Record Covid cases will not have any effect on "Sandbox" or 120 day reopening plan, says TAT chief

webfact

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

That's 180,000 baht per tourist, even if the Hotel cost 2,000 baht a night that is only 28,000 baht over 14 days. leaving 152,000 baht for what?  No-one spends that amount of money on a 21 week holiday!

Really? I've done that in a night. 

Sincerely 

MORRIS 

Ex Bar Owner, Speaks Thai and Laos

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I am sure it will affect the decisions of any tourists, if they can

get out of their own countries first,  just because TAT says it,

it might not happen , 

regards Worgeordie

and in some cases getting back into once out from the country

2 minutes ago, KhunMorris said:

Sincerely 

MORRIS 

We're talking tourists here - not Richard Branson type jetsetters!

(P.S. What's the fact that you're an ex Bar Owner, and speak Thai and Laos got to do with the thread?)

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, KhunMorris said:

Sincerely 

MORRIS 

You are right,baht  the chicks the booze, the restaurants, the shopping, the hotel, 180000 baht is even reasonable for 14 days. Unless of course you are a Cheap Charlie. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

I think that the strict entry requirements into Thailand made sense when we had very low infection rates.  However, the Government’s mishandling of the situation allowed the Delta variant to get established.  If Thailand wants foreign visitors then why not let people who are fully vaccinated entre without restriction.  They are not going to have much of an impact on the overall rate of infection particularly as only small numbers are likely to come with a full blown pandemic going on and the health system under extreme stress. Just a thought. 

"only small numbers are likely to come with a full blown pandemic going on and the health system under extreme stress."

Try telling that to this lot! (The staff of TAT at the boss's inauguration ceremony in 2015 - wonder who the unsuitably dressed couple/bookends are at each end - Mum and Dad?) 

TAT-New-Governor-Yuthasak-Supasorn_05_680x300.jpg?resize=680%2C300&ssl=1

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sambum said:

We're talking tourists here - not Richard Branson type jetsetters!

Exactly, we're talking tourists not elderly retired expats (although chances are most of the alleged tourists arriving are likely to be just that). If you think you need to be "Richard Branson type jetsetters" for that sort of spend then I refer you to a post I made earlier.

TAT's figures are pie in the sky IMO but not due that figure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

he chief of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Suphasorn has insisted that Thailand's record Covid-19 numbers and deaths will not affect either the Phuket Sandbox or the wider reopening of Thailand to foreign tourism.

I wouldn't bet on that... even if it were legal.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But the media reported in other comments that 1,000 people would be visiting Koh Samui under their "Samui Plus Model" spending 180 million baht between July 15th and August 15th

Delusional.

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

My last trip to Philippines i was there only that 21 days and spend 10k € so 380000 bth. But that just me! And ok that money include one pig to my ex mother in law.

How many did you have yourself?

Good news for those who fancy something different to get away from the daily pish offered on their own country. 
Back here on the UK the likes of Travelodge are ripping the a.rse out it and charging £100 a night for a dump where it would usually be around £30-40 so all in all Samui looks a bargain. 

Edited by Kadilo

Record Covid cases will not have any effect on "Sandbox" or 120 day reopening plan, says TAT chief.  

Of course it will not have any effect if one believes the Drivel he's dribbling. 

Same as the big Kahuna says ,,, Everything is under control,,,,   55555

But people know better now than to believe the Fake News.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Exactly, we're talking tourists not elderly retired expats (although chances are most of the alleged tourists arriving are likely to be just that). If you think you need to be "Richard Branson type jetsetters" for that sort of spend then I refer you to a post I made earlier.

TAT's figures are pie in the sky IMO but not due that figure.

You could obviously be one of the "quality tourists" that we hear so much about (but I suspect you are now a resident?), and move in different circles to the "average" tourist, but I would think that the "well heeled" tourist would  be more inclined to choose a holiday destination where you don't have so many hoops to jump through in order to get to your destination, and the others that you have to jump through once you are here! 

In short, the well off would rather be able to choose what they do, and where they go during their holiday rather than be treated like a criminal on parole, and subject to all kinds of restrictions and conditions. For instance, being "tracked" every step that they take outside their hotel is probably something they are not accustomed to - or would welcome!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sambum said:

You could obviously be one of the "quality tourists" that we hear so much about

Nope, not one of the mythical "quality tourists"  TAT et al keep talking ballocks about, just an average guy like most. I agree with the rest of your post . As I said, "TAT's figures are pie in the sky IMO but not due that figure."

The point I was addressing is that some people think a tourist can't spend 11K a day which is patently a ridiculous thought no doubt tinged by geriatric, settled (possibly with "wife/girlfriend"), expat eyes. Not entirely surprising when we have people claiming they get 3 weeks shopping for the equivalent of 50 Euros in another thread and people talking about 40 Baht "meals".

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, eastendanto said:

be careful what you wish for....those particular grey matter cells may be new but they will never be used, no matter whose head they're in ????????????

Maybe they made for not using them 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandpa said:

That's 180,000 baht per tourist, even if the Hotel cost 2,000 baht a night that is only 28,000 baht over 14 days. leaving 152,000 baht for what?  No-one spends that amount of money on a 21 week holiday!

Come on. There are hotels for 13000 THB a night. He does not know and he's never sleeping in 2000 THB a night hotels. 14 x 13000 ... here we go. Not included the the drinks ....

5 hours ago, Salerno said:

Or perhaps no one you hang out with.

Oh you hiso you... 

The prob is anything of actual quality here would be better to buy elsewhere. There ain't nothing to buy here. Rich Thais have known this forever. 

• Like 1