What Favorite Foods Are Not Available Now?

J Town

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The prices seemed quite good. The one thing for starters that I'm a bit nervous about is the extent to which they may be selling food items that are at or near their "best before" expiration dates.

Looks at HP Sauce ...... 11/22 ..... looks at Typhoo Tea .... 11/23 ......

• Like 1

was in Tesco  N Pattaya yesterday ,they had very little ,not even fugi apples , as said before since they have been taken over the amount of stuff that has not been replaced is quite high ,dont think we will bother to go there very often ,

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just to update on my "Food Variety" order via Lazada, it arrived at home today and I was pleasantly surprised, nee even impressed.

My stuff arrived super quick too. 

For grapefruit juice try Chabaa brand, it's not Ruby Red but tasty. It is labeled Pomelo juice. What I would like to find is pickled pork hocks in the jar. Found pickled eggs though.

Edited by walt1
addition

On 7/22/2021 at 6:08 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just to update on my "Food Variety" order via Lazada, it arrived at home today and I was pleasantly surprised, nee even impressed.

I ordered about a half dozen different imported farang food things, and everything arrived in a strong sturdy box. Every single item inside was individually wrapped in thin bubble wrap plastic. All the packaged and canned food items were in good/clean/undamaged condition. And all except one had various expiration dates well into 2022....  So, I was pleased and impressed.

Will be ordering from them again!  Just to note, most of their products seem to be UK imports... But I won't hold that against them.... I can eat UK produced granola just as well as the U.S. produced stuff!  ????

Seem to be out of stock of most things I want, still has Branston pickle though and Tyhoo tea bags. Wish they did better soups than Heinz, they have too much sugar, Baxters would be better

On 7/14/2021 at 5:46 PM, J Town said:

My guilty pleasures were Florida's Natural grapefruit juice and Casa Freitas refried beans. I believe, due to disruption in the supply chain, these items have been unavailable for about a month from the places normally carrying them (namely Villa Market). Anyone else notice their favorite items missing from the shelves?

I don't think its a supply chain issue, but a loss of foreign customers that buy the imported products. They can't sell them so they don't order them. There have been a huge number of sales of imported products reaching their expiry dates over the last year, and once they are gone, that's it. You won't see them again. Recently I've seen the disappearance of one of my favourites - V8 Juice (and also Campbell's tomato juice). It's gone from Friendship and recently Tops at Central was selling their last near-expiry stock for a buy one get one deal. I took the last of it.

Keep an eye on expiry dates.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:00 AM, Leaver said:

With expats leaving Pattaya, it's only a matter of time before retail businesses catering for expats start to decrease their supply of western products.  

Bingo! It's all disappearing fast. Grab what you like while you can.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

If there's a problem with the product, Lazada will get you a refund even if you cannot contact the seller. Lazada just advises you to start off with trying to contact the seller. The seller has a certain time to respond, and if they don't, Lazada steps in. I've never had a problem getting refunds.

Thanks a lot, but my gripe with Lazada is not the refunds, it is the crooked sellers with their deceitful advertising, this is the third time now with me.

They even let you think they have a chatline, but they don't anymore, just a virtual one, try it and see.

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks a lot, but my gripe with Lazada is not the refunds, it is the crooked sellers with their deceitful advertising, this is the third time now with me.

They even let you think they have a chatline, but they don't anymore, just a virtual one, try it and see.

it's still a better option that buying directly from overseas on sites such as Aliexpress, eBay etc. The main reason is the ease of sending stuff back and getting refunds. You don't need much of a reason for a full refund either and return shipping is free and easy. If you buy something expensive, look for sellers offering warranties. I got a refund on an Oral B electric tooth brush 9 months later as they had offered a 1 year warranty. Taking a screenshot of the item with information about the warranty is a good idea too.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 4:26 PM, walt1 said:

For grapefruit juice try Chabaa brand, it's not Ruby Red but tasty. It is labeled Pomelo juice. What I would like to find is pickled pork hocks in the jar. Found pickled eggs though.

So you're saying their pomelo juice is actually grapefruit juice.? 

Interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

it's still a better option that buying directly from overseas on sites such as Aliexpress, eBay etc. The main reason is the ease of sending stuff back and getting refunds. You don't need much of a reason for a full refund either and return shipping is free and easy. If you buy something expensive, look for sellers offering warranties. I got a refund on an Oral B electric tooth brush 9 months later as they had offered a 1 year warranty. Taking a screenshot of the item with information about the warranty is a good idea too.

You never mentioned what my main gripe with Lazada is, their advertising, they advertised a bed I wanted to buy for my dog as, in the exact words Big Dog Bed. It was hardly big enough for one of my cats. I am not on about warranties or refunds. do you get it?

11 hours ago, rott said:

So you're saying their pomelo juice is actually grapefruit juice.? 

Interesting. 

I had never heard of pomelo before and had it at a friends house and liked it. The package says 100% pomelo juice on the front but the ingredients show some grape juice. All I know is that it looks and tastes like white grapefruit juice. I'll have to look it up sometime.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Pomelo is a variety of grapefruit.

Tastes exactly the same, but the fruit is bigger and drier.

Pomelo I have eaten does not taste the same as grapefruit so there you go. Probably my favourite fruit since I first arrived here though, followed by dragon fruit and canteloupe. Been eating a lot of farang/guava lately. 

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You never mentioned what my main gripe with Lazada is, their advertising, they advertised a bed I wanted to buy for my dog as, in the exact words Big Dog Bed. It was hardly big enough for one of my cats. I am not on about warranties or refunds. do you get it?

I don't think you get it. Your gripe is included, although not specifically.

Just send it back, get a refund, then order again or not.

Even easier, pay COD and that way if it's not suitable, don't pay.

You're making a huge fuss over nothing at all.

(I apologize for making you sad by offering common sense advice)

Edited by JensenZ
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

Pomelo I have eaten does not taste the same as grapefruit so there you go. Probably my favourite fruit since I first arrived here though, followed by dragon fruit and canteloupe. Been eating a lot of farang/guava lately. 

Pomelo is like a sweet grapefruit. There are yellow and red varieties.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Pomelo is a variety of grapefruit.

Tastes exactly the same, but the fruit is bigger and drier.

Pomelo is the Spanish word for grapefruit, and it looks like a big orange.

But grapefruit has nothing to do with grapes, despite its name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit

Grapefruits - whole-halved-segments.jpg

Edited by Espanol
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Pomelo is the Spanish word for grapefruit, and it looks like a big orange.

But grapefruit has nothing to do with grapes, despite its name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit

Grapefruits - whole-halved-segments.jpg

I had always known it as sommo from my earliest days here. I usually explain to people that the flavour and texture is like a mix of grapefruit and orange but identical to neither. 

Interesting to know that Pomelo is the Spanish translation, also that the fruit is indigenous to S EAsia but is cultivated in many places. 

Last time I spoke of it to UK people very few were aware of it. 

Could be different now though. 

Bought some off a lady in the Soi earlier, very nice too. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:13 PM, moogradod said:

It could well be that I even bought the Südheide there - have not been there for quite a while now.

It was...they still stock it. There were at least two left on the shelf. Didn't bother to check the price as I am sure that you don't care. But don't think it was outlandish.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

It was...they still stock it. There were at least two left on the shelf. Didn't bother to check the price as I am sure that you don't care. But don't think it was outlandish.

Thank you very much for checking. So I know where to look and ask. I would not send my wife there tomorrow just because of that but the next time she goes shopping (we currently limit our shopping tours a bit, some sort of limited self quarantine) she will have a look and grab what she can.

20 hours ago, walt1 said:

I had never heard of pomelo before and had it at a friends house and liked it. The package says 100% pomelo juice on the front but the ingredients show some grape juice. All I know is that it looks and tastes like white grapefruit juice. I'll have to look it up sometime.

Betchya it says 100% juice..... a common approach these days to allow juice mixes. 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:02 PM, JensenZ said:

Bingo! It's all disappearing fast. Grab what you like while you can.

You can't grab a lifetime's worth.  Stocking your kitchen now is only a short term fix. 

The common products with high turn over will continue to be available, but the products that move slower with not continue to be offered for sale.  They will become harder to get, even post covid.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, Bruno123 said:

Wifey grabbed 3 glasses of it. Very helpful. Thank you again.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, thurien said:

HEINZ baked beans in Khorat / Joho...to be fair: also in the past they were never to be found here...

Try Branston from Britishop online.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, champers said:

No fish fingers at Tops in Central on Beach Road. They had 2 types before. Woe is me.

No but instead of the compressed fish gut, you can get 300-400 gr. real Cod for under 250 baht.

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Try Branston from Britishop online.

No but instead of the compressed fish gut, you can get 300-400 gr. real Cod for under 250 baht.

The fish fingers in Tops are Waitrose from UK. Back in stock a couple of weeks ago. I did try some fish sticks made with pollock which were nice if a bit on the small side. Pollock is similar taste to cod but flaky rather than dense texture.

Haywards mixed pickle now on my missing items list, along with pickled baby beets, Baxters or Heinz. The baby beets go well with my "go to" hot smoked salmon fillets which are also out of stock at Tops.

• Like 1

Just now, champers said:

The fish fingers in Tops are Waitrose from UK. Back in stock a couple of weeks ago. I did try some fish sticks made with pollock which were nice if a bit on the small side. Pollock is similar taste to cod but flaky rather than dense texture.

Haywards mixed pickle now on my missing items list, along with pickled baby beets, Baxters or Heinz. The baby beets go well with my "go to" hot smoked salmon fillets which are also out of stock at Tops.

Just messed with you little bit ???? I know there are good fish fingers with nice pollock. Actually buys frozen pollock when they have in Makro. I also have some stuff that I personally miss. However, generally I have been finding more and a wider variety during the pandemic.

• Thanks 1