Record Covid cases will not have any effect on "Sandbox" or 120 day reopening plan, says TAT chief

webfact

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

That's 180,000 baht per tourist, even if the Hotel cost 2,000 baht a night that is only 28,000 baht over 14 days. leaving 152,000 baht for what?  No-one spends that amount of money on a 21 week holiday!

My last trip to Philippines i was there only that 21 days and spend 10k € so 380000 bth. But that just me! And ok that money include one pig to my ex mother in law.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course parabolic growth of cases and deaths will not have any impace on tourist arrivals.  Now the pandemic is down to only 40k cases a day in India Thailand will be a perfect substitute for the ghoul special funeral pyre tour groups. Being on the red list for many countries will not be a deterent.  Where there's a will there's a way. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

But the media reported in other comments that 1,000 people would be visiting Koh Samui under their "Samui Plus Model" spending 180 million baht between July 15th and August 15th. 

That's 180,000 baht per head!

I reckon they've added in a few property purchases.

Edited by Andyfez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Yutthasak - widely criticised online for claims that appear to be plucked from the ether - told the media that in fact 200,000 nights of accommodation had been booked in Phuket.

The media made no attempt to drill down on these figures. Were they just tenative bookings, what was the time frame, how many tourists did they represent were left to the reader to guess. 

200,000 nights is only 14,000 "Sandbox blocks" of 14 days. Even though many or most of the Sandboxers are probably staying two or more to a room, there are currently almost a thousand of them landing every day, so that reservation figure is actually somewhat believable.

3 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

There we have it DUMBEST STATEMENT OF THE DAY SO FAR.

However it's still early. 

You know I think they watch too much tv shows' like Dumb and Dumber and Mr. Bean come to mind. Surely the tourist can't be that stupid as they can stay at a hotel with pool in their own country and pay less.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

record Covid-19 numbers and deaths will not affect either the Phuket Sandbox or the wider reopening of Thailand to foreign tourism. 

Oh really!! With headlines like below in the International press, who in their right mind is saying "whoopee, I'll pack my bag and fly off to a Thai "sandbox"?????

Sun, 18 July 2021, 9:23 am

BANGKOK (Reuters) -The Thai government on Sunday announced plans for a tighter lockdown in Bangkok and high-risk provinces next week, suspending most domestic flights and expanding curfew areas after the country reported a third straight day of record COVID-19 case numbers.

Thailand reported 11,397 infections and 101 deaths on Sunday, bringing the cumulative total to 403,386 cases and 3,341 fatalities, the vast majority from an outbreak since early April that is being fuelled by the highly transmissible Alpha and Delta COVID-19 variants.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/thailand-expands-lockdown-areas-covid-022318805.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I want his brains.. They are new and not used.. How much more stupidity can TAT ventilate??

be careful what you wish for....those particular grey matter cells may be new but they will never be used, no matter whose head they're in ????????????

Record Covid cases will not have any effect on "Sandbox" or 120 day reopening plan…

Absolutely disconnected of the reality;

“The effect” will be for your poor citizens, not for your poor brains… old Generals and troupe.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I want his brains.. They are new and not used.. How much more stupidity can TAT ventilate??

Life at the TAT must be like one long fairytale!

1000 tourists to Samui spending 180,000 baht each?

I think he's got his head buried and stuck in the sandbox/litter tray, but there again, whenever I see "TAT" mentioned in any announcement, I know a good laugh is coming! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Whale said:

I have to admit this is quite a hole they are digging themselves with Thai Xenophobes.

Are they saying "Foreign tourists welcome but Thais not". Thais are essentially being made an "underclass" in Phuket and Samui (i.e in their own country) because their government failed them with vaccines whilst foreigners (tourists) are still welcome because their governments are more organised on vaccines.

Farang number 1, Thai number 2?

Farang money 1 ,farang 1.000.000.000.000 !!!

The irresponsibility is amazing.  This entire country is moving into Lockdown and the TAT is issuing sweetness and love and telling the international tourists to come to Covid Epidemic-Land

• Like 1