Thai netizens mostly endorse Thaksin’s vow to return

webfact

14 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

He was not perfect, but he was properly elected civilian.  

Nobody is properly elected in Thailand. He bought his votes just like everyone else.  Every time there is an election there are the guys handing out cash to vote for their guy.  

14 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I totally agree with this.

It seems that there are many on this board who were not living in Thailand under Thaksin's reign or are (conveniently) ignorant of the facts.

He lined his own pockets with money that belonged to the Thai people and then went into hiding out in Dubai when he got found out.

When he had established his new base of operations he then got his sister into power, as his proxy, so that he could rape the country's coffers some more.

On top of this he orchestrated an extra-judicial killing campaign disguised as his 'War on drugs',  in which 2,200 people were killed in a 3 month period.

Conveniently, some of the slain drug dealers happened to be political opposition.

The idiot currently in power really does have to go but who in their right minds would want to replace him with a criminal of this magnitude?

You forgot the big one.. Taskin is the one that started the whole crack done on immigration visas, visa exempts. 

No more endless boarder runs....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A report from the junta that removed Thaksin three years after the war on drugs was concluded.

The Royally endorsed report conducted by the Police at the time has a completely different conclusion, unsurprisingly. 

does it really matter how many were not drug dealers? 2500+ people were killed by the police, who just went out and killed people. No arrests, no jail, no jury!  Just shot and killed at the scene, all sanctioned by the government. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, faraday said:

Course you have Bertie, of course you have.

*Laughing emoji*

These multi- billionaires, are able to have, exactly what they want. 

I doubt that the benevolent  (555!) pharmaceutical companies, would object if one of these super rich people turned up with a fist full of Dollars & wanted buy some vials.

Big pharma operates to make money - lots of it. They are certainly not here to 'help the people'.

Amongst our "purchasing team" were an international pharmaceutical company licensed to and importing medicines, a multi €uro millionair guaranteeing advance payment for 1 million vacs at a time. We got promises but untill now not fullfilled, the best reply so far we received from the Gamaleya Institute in Moscow, producer of the Sputnik so we are aiming at them.

As for you I guess you are just assuming without any knowledge or evidence, in other words ; BS !

BTW, I don't trust you anymore.

3 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

they love him and he can turn things around but yelow shirts stand in the way.sorry state of affairs

I read that conditions are now so bad both the Yellow and Red Shirts are having separate anti-junta demos in Bangkok. Thai media seems to have been given the green light ramp up its criticism too. Smells like a coup is on its way so a new General can be installed replacing the old boss's guy.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 9:52 AM, scorecard said:

Further, most of the big pharma are fully listed on various stock exchanges, with many shareholders holding very big parcels of shares, all for a specific reason; very strong return on investment and that also means massive greed.

Many of these shareholders have zero interest in ethics or morals, they strongly/ruthlessly expect the paid management to take/create many opportunities to make big sales for revenues/margin and to help increase share prices and annual returns to shareholders.

If the paid management aren't playing the role as above the shareholders at AGMs/extra shareholders meetings will get very angry with paid management and have no hesitation to vote to change the paid management on the spot.  

Extra massive sales outside of ethics is a given / is expected.

I recall a point in a project in Japan, the management had decided that they needed to urgently change the structure/strategies of the company and they did.

Sales in the next 30 days slumped by just a few %, but the data/trends showed that sales would return and increase within 60 days. The major shareholders decided to call an AGM to be held in the next 48 hours. I am my snr. consultants attended the meeting and we listened to continuous translations of the meeting dialogue.

At the AGM shareholders displayed extreme anger and several threatened the paid management with death, and they had their paid always present ruthless & frightening mafia with them at the meeting.

The paid management very quickly resigned. Several of the major shareholders present quickly presented new candidates, all the candidates were quickly duly elected and started work on the spot with newly given strategies, goals and targets, much bigger than before.

Near the end of the meeting one of the very angry big shareholders asked for a vote to immediately remove me and my consulting company, a vote happened and was passed. I and my company were then mentioned by name by the shareholder who had asked for the vote, we were told in strong language to leave the meeting immediately and never return to the company premises. The Japanese translators with heads buried in their upturned coat collars ran quickly from the room and into taxis and gone.

It happens.

Well one does not invest to loose funds.

What described is general business practice.

However one cannot deny, despite profit margins and huge risks taken, that Pharmas have save billions of lives, and in some cases given men erections, who other wise would not achieve them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, faraday said:

You just commented on my last paragraph - which was a slightly, but true, 'throwaway line'.

So really, your post could be considered irrelevant.

You got to take the good with the bad, at least acknowledge that they have done some very good things in the world, and invested in research, it ain't a one way street.

17 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

So they are too stupid to vote correctly and when they did choose someone it is because they received payment.

If you desperately need 300 baht, or would simply like 300 baht to have a drinking session with your mates, I do not see it as stupid. Likely would make little difference to their lives whoever gets voted in. 

• Like 2

On 7/15/2021 at 5:10 AM, candide said:

Well, it doesn't look like those who have made a fortune on the back of people since the 2006 coup have been helpful either........

Irrelevant.  Those aren't the ones being spoken about like some sort of folk hero "man of the people" who will be coming to save the day.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:38 AM, pegman said:

It's been mostly all down hill since that nite in May/2014 when sweetie and I were told by a movie house manager that they were closed because the army was in the streets. My first and so far only  coup d'état. 

I remember the night when the 9pm(?) curfew came, everything was closed even ATMs, where i am, come around 10pm my missus was still not home from work, I rang her ''where are you?"  '' Karaoke tilak" LMFO the locals here just took it in their stride and had a last chance party.

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

does it really matter how many were not drug dealers? 2500+ people were killed by the police, who just went out and killed people. No arrests, no jail, no jury!  Just shot and killed at the scene, all sanctioned by the government. 

Sanctioned by higher authority than the government mate.

It was an overwhelmingly popular policy among Thais too, and effective. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Sanctioned by higher authority than the government mate.

It was an overwhelmingly popular policy among Thais too, and effective. 

"It was an overwhelmingly popular policy among Thais too, and effective."

I don't believe that. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, scorecard said:

I don't believe that. 

The famous 'Birthday Speech' assured that it would be popular among the masses. I recall at the time nearly every Thai I spoke to supported it. 

Also, as to its effectiveness, the price of yaba shot up from 10-15thb per pill to 100thb+ overnight. Supply was down, dealers and manufacturers were off the streets, see here:

"While that didn’t please human rights advocates, the anti-drug campaign’s impact on street-level drug dealing and use was significant, especially after Thaksin gave himself an eight-month extension to complete the dragnet. By the end of 2003, according the U.S. State Department’s International Narcotics Control Strategy Report (INCSR), 73,231 people were arrested, over 23 million drug pills were seized, and 320,000 drug users surrendered to undergo treatment. With the price of yaa baa (the drug of choice among most Thai users) doubling, availability and consumption declined significantly.

Read more: https://globalnation.inquirer.net/140782/gains-from-thailands-bloody-war-on-drugs-proved-fleeting#ixzz70k2MleUh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I don't believe that. 

Correct, has made <deleted> - all difference to the drug trade other than eliminating a lot of completion among the low level traders and settling old scores - as for those innocent people murdered who had nothing to do with drugs, along with their families - I'm sure it wasn't overwhelmingly popular. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The famous 'Birthday Speech' assured that it would be popular among the masses. I recall at the time nearly every Thai I spoke to supported it. 

Also, as to its effectiveness, the price of yaba shot up from 10-15thb per pill to 100thb+ overnight. Supply was down, dealers and manufacturers were off the streets, see here:

"While that didn’t please human rights advocates, the anti-drug campaign’s impact on street-level drug dealing and use was significant, especially after Thaksin gave himself an eight-month extension to complete the dragnet. By the end of 2003, according the U.S. State Department’s International Narcotics Control Strategy Report (INCSR), 73,231 people were arrested, over 23 million drug pills were seized, and 320,000 drug users surrendered to undergo treatment. With the price of yaa baa (the drug of choice among most Thai users) doubling, availability and consumption declined significantly.

Read more: https://globalnation.inquirer.net/140782/gains-from-thailands-bloody-war-on-drugs-proved-fleeting#ixzz70k2MleUh

Trust you read the full article and well noted the negative side of the campaign and the resulting longer term outcome. 

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the eradication of drug dealers at all levels, although not possible in this country - for reasons we are all well aware of - clearly evident as there is currently a convicted dealer in the present government. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Irrelevant.  Those aren't the ones being spoken about like some sort of folk hero "man of the people" who will be coming to save the day.

It is relevant. The post I replied to was evoking a kind of moral standard not met by Thaksin despite his fortune. The fact that others don't meet this standard questions the relevance of the standard.

1 hour ago, candide said:

The fact that others don't meet this standard questions the relevance of the standard.

It doesn't.  They aren't being spoken of in the same way.  They aren't being talked about as the same kind of person.  The very fact that they don't meet the standard is what supposedly makes Thaksin special.

The behavior of one group of wealthy people who are not thought of as folk heroes who care about the people is not relevant to the behavior of a wealthy person who is.

It's the reference of his character as being different to other wealthy people leading to his popularity and the idea that he would return to save the people who he cares about that makes people want him to come back.  Comparing his behavior to other wealthy people who don't have the same reputation is a false equivalence.

It's irrelevant.

5 hours ago, Artisi said:

Trust you read the full article and well noted the negative side of the campaign and the resulting longer term outcome. 

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the eradication of drug dealers at all levels, although not possible in this country - for reasons we are all well aware of - clearly evident as there is currently a convicted dealer in the present government. 

Eradication is not even a remote possibility, what is required is a well structured two pronged approach, harm minimization  and effective treatment and rehab programmes, as well address the cause of the usage in the first place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Eradication is not even a remote possibility, what is required is a well structured two pronged approach, harm minimization  and effective treatment and rehab programmes, as well address the cause of the usage in the first place. 

More chance of Thailand's space programme reaching the moon before any worthwhile initiatives are implimented addressing the drug problems.