Phuket marks another three Sandbox tourist infections

webfact

1626319590_1-org.jpg

Image: PPHO

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Another three Sandbox tourists have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of Sandbox tourists who have tested positive for the virus since July 1 to 10, according to the daily COVID situation report issued by the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) report for yesterday (July 14)

The PPHO report also marked eight new local infections, bringing the total number of people infected in Phuket since Apr 3 to 797.

All Phuket Sandbox arrivals who test positive after landing in Phuket are not included in the total number of infections on the island, despite testing negative immediately after landing at the airport but testing positive after their first week on the island.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-another-three-sandbox-tourist-infections-80685.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-07-15

• Haha 2

Just now, smedly said:

How are these people being infected ?????

I have said this before and will repeat it 

There must be community covid infections in Phuket - the lack of detail in these reports stinks of a coverup

How many random tests were carried in Phuket since 1st July - I would have thought this a priority to maintain sandbox integrety and safety

we have fully vaccinated tourists mixing with locals and they are picking up infections - why 

Wondered the same.......but have they even been there long enough to be infected whilst there?

Is there something serious wrong with the timing and reliance of a 72 hour test before travel?

Or are they picking up the virus after the 72 hour test, but in transit?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, smedly said:

There must be community covid infections in Phuket - the lack of detail in these reports stinks of a coverup

How many random tests were carried in Phuket since 1st July - I would have thought this a priority to maintain sandbox integrety and safety

we have fully vaccinated tourists mixing with locals and they are picking up infections - why 

My guess would be local markets, 2 got closed for a week in Rawai 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Cases will always be found. Sooner or later the hysterical Thai population will accept that Covid is another seasonal respiratory illness that can’t be eradicated and the country will finally open up again. Those who want to hide away in their basement can. 

One long season then, 12 months of the year. Get everyone vaccinated is the key.

Most of Phuket people got Sinocrap, many only one shot so for, others got 1 of AZ. And there's still a high nbr of people around without any jab yet. So, it's not a surprise but another fail of the people in charge. Live with it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

There were covid cases all the time with the ASQ arrivals in Bangkok, probably again they are bringing it in from overseas.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, gearbox said:

There were covid cases all the time with the ASQ arrivals in Bangkok, probably again they are bringing it in from overseas.

do you know the difference between ASQ and Sandbox 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

do you know the difference between ASQ and Sandbox 

I've been in ASQ and every day there were covid positive cases, who had negative PCR test 72 hours before...what makes you think that this is gone now. Vaccines? 42k cases yesterday in UK, how many were vaccinated from them?

4 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Cases will always be found. Sooner or later the hysterical Thai population will accept that Covid is another seasonal respiratory illness that can’t be eradicated and the country will finally open up again. Those who want to hide away in their basement can. 

Seasonal? Any source to back that statement up? Or your own speculation based on your own epidemical knowledge?

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I've been in ASQ and every day there were covid positive cases, who had negative PCR test 72 hours before...what makes you think that this is gone now. Vaccines? 42k cases yesterday in UK, how many were vaccinated from them?

how do you think they got infected, was there extra money involved for anyone testing positive, you were also not fully isolated, food delivery - cleaning etc - but hey

as for UK currently - go look it up, vast majority unvaccinated or only one shot

4 hours ago, smedly said:

Would you really trust their ability to ensure ALL Thais that come into contact with the "tourists" are Covid free?

I certainly wouldnt.

Edited by pookondee
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea lets get the full critical hospital beds cleared and the people vaccinated first then I would agree. 

There will be variants that are immune to the vaccine, most likely. What he said is 100% what should be done. There is never going to be a good time to open up.

In the coming years what we will see is nations that we more relaxed with their policies have populations that are immune for the most part. And, more importantly, the death tolls of these nations will be comparable to those with very strict policies, especially when taking into account excess deaths caused by lockdowns such as suicide and drug overdoses. 

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

how do you think they got infected, was there extra money involved for anyone testing positive, you were also not fully isolated, food delivery - cleaning etc - but hey

as for UK currently - go look it up, vast majority unvaccinated or only one shot

Look it up where..your government does not publish statistics on breakthrough cases.

https://theweek.com/coronavirus/1002363/breakthrough-covid-infections

Show us the complete stats and let the people decide whether the "vast majority" is not vaccinated or not. Hang on a second..that may have impact on a vaccine almost no country in the developed world wants.

5 minutes ago, Espanol said:

They come from many different countries and airports.

Only common denominator here is Phuket.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/6-phuket-sandbox-travellers-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19-since-july-1-reopening

The first case in the article tested positive on arrival at the airport, before entering Phuket. Close to hundred percent the case is imported, as one probably can't be Covid positive within 30 minutes of close contact. I went before through the procedure in Bangkok and the standards are quite high.

The case could have picked it in the 48 hours after the test, at the transit airports, or just has a fake certificate...who knows. I guess the fake cert could be ruled out, as once tested positive the cert is probably checked again with the issuers.

14 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

There will be variants that are immune to the vaccine, most likely. What he said is 100% what should be done. There is never going to be a good time to open up.

In the coming years what we will see is nations that we more relaxed with their policies have populations that are immune for the most part. And, more importantly, the death tolls of these nations will be comparable to those with very strict policies, especially when taking into account excess deaths caused by lockdowns such as suicide and drug overdoses. 

That crystal ball of yours working overtime

5 hours ago, webfact said:

All Phuket Sandbox arrivals who test positive after landing in Phuket are not included in the total number of infections on the island, despite testing negative immediately after landing at the airport but testing positive after their first week on the island.

Not going as smoothly as promised then... negative test on arrival but after a week tested positive.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Of course there are, it's everywhere.

The virus is all over the place since so few Thais are vaccinated.  If anybody believes that everybody on Phuket is vaccinated, they are fooling themselves.  And even if they were, being vaccinated does not guarantee that a person can not still carry the active virus or have symptoms from the virus. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smedly said:

The vaccine is not a 100% cure.... it lessons the impact of the virus if caught.

IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU IMMUNE

If Thailand are going to continue with the sandbox scheme it is going to have to come up with another plan of what to do with positive tested tourists.

They will not want to pay the quarantine fees that Thailand imposes if tested positive or lose precious holiday time, they will simply go elsewhere for a holiday [if they are genuine tourists].

Only those who need to be here will return.

If they are going to quarantine them after a positive test then they simply will not come.