Record Covid cases will not have any effect on "Sandbox" or 120 day reopening plan, says TAT chief

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The foreign tourists will still be coming. 

really!!! and they will be arriving by cargo planes, cargo ships and fighting to get in front of the line  555   ROFL

P.S= intended to be sarcastic

• Haha 1

TAT as always doesn't know left from right thus the incorrect/misleading/contradictory information..... they should be locked up

Complete lockdown in two months possible if COVID-19 figures do not improve – DDC Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong yesterday (Sunday).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It is all a matter of opinion --I am sure that it is not shared by most of population of Thailand trying to cope with the new epidemic.

In these times, Forum news" should focus on news related to the safety of all people living in Thailand   and not "fake news" TAT wanting every one to believe.. We all know that Tourism plans for now is "off the shelf or just dead" 

Even Phuket , 80% first shot vaccinated with sinovac may need to revisit their opening plan. Sinovac is a week vaccine and it was reported in the news that many vaccinated people got the virus and died.

How safe are the resident of Phuket? Where are these tourists going after 14 days in Phuket?

Major are of attraction :Bangkok and CHiang mai are in lockdown mode 

Shame on TAT--this is not the time to talk about opening the country when many are dying.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, the green light said:

It is all a matter of opinion --I am sure that it is not shared by most of population of Thailand trying to cope with the new epidemic.

In these times, Forum news" should focus on news related to the safety of all people living in Thailand   and not "fake news" TAT wanting every one to believe.. We all know that Tourism plans for now is "off the shelf or just dead" 

Even Phuket , 80% first shot vaccinated with sinovac may need to revisit their opening plan. Sinovac is a week vaccine and it was reported in the news that many vaccinated people got the virus and died.

How safe are the resident of Phuket? Where are these tourists going after 14 days in Phuket?

Major are of attraction :Bangkok and CHiang mai are in lockdown mode 

Shame on TAT--this is not the time to talk about opening the country when many are dying.

So far, hospitalization and mortality figures for phuket are looking very good although I couldn't find any for today yet.

• Like 1

i want to know how TAT feels showing tourists bathing in pool hotels and the rest of the country death is on the rise.

How Thai feels about the sandbox when Phuket took most of the vaccine available to to vaccinate 80% of the local resident when the rest of country struggling to get the vaccine.

Finally How TAT will get 50% of the local tourists living in Thailand. Nobody is suppose to travel now.?

useless information...best no to  say anything about tourism now because it might get a lot of people upset.

6 hours ago, grandpa said:

That's 180,000 baht per tourist, even if the Hotel cost 2,000 baht a night that is only 28,000 baht over 14 days. leaving 152,000 baht for what?  No-one spends that amount of money on a 21 week holiday!

Er, you are clearly not using the right calculator and formula. Get an Anutin X5000 from Lazada.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, grandpa said:

That's 180,000 baht per tourist, even if the Hotel cost 2,000 baht a night that is only 28,000 baht over 14 days. leaving 152,000 baht for what?  No-one spends that amount of money on a 21 week holiday!

the 5 star hotel with food probably cost let's say Bht 6k for 14 days....Bht 72k -  

more fake news

What! No photo op with battlefield earned coloured striperloonies (sarcasm FTWDU)?  I avidly pore over every photo of HRH TAT for the Rupert Bear sewing buttons badge but have yet to see that pinnacle award for endeavour.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Rubbish, "insist" all you want sir, as you don't know what tomorrow will bring...

Only the dumb blind and stupid will come to the utter mess that Thailand has become, stop the lies and do something real for your people instead of counting profits in your back pockets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Suphasorn has insisted that Thailand's record Covid-19 numbers and deaths will not affect either the Phuket Sandbox or the wider reopening of Thailand to foreign tourism. 

high...

1 hour ago, WEBBYB808 said:

But if tourist can't travel the country, and the UK has added the country to the,"Red," list, why would they come? This isnt like the movie,"A FIELD OF DREAMS."

Bad news, and I hate to be the one to break it to you.  The world no longer revolves around the Empire.  They're not anybody's primary target demographic any more.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Bad news, and I hate to be the one to break it to you.  The world no longer revolves around the Empire.  They're not anybody's primary target demographic any more.

Right. So you're saying that the Thais are indifferent to this. There's lots of room between the world revolving around some party and complete indifference.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Right. So you're saying that the Thais are indifferent to this. There's lots of room between the world revolving around some party and complete indifference.

If the UK were to put Thailand on some kind of no-go list, Thailand isn't going to throw up their hands and give up on tourism.  Any more than they have given up because Aussies aren't allowed to travel.  They'll miss AUD and GBP, but it won't derail their plans.

Does anyone remember a recent survey of Chinese tourists, who indicated they wouldn't be coming to Thailand for a few months after Thailand opens up?  What's a few months from July 1?  Before Covid, that's where 70% of their tourists came from...

And I'd also point out that the Covid situation in Thailand may crater the Phuket Sandbox and Samui +.  But it won't be the Sandbox or Samui + that creates the problem.  And neither shutting them down, nor going back in time and undoing them would solve it, either.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, the green light said:

How Thai feels about the sandbox when Phuket took most of the vaccine available to to vaccinate 80% of the local resident when the rest of country struggling to get the vaccine.

If they had taken those doses and spread them equitably across the entire country, they could have vaccinated another 0.7% of the rest of Thailand.  Fewer than 1 in 100.  An insignificant difference in the debacle going on in the rest of Thailand.

• Like 1

Would really like to see some interesting information and reporting on actually how Phuket is doing! i.e. what are the infections, how many from the new tourists, if any, how many arriving from other parts of Thailand although I was under the impression no one could go to Phuket unless they had both vaccinations and a negative Covid test!! That said I have friends in Pattaya recon they are going because everything is open and back to normal as was Koh Samet. I know for a fact they have not been vaccinated so whats the idea/restrictions with that then???

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Yutthasak - widely criticised online for claims that appear to be plucked from the ether

There is an n missing from the beginning of ether there and someone forgot to add regions after it. Also the the before ether should actually be a his. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

The Samui tourists are cheap Charlie’s. A couple of days ago TAT predicted Phuket sandbox tourists would be spending 40k baht a day.

that’s the trouble when the tourist numbers  are lower than estimates. They have to up the daily spending so that they come back to their original income generated figure. In the commercial world, they would be fired.

What could you possibly spend$1,200 a day on in Phuket ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grandpa said:

Having worked with these people, I know how the can embark on endless calculations, often supplying results with very high and totally meaningless accuracy when in fact there is complete uncertainty on all key factors. There is a complete and utter sense of reality here, at the base of much in that culture.

Edited by gejohesch

11 hours ago, grandpa said:

Specially if everything is closed and there is no nightlife 

Don't ignore the connection between domestic and international tourism.  I've spent the last weeks preparing all the paperwork for my Phuket Sandbox flight tonight.  Today I learn my Thai GF is banned from joining me as planned.  Had to cancel everything at last minute.  I can't be the only one.

• Sad 2