would sell a few in my local market, and the seller once asked my wife what they were.

There were far fewer supermarkets too. I thought when I moved out of Bangkok to a village in Kalasin Province that I'd need to buy a chest freezer and make monthly 250 km round trips to Khon Kaen to stock up. Then a Big C supermarket opened 50 kms from me in Kalasin, followed by a Makro there, and now I have a Tesco and Big C just 10 kms away. The Tesco came after the Big C and is only a couple of hundred metres from it, and immediately took at least 90% of Big C's trade. Lucky if they have three cars in their car park now, and they might belong to staff. They do have some good stuff though and often on sale (just bought lots of 209 baht Mainland cheese for 100), and it will be interesting to see what the new owners of Tesco (Big C) do with it. I suspect they'll close it.

• Like 1