Thai netizens mostly endorse Thaksin’s vow to return

webfact

1 hour ago, Excel said:

The same analogy was used to justify Mao in his Chinese revolution. But at the end of the day nearly all of th people thought that having 2 bowls of rice to eat was better than before when they had only one. The same principle remains today and if you think people took money from one candidate and then voted for that same candidate at the election then well sorry, you are more stupid then you give normal Thais credit for.

Stupid.

There's also much comment that many folks took the bribes and were frightened to NOT vote for the bribe givers.

During the several years before the current poor performing incompetent gov't I worked in Bkk with a loud overbearing Thai lady, family upcountry, father a local snr policeman and an open canvasser for the incumbent party of that time.

She also bragged about her fathers 'instructions' to the locals, telling them who they had to vote for. And she also spoke about the locals being told 'if you vote for another party we will know'. She also spoke about deliberate targeting of folks who made any anti comments, driving them out of their town etc., by serious intimidation.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

I disagree do you believe the human right watch or Thai investigations ? I mean the Thai investigations cleared the army (something i dont think is good) But human right watch did not.

Anyway i say they should both held responsible and the way it looks is that Thaksin dwarfed the victims of the army. Just read it.

Anyway you are right that the yellow greens often get away and that is totally unjust no argument there. I mean drugdealer in goverment says it all doesnt it.

My point is Thaksin is a crook this bunch are crooks why replace one with the other and not try for something better. Anyway i really hope to see the last of Prayut and his army buddies. Not hopeful but it is my wish.

it is not a Human Rights Watch investigation though. It was done by the Junta in 2007 under Gen. Surayud as I have explained many times. 

4 minutes ago, candide said:

Don't misunderstand me. There has been some investigation about the killings and there's no doubt about it. The main desagreement is about how many really died from it, but it's a detail (so to say, as people died).

What has not happened is an extensive judicial investigation about the responsibilities, I.e. who was involved in the chain of command, who ordered exactly what, who took advantage of it to settle private conflicts, etc.... The fact that even the Dems and the Junta have swept it under the carpet clearly suggests there is more than Thaksin's involvement in it. They surely did not bury it in order to protect Thaksin.

Exactly. That particularly ugly chapter of recent Thai history cannot be discussed properly due to existing draconian laws so better let it rest for now.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

mr meeseeks.    you are now nominated to head up the FOB  Committee  ( not to be mistaken for the SOB  Committee which has lifetime members ).    Your  Factual, Objective, Balanced

Committee will be comprised of members you deem worthy of carrying out your mission.

1.  Finding Facts   2.  Finding questions to determine which facts you will be finding  3 . Creating a suitable menu for the 3 hour buffet lunches   4. Creating new set of standard replies to the question :   why are things working out so poorly .

The purchase of uniform and chest decorations will be paid for by the members .   

Note:  mods will not be allowed on this committee as they already belong to another one.

chok dee 

Sounds like the real world job I do at the moment. 

Almost home time for tea and medals now as it goes.

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Despite a very obvious tendency to promote his own wealth, he did actually seek to address the plight of the poor in Thailand, and was instrumental in developing the universal health care scheme. What we've had since has not been good imo.

But don't ignore that the Dem party actually proposed the 30Baht health scheme and were about to implement it but an election was called and thaksin's mob quickly offered the same health deal. 

55 minutes ago, candide said:

Don't misunderstand me. My point is that it's also the yellow/green network which prevented any serious investigation into the responsibilities in the war on drugs. There have been some investigations about the killings and there's no doubt that it happened. The main desagreement is about how many really died from it, but it's a detail (so to say, as people died). There have been a lot of extra-judicial killings.

What has not happened is an extensive judicial investigation about the responsibilities, I.e. who was involved in the chain of command, who ordered exactly what, who took advantage of it to settle private conflicts, etc.... The fact that even the Dems and the Junta have swept it under the carpet clearly suggests there is more than Thaksin's involvement in it. They surely did not bury it in order to protect Thaksin.

Of course others were involved too. But you know the buck stops at the PM. He was the one that made the policy and if it went so wrong and he did nothing he is as guilty as those in the army and dems. I mean this does not make him any less guilty.

Thailand is a big mess, i keep hoping for better governments only to see them all do the same. Protec themselves, play down failures muzzle the press. Maybe its time for me to accept that there wont be any improvement here soon. 

Be it Thaksin or Prayut or whoever (i still see the future forward guy as a good guy) will probably do the same. Consolidate power eliminate their opponents and line their pockets. 

I just hate seeing stuff like that.

53 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

it is not a Human Rights Watch investigation though. It was done by the Junta in 2007 under Gen. Surayud as I have explained many times. 

Your correct, i re read the article. However does that make any difference ?  Do you think an army general would inflate it. Just like candide said there were more people involved and the report stayed hidden for a long time. If it was inflated to make Thaksin look bad then they would have used it.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Stupid.

There's also much comment that many folks took the bribes and were frightened to NOT vote for the bribe givers.

During the several years before the current poor performing incompetent gov't I worked in Bkk with a loud overbearing Thai lady, family upcountry, father a local snr policeman and an open canvasser for the incumbent party of that time.

She also bragged about her fathers 'instructions' to the locals, telling them who they had to vote for. And she also spoke about the locals being told 'if you vote for another party we will know'. She also spoke about deliberate targeting of folks who made any anti comments, driving them out of their town etc., by serious intimidation.  

Comments may be but ignorance as you do not live with those folk say it all

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Drug addiction, which often leads to dealing, is not a moral failing and calling them scum is narrow-minded. Drug addiction is a disease(like cancer) and all who suffer from it should get the same compassion, not get shot, with no trial, because of it.

Yes, apologies - badly worded. Not my accusation but using a commonly associated word. They may or may not have been scum but you are right, that is not the point. Thaksin's actions were indiscriminate and, as I understand it, based on regional quotas. However, please do not try to tell me that all drug dealers were not scum - that is one step too high in the moral high ground.

• Like 1

great   !      return and he'll be locked up,   he's a wanted fugitive.  Just what Khun Prayut would love to see as most of Thailand would also.

don't they ever give up .......   he's gone ,   finished ,  kaput   !!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

'mostly' endorse - typical bs propaganda either for comments or to tickle the imagination of left over dinosaurs still floating around this site...

promoted by the media to increase revenue / clicks / sales.

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

great   !      return and he'll be locked up,   he's a wanted fugitive.  Just what Khun Prayut would love to see as most of Thailand would also.

don't they ever give up .......   he's gone ,   finished ,  kaput   !!!!

HEEEEEEEE'S BAAAAAACK!!!!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Drug addiction, which often leads to dealing, is not a moral failing and calling them scum is narrow-minded. Drug addiction is a disease(like cancer) and all who suffer from it should get the same compassion, not get shot, with no trial, because of it.

Drug addiction is not a disease. It's a path that is wrong as everyone knows and the user chose that path. 

Everyone knows right from wrong,  even a three year old kid ..... 

Duterte sorted that mess out ......   good job.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really? I didn't see any scared people when the last two coups happend.

I saw lots of people bringing flower and soft drinks to the soldiers.

large_iFqCQJJ8f7B3EkEE.jpg

I remember being at Lumpini Night Bazaar when the 2006 coup occurred. All of a sudden the vendors were pulling down their shutters and closing up shop. My Thai friend was called home and I returned home in Silom in the rain. TV news stations were blocked and the streets were full of tanks the next morning. Was also there for 2014 coup but that one was no big surprise.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

But don't ignore that the Dem party actually proposed the 30Baht health scheme and were about to implement it but an election was called and thaksin's mob quickly offered the same health deal. 

IIRC wasn't that Democrat government disgraced by Suthep and corruption? 

2 hours ago, jcmj said:

I’d welcome her m any day over the <deleted> we have now. Things were much better for the Foreigners and country with him than this bunch of buffoons

555  Yesterday the Bangkok Post (bless 'em sensitive souls) blocked my same one word post yesterday!