Video: Disgruntled mobile phone customer trashes DTAC shop in Sri Racha

webfact

9 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Because the lone security guard was a bit nervous, but finally had to do something; so he grabbed the guy. But the guy looked as if he was going to overpower the guard, so people joined in en masse to assist. 

Starving people have nothing to do with me either, but I still try to make sure they have something to eat. 

You have lost all sense of community?

A situation like that is NOTHING TO DO WITH ME ( or any non employee ). If a huge corporation can't provide proper security and PO people at a very stressful time, it's THEIR problem if one of the angry dissatisfied customers breaks their products.

If the guy attacked the employees that would be a different situation.

It's good to hear that you are giving to the charities helping starving people all over the world. They need all the help they can get in these troubled times.

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

That's what the security guard signs up for ( the clue's in his job title ).

I've seen first hand people that try to help up and end up beaten...or worse.

If people want to play the hero they should expect what may come their way.

I have not lost sense of community, i mind my own business and don't get involved with issues that are not mine.

^^

Self described loss of all sense of community....

I get involved every single day.

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A situation like that is NOTHING TO DO WITH ME ( or any non employee ). If a huge corporation can't provide proper security and PO people at a very stressful time, it's THEIR problem if one of the angry dissatisfied customers breaks their products.

If the guy attacked the employees that would be a different situation.

It's good to hear that you are giving to the charities helping starving people all over the world. They need all the help they can get in these troubled times.

Note that no one got involved until the security guard was in danger. Then everyone jumped in to make sure the security guard wasn't hurt.

So they were protecting a person. 

That's ok, there are always heroes and zeroes.  Some will contribute to society in their everyday lives and others think only of themselves.

We see it every day on these forums.

What about the people here who give their advice for free? Should they mind their own business too?

Sounds like an excuse for being a coward. Never mind, hopefully someone will stand up for you when the time comes and you are too weak to stand up for yourself....even if you are not worth it.

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

Shocking, typical 10 Thai men pouncing on 1 poor dis satisfied customer.

Poor man was just asking why his phone service was cut. Laughing emojis, ohh they dont work.

The emojis are finally working for me now Colin. ????:offtopic:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

Well, the mental health of many around the world has suffered, to varying degrees.  

We look at this video clip and see an a**hole, but how many of us have had dealings with multinational companies where the simplest things just can't get done, which leads to frustration, and possibly phone abuse, and even violence, as in this case.  

I'm not condoning this guy's actions, just wondering if the DTAC company could have handled him, being the account holder / customer, better. 

As it turns out, this video clip is probably going to reflect more badly on DTAC than it will this guy.  

I have to say that I have dealt with all of the networks; having many of their SIM cards over the years. Thai mobile phone customer service is usually exemplary. They have fully refunded packages that didn't achieve ample speeds etc They don't keep you waiting that long to pick the call up.

So it might have something to do with how you approach people in the first place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

i'm always surprised why people want to get involved with something that has nothing to do with them.....

Why would you risk your own safety?

Agree, IMHO it's not desirable, if we want a civil society (and I hope we do), to encourage a vigilante / group vigilante approach to situations like this.

Developing and maintaining a strong/valuable civil society includes a specific/structured/authorised  'team' approach called 'the police', which is developed/employed/trained/responsible/accountable to handle such situations.

Encouraging a mob approach is in my view dangerous; there's a strong risk that multiple people see an angry situation and one person* jumps in to 'help' which very quickly prompts a mob* to jump in to 'help'.

(*  and in many/most such situations those who jump in little to zero detail/understanding of the cause etc., of the situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

No different than my M1 (7th grade) students. One finally decides to act out in the group, then they all do. Kids.

This is normal human reaction, studies have been done on such situations in the West. When calling for help it is no use calling out generally, nobody will jump in, they will just watch, you have to focus on one individual who will then feel morally obliged to help and then the rest of the crowd joins in.

In the UK a man sexually assaulted a young women on a train, everybody looked away, it was shown later through enactments that had she called out 'help me" to one specific person instead of just screaming the whole carriage would have jumped in to help.

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

What about the people here who give their advice for free? Should they mind their own business too?

Sounds like an excuse for being a coward. Never mind, hopefully someone will stand up for you when the time comes and you are too weak to stand up for yourself....even if you are not worth it.

Oooh, I am so upset at being accused of being a coward, NOT.

I give loads of "free" advice on TVF and before that on Lonely Planet, but I don't expect any payoff for doing so. After all the point of a forum like this is to give and receive advice.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Oooh, I am so upset at being accused of being a coward, NOT.

I give loads of "free" advice on TVF and before that on Lonely Planet, but I don't expect any payoff for doing so. After all the point of a forum like this is to give and receive advice.

That is exactly my point. If you are giving "free" advice, then you are getting involved. 

You are only confirming what I have written in the first place. 

So why criticise when other people are doing exactly the same thing? Community. 

This forum is also a community of sorts. We help and advise total strangers for no apparent benefit other than showing community spirit. Share information that may be of use. It's not much different from everyone piling in to make sure that no one gets seriously hurt. They were reticent individually, but strong together.  Community.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I have to say that I have dealt with all of the networks; having many of their SIM cards over the years. Thai mobile phone customer service is usually exemplary. They have fully refunded packages that didn't achieve ample speeds etc They don't keep you waiting that long to pick the call up.

So it might have something to do with how you approach people in the first place.

Once again, I am not condoning the actions of this guy, but perhaps it should be considered that a DTAC staff member was in a bad mood, or having personal problems, and maybe cancelled this guy's account when some latitude may have been granted by another staff member, especially during covid times, when companies know customers are having financial difficulties.

I know the banks are accepting non payment of loans, I don't know about telecommunication companies.  

We have a laugh because he damaged some items in the store, but he could have easily gone to the store and shot someone in the head with a gun.  

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

Once again, I am not condoning the actions of this guy, but perhaps it should be considered that a DTAC staff member was in a bad mood, or having personal problems, and maybe cancelled this guy's account when some latitude may have been granted by another staff member, especially during covid times, when companies know customers are having financial difficulties.

I know the banks are accepting non payment of loans, I don't know about telecommunication companies.  

We have a laugh because he damaged some items in the store, but he could have easily gone to the store and shot someone in the head with a gun.  

All a bit of a weird viewpoint IMHO.

Smashing things that don't belong to you and without permission is simply not acceptable.

What you are saying is the equivalent of someone being justified to punch you in the mouth because you did not smile adequately when they greeted you and you should count yourself lucky that they did not decide to shoot you with a gun. All a bit perverse.

There is simply no excuse. He just 'lost it' like an infant. Stop making up silly 'non excuses' for him.

He could have contacted the call centre and requested an alternative solution. Then he would know if it were just an errant employee. Instead now he is on the hook for the things that he broke, unless DTAC decide to waive the damages. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

All a bit of a weird viewpoint IMHO.

Smashing things that don't belong to you and without permission is simply not acceptable.

What you are saying is the equivalent of someone being justified to punch you in the mouth because you did not smile adequately when they greeted you and you should count yourself lucky that they did not decide to shoot you with a gun. All a bit perverse.

There is simply no excuse. He just 'lost it' like an infant. Stop making up silly 'non excuses' for him.

He could have contacted the call centre and requested an alternative solution. Then he would know if it were just an errant employee. Instead now he is on the hook for the things that he broke, unless DTAC decide to waive the damages. 

Like I said, I don't condone his actions, but perhaps you should look up the word "empathy" in the dictionary.  

Perhaps if the DTAC staff member showed some empathy, this guy may have taken to social media singing the praises of DTAC, rather than smashing up their shop. 

Ever heard the saying, "The customer is always right?"  In reality, they are not always right, but you get the spirt of the saying.  

It's possible this whole situation could have been handled better by DTAC, but I say again, there are no excuses for his actions damaging the shop.   

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 5:48 PM, Leaver said:

he could have easily gone to the store and shot someone in the head with a gun.  

…and we would hear you say that “perhaps it should be considered that a DTAC staff member was in a bad mood, or having personal problems, and maybe cancelled this guy's account when some latitude may have been granted by another staff member, especially during covid times, when companies know customers are having financial difficulties.”

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

…and we would hear you say that “perhaps it should be considered that a DTAC staff member was in a bad mood, or having personal problems, and maybe cancelled this guy's account when some latitude may have been granted by another staff member, especially during covid times, when companies know customers are having financial difficulties.”

Nope.  He would be a murderer, and deserves everything he gets, but that doesn't help the grieving family.

Point is, could it have all been averted if the company handled the customer differently?  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Perhaps if the DTAC staff member showed some empathy, this guy may have taken to social media singing the praises of DTAC, rather than smashing up their shop. 

Perhaps if he had paid his account there would not have been any issue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Nope.  He would be a murderer, and deserves everything he gets, but that doesn't help the grieving family.

Same principle applies now. 

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Point is, could it have all been averted if the company handled the customer differently?  

Of course. And every bank robbery could be averted by transferring everyone enough millions on their bank account. Every rape could be averted if the victim would just consent to the sex in the first place. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Like I said, I don't condone his actions, but perhaps you should look up the word "empathy" in the dictionary.  

Ever heard the saying, "The customer is always right?"  In reality, they are not always right, but you get the spirt of the saying.  

It's possible this whole situation could have been handled better by DTAC, but I say again, there are no excuses for his actions damaging the shop.   

How do you know that they didn't show empathy, but that he still lost it because what he wanted was simply not within the employee's remit?

You just totally fabricated a scenario and then used it as basis to smear the DTAC staff and excuse the idiot. What is wrong with you?

Hard to fathom why you kept on digging...

Maybe you have been in a similar position and you are just describing your own situation?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:44 AM, cocoonclub said:

Same principle applies now. 

Of course. And every bank robbery could be averted by transferring everyone enough millions on their bank account. Every rape could be averted if the victim would just consent to the sex in the first place. 

Once again, not condoning this guy's actions, just wondering if DTAC could have handled the customer better.  

I'm sure most of us have had some frustrations with large companies over the years, I know I have.  I didn't smash up their shop or assault their staff, but I closed my accounts with a few and told management why. 

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I'm sure most of us have had some frustrations with large companies over the years, I know I have.  I didn't smash up their shop or assault their staff, but I closed my accounts with a few and told management why. 

Exactly. And that’s the point. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 12:29 PM, Eindhoven said:

How do you know that they didn't show empathy

How do you know they did?

You just totally fabricated a scenario and then used it as basis to smear the DTAC staff and excuse the idiot. What is wrong with you?

And if next weeks headline is, "DTAC employee arrested for stealing account holder's payments?"  Never happened before????

Hard to fathom why you kept on digging...

Not digging, just keeping an open mind.  

Maybe you have been in a similar position and you are just describing your own situation?

No.  As I said in another post, I hve closed my accounts and gone elsewhere, letting middle to upper management know why.   

On every occasion (there haven't been that many) I have been thrown a sweetener to stay, and I have told them "too little, too late" and walked.  

My actions may have cause someone to be fired, I don't know.  If it did, I gather the fire staff member wished I just smashed up the shop instead.  ???? 

Edited by Leaver
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Exactly. And that’s the point. 

Once again, not condoning his actions, merely pointing out it's possible an error by DTAC may have have set off a process that led to the incident that took place.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect not...... no reason to say that. Its a Web-Fact.

Link?

DTAC staff:  Your account has been closed because you did not pay the bill.

DTAC customer:  I paid the bill.

DTAC staff: No, you didn't.

DTAC customer:  Yes, I did.  Please check again.

DTAC staff:  No, you didn't pay.

Then something like this comes to light.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/thai-bank-employee-caught-stealing-customers-cash

Edited by Leaver
  • Sad 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, Leaver said:

Have you experienced 'customer service' in Thailand?