I have a US driving license and I'm in BKK with STV (special tourist visa): how can I get an international driving license?

user70

There is no "international drivers licence"       You can use your US drivers licence to drive in Thailand for I think  3 months ? ( could be 6 ?)   after that ( or even before) you can get  a Thai "provisional" drivers licence quite easily  with minimal tests    though Covidiocy has hampered this option somewhat.

• Like 1

You can legally rent a car here and get insured using your US license (providing it's still valid) on a tourist visa so no need for the IDP. 

• Like 2

For an international driver's license (Can only be done at The Department of Land Transport) An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver's License. You can maybe rent car but its illegal to drive car whit foreign licence! If you crash you are screwed.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

For an international driver's license (Can only be done at The Department of Land Transport

Thanks, is that in the US or in Thailand?

3 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver's License.

I'm in BKK with STV (special tourist visa): does it make a Thailand resident?

48 minutes ago, user70 said:

What do you mean?

He means there is no such thing as an International Driving Licence. There is such a thing as an International Driving Permit which, as already mentioned, can only be obtained in the country your licence is issued - in your case the USA.

The requirement for an IDP for various nations is always debated due to the fact all it is is a translation of your home licence into various languages (one being English) along with a photograph which is only valid in conjunction with your home licence e.g. for people such as Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, Americans what is the use of a translation and photograph of a licence that is already in English with a photograph?

As always in Thailand, what the law says and what the BiB actually do are not always in sync. First time I ever drove in Thailand I didn't have an IDP and was pulled over in a car without tax (loan car not hired), a perfect opportunity for extracting some tea money IMO. After the cop took my licence over to his captain and they talked to the owner of the car on the phone who assured them the tax had been paid but she had just forgotten to replace the old one on the window I was allowed to proceed with a smile and without a satang being asked for.

IMO the only real issue to worry about is are you covered by insurance, hence my initial post. Some companies ask for and IDP some don't - it's on you to do your due diligence (preferably get it in writing) to ensure you are covered if you decide to drive without an IDP.

58 minutes ago, user70 said:

I'm in BKK with STV (special tourist visa): does it make a Thailand resident?

People have obtained a Thai licence on visa exempt, no problem for you to get one on STV (other than the current restrictions due to covid). An IDP makes that easier but still possible without one if the DLT is operating.

• Thanks 1

Depending on your time frame you might be able to get it via mail - 

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

If you are not able to visit your nearest AAA branch office, your IDP can be obtained through the mail. Simply enclose the following and mail them to the AAA office nearest you (check locally for payment options):

• Your completed IDP application form
  • Two original passport pictures each signed on the back
  • $20 USD permit fee
  • A photocopy of both sides of your driver's license
  • If desired, include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service. See USPS.com, Fedex.com or UPS.com for rates.

You can get one online as long as you have a valid license in your home country.

There many online.  I used it while traveling around laos driving from Thailand.

Example below:

Screenshot_20210723-101311.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, user70 said:

What do you mean?

If you want a IDP to accompany your USA DL you apply for it in your country. 

Some people sell IDL but there worthless.

If your US DL has your photo and has what you are entitled to drive in English say the same as the photo card type English DL a car hire company usually will hire you a car some companies may ask for a IDP which is s bit silly because all the IDP does is translate the DL into English. ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Im a Yank got mine at AAA store   super easy  need 1 passport pic was $20

Did you need it in Thailand I think is what is the need to know  because you don't need one with an English photo card DL. 

• Like 1

I remember using it as I was nervous

It worked and since it says 2020 etc  its now expd but the thais cops dont know that...so still works

1pp pic and 20 bucks in AAA travel shop   

Someone posted a rule about a treaty saying out license should work but easier to go to AAA in my exps with cops

If you have a valid driving licence of any country you can easily get an international driving permit from the transport department in Bangkok but it is not valid in the country of issue, I.eThailand

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, gamini said:

If you have a valid driving licence of any country you can easily get an international driving permit from the transport department in Bangkok but it is not valid in the country of issue, I.eThailand

Got a link to information on that? I find it hard to believe given Thailand has no way to verify the foreign licence you present is real; it can only be obtained in the country your licence is from.

Edit:

An IDP must be issued in the same country where the traveler’s domestic driver’s license was issued.

https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/frequently-asked-questions/

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Salerno said:

He means there is no such thing as an International Driving Licence. There is such a thing as an International Driving Permit which, as already mentioned, can only be obtained in the country your licence is issued - in your case the USA.

Really?

IDL.JPG.3d6882274c495c272e6d034031b3c780.JPG

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Really what? The fact a Thai site has misinformation on it?

You claimed:

"He means there is no such thing as an International Driving Licence. There is such a thing as an International Driving Permit which, as already mentioned, can only be obtained in the country your licence is issued - in your case the USA."

Clearly Thailand's Department of Land Transport issues them and refers to them as International Driving Licences so apparently there is such a thing.

Really

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1