I have a US driving license and I'm in BKK with STV (special tourist visa): how can I get an international driving license?

user70

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

2) IF you are here in Thailand on a ‘Non-Immigrant Visa’ (or extension based on a Non-Imm visa, i.e. retirement)  then you will need to apply for a Thai Licence. 

This process is pretty simple - you can do so using your US licence. You will need the following: 

1) Affirmation of Residence (letter of Immigration). 

A confirmation of residency letter from the embassy is also acceptable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

2) IF you are here in Thailand on a ‘Non-Immigrant Visa’ (or extension based on a Non-Imm visa, i.e. retirement)  then you will need to apply for a Thai Licence. 

This process is pretty simple - you can do so using your US licence. You will need the following: 

That is the ‘Affirmation of Residence’ letter.....   (I’ve corrected the mistake I made when writing letter of immigration).

Documents have different names from different areas and different people... what I know of are: 

1) Affirmation of Residence (this is obtained from The Embassy and costs somewhere in the region of B2500)

2) Letter of Address (obtained from Immigration)

3) Proof of Address (obtained from Immigration)

4) Certificate of Address (obtained from Immigration) 

The later 3 are named such by different names by different immigration offices and people, there may me more names for this letter but they are ultimately the same thing. 

Affirmation of Residence is called such by the British Embassy, other Embassies may use different terminology / naming for this document, but ultimately is is an affidavit signed in front of an Embassy notary. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Expand  

That is the ‘Affirmation of Residence’ letter

Yes, I know what it is.   It is accepted by LTDs in the same way as an IB-issued certificate of residence.

In general it's best to check the motor vehicle department rules (and in many cases particular states or provinces) of the country you're visiting.   If you look at the US for example, it turns out you only need to have an International Driver Permit in a handful of states, otherwise you can use your home country license as long as it's also in English (as Thai driver licenses are).   A slight shortcut would be to look at the local site of major car rental companies like Avis or Hertz in their local rental agreement requirements, they'll usually specify the driver license type required there.   

Its been a few years since I got my Thai license, but I only had to show my visa (O-A) and my US license, take the reaction and color test. Since I had motorcycle endorsement, I also got a license for motorbike. The only problem I had was with the Medical Donor endorsement on my US license. A bit hard to explain that if I am killed in an automobile accident that they can take out my organs for to use for others or to teach doctors????.

Where I live in the US (Oregon) you can use the Thai DL for 6 months after you move there

This topic has been discussed on TV many, many times over the years. My take on it is that an IDP is not necessary if your home licence is in English & has a photo as translating English to English is pointless. However if stopped, some BiB will ask for one, particularly in Bkk or Pattaya. Therefore, it may smooth your day (and make it cheaper) if you have one to produce.

However, this bit is interesting in the law quoted in an earlier post:

In case of a driver who is an alien temporarily permitted to reside in the Kingdom under the law on immigration may possess a driving license under section 42 bis while driving in the Kingdom. In this case there shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country for producing immediately to the competent official45. 

Edited by Lancashirelad