Thirty six foreigners and Thais arrested for drinking alcohol after 9 pm in Chiang Mai

webfact

17 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There are a few reasons why we are not guests here, IMO, the main one being retirees having to do 90 day reports. That is treating us like criminals, certainly not guests.

Sure, if that´s how you like to see it, everyone to their own. However, I fail to see why you choose to see the 90 day report as something that classifies you as a criminal. Have you ever thought about that there are many foreigners being taken advantage of at old age, when they no longer have power or control of their life no more? Have you also been thinking about many old foreigner being left alone in a place without help or friends?

In that case you can see it as a security and kind of a safety net. Anyway that is one of the things the 90 day report could be used for. Both you and me know that is not the case, but from that and go to looking at it as something that treats you as a criminal is a long step. I just think that you are not as happy as you once were in Thailand. Maybe it´s just time to think about life and make better choices to get rid of your frustration.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No one asked me to come to Thailand , therefore I am not "a guest"

So, if you decide to visit a place, you should not be considered as a guest there, which means you consider yourself as an inhabitant wherever you put down your feet. I guess that was what Hitler, Nero and Caesar among other failures though too. Look how well it went for them. ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, if that´s how you like to see it, everyone to their own. However, I fail to see why you choose to see the 90 day report as something that classifies you as a criminal. Have you ever thought about that there are many foreigners being taken advantage of at old age, when they no longer have power or control of their life no more? Have you also been thinking about many old foreigner being left alone in a place without help or friends?

In that case you can see it as a security and kind of a safety net. Anyway that is one of the things the 90 day report could be used for. Both you and me know that is not the case, but from that and go to looking at it as something that treats you as a criminal is a long step. I just think that you are not as happy as you once were in Thailand. Maybe it´s just time to think about life and make better choices to get rid of your frustration.

If the 90 day report was to make sure foreigners were in good health , then why dont they go and check up on people who dont do the 90 day report ?

If they wanted to make sure foreigners  were in good health , then they would do weekly checks .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am not getting into a debate with anyone who thinks it is OK for the law to force ordinary law abiding people to report to them every so often. So this debate is ended.

Wise choice! That´s the right way to go. At the same time you just told the forum that you actually had nothing to back your stance with. Keep up the good work!

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, if you decide to visit a place, you should not be considered as a guest there, which means you consider yourself as an inhabitant wherever you put down your feet. I guess that was what Hitler, Nero and Caesar among other failures though too. Look how well it went for them. ????

Well, yes all of us living in Thailand are "inhabitants" of Thailand .

But rest assured , I am not the leader of another Country who seeks to gain Thai territory for my own Country . 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well, yes all of us living in Thailand are "inhabitants" of Thailand .

But rest assured , I am not the leader of another Country who seeks to gain Thai territory for my own Country . 

Huh? Oh wait, I feel much safer now.

Edited by Gottfrid

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If the 90 day report was to make sure foreigners were in good health , then why dont they go and check up on people who dont do the 90 day report ?

If they wanted to make sure foreigners  were in good health , then they would do weekly checks .

I already kind of answered that in my post already, if you just bothered to read it all.

23 hours ago, crazykopite said:

The way that the delta is spreading across the kingdom I think I would welcome being deported my Thai GF can take care of my property while I’m away 

Oh she will take care of it alright renting it out for peanuts. Don't forget to leave the deeds 

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, not any comprehension difficulties at all. Just one question. Does it make the foreigners look better just because there were Thais involved?
I guess you no the answer to that question. You probably also know that I can only feel ashamed for my own race and their behavior. That it was Thais involved is nothing surprising to me. As a result I can´t care less about how they behave, as long we keep clean under our rug.

How Thais behave does not affect how they look at us. How we behave does! You should always remember who´s country you reside in and how bad reputation is going to affect you and your life in that country. Therefore, we do not need brainless farts like this representing us.

You support double standards ? So stop focusing solely on one group..and the person facilitating the entire occasion was .. ? Yes,not a foreigner.oh no

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, a "guest" is a person who was invited somewhere . 

I never received an invite to come to Thailand 

Getting off-topic, but:

What do you call someone who shows up at your home uninvited (visa on arrival), asks permission to enter and is given that permission?

Of course if you applied for a visa in advance and it was granted then you requested and received an invitation.

39 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

You support double standards ? So stop focusing solely on one group..and the person facilitating the entire occasion was .. ? Yes,not a foreigner.oh no

So, what! Does that mean our race have to act stupid? Did the "not a foreigner" force them to join?

How do you figure that I support double standards? Where did I say I support anything regarding this? The only thing I said was that I do not care what the Thais do.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The 4 years that I have done my retirement visa immigration has never once came out to see it I actually live where I said I lived let alone check on my health and well-being 

• Thanks 1

I find it annoying that they only focus on the consumption of alchohol, which is condemned by Buddhism, as a crime.

It should have nothing to do with alchohol - only the rules on social gatherings and the curfew. Drinking alchohol (in moderation) is not a crime!!!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Is it actually illegal to drink alcohol after 9 PM ?

This implies COVID is most active during the evening after the sun goes down? Perhaps it came from Vampire Bats - Thai science as usual is on top of the game!!!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

This implies COVID is most active during the evening after the sun goes down? Perhaps it came from Vampire Bats - Thai science as usual is on top of the game!!!

No... it implies that most people who drink become d!<kheads after 9pm !!!... 

Fortunately, for the most part this is not true... but in the eyes of the ‘decision makers’ they think they are doing something positive by limiting the drinking hours because they believe bars will get busier after 9pm (which they do in many areas) and people will relax and lose their inhibitions and are more likely break social isolation practices.

It just all seems a little bit too silly....   they could instead limit the amount of people allowed in an establishment, but allowing that level of discretion to a nation which hardly follows regulations means the only readily enforceable regulation is a blanket one.

It is unfortunate, but we are each ruled by the actions of the lowest common denominator... which is...  'when it comes to booze some people are idiots and lose common sense'

On 7/20/2021 at 11:00 AM, MikeyIdea said:

Yes, I do that myself without relying on a Thai to do it for me, like you. That only works if the mobile phones are really close. So how do you pay without getting close to the one delivering the goods?

Are you just trolling?

Have you not heard of Grab or Food Panda which allows you to do grocery shopping online, pay by card, and then have your items dropped off at your front door through contact less delivery.

In fact you don't even need those apps. Tesco and Tops online allows you pay by card and then request the items be dropped off. You don't have to sign the receipt either you can just acknowledge online that you have received your items.

It's quite simple. Either you're just being awkward here or really are a dinosaur that don't know how to use technology?!

45 minutes ago, kamma said:

Are you just trolling?

Have you not heard of Grab or Food Panda which allows you to do grocery shopping online, pay by card, and then have your items dropped off at your front door through contact less delivery.

In fact you don't even need those apps. Tesco and Tops online allows you pay by card and then request the items be dropped off. You don't have to sign the receipt either you can just acknowledge online that you have received your items.

It's quite simple. Either you're just being awkward here or really are a dinosaur that don't know how to use technology?!

Have you tried to book a delivery slot recently ????

On the previous lockdown last year my wife (in Bangkok) couldn’t get a delivery slot. The supermarket delivery was just too busy. Fortunately the supermarkets recognised this and allowed ‘pickup’ were we could just rock up at the Supermarket, call them and they’d bring the shopping out and put it in the the car. 

Its pretty similar this time around, my Wife has had to book a delivery slot a week in advance.

So.. your point is valid, online shopping and online payment is perfectly doable most of the time, but not all of the time. 

6 hours ago, kamma said:

Are you just trolling?

Neither grab or food panda deliveries offer what you say where I live. It's cash or scan only. 

19 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

Neither grab or food panda deliveries offer what you say where I live. It's cash or scan only. 

Well, I'm sorry then.

I guess you must be living in the real proper boonies?!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:00 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Have you tried to book a delivery slot recently ????

On the previous lockdown last year my wife (in Bangkok) couldn’t get a delivery slot. The supermarket delivery was just too busy. Fortunately the supermarkets recognised this and allowed ‘pickup’ were we could just rock up at the Supermarket, call them and they’d bring the shopping out and put it in the the car. 

Its pretty similar this time around, my Wife has had to book a delivery slot a week in advance.

So.. your point is valid, online shopping and online payment is perfectly doable most of the time, but not all of the time. 

No I haven't tried to book a slot recently but I do agree that they can become quite full relatively quickly.

However, I do order my groceries from Tops and Tescos using Grab and Food Panda. Granted the delivery guy can't bring a ton of stuff on his bike but the delivery is free with Grab so I can make multiple orders.