I have a US driving license and I'm in BKK with STV (special tourist visa): how can I get an international driving license?

user70

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If you want a IDP to accompany your USA DL you apply for it in your country. 

Some people sell IDL but there worthless.

If your US DL has your photo and has what you are entitled to drive in English say the same as the photo card type English DL a car hire company usually will hire you a car some companies may ask for a IDP which is s bit silly because all the IDP does is translate the DL into English. ????

You can get an International drivers permit online.  

It's valid in any country that participates in the International Drivers permit scheme.

To apply you need a valid driver's license from your home country to apply.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That's the one for Thai people

It looks roughly the same apart from some localization for other nations. Here the one for USA:

spacer.png

Edited by eisfeld

22 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

It's valid in any country that participates in the International Drivers permit scheme.

Yeah that's good my Oz mate couldn't do that some years back so took the full Driving tests.

With a UK photocard driving licence you can drive in Thailand and get a Thai DL if you wish without IDP with correct visa.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah that's good my Oz mate couldn't do that some years back so took the full Driving tests.

With a UK photocard driving licence you can drive in Thailand and get a Thai DL if you wish without IDP with correct visa.

Before COVID-19 I was planning on taking a tour of Laos from Our home base in Thailand.

I was told my Thai drivers license was only valid within the cities of Vientiane and Savanakhet.

I got one online IDP and then came COVID-19.

Stay healthy!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bbko said:

Back when I was a tourist and not an expat, I didn't have a Thai license or IDP and I was able to rent a motorbike and get full insurance with my Arizona driver's license. The OP just needs to ask the car rental places and make sure he's fully insured.

It's one thing to "get insurance".  It's another to actually be covered.  Sadly, you never know until you file the claim.  Or have a lawyer read all the fine print and decipher it with respect to Thai laws.  

Regardless of what they tell you at the front desk, read the fine print.  (They want your money and there's no downside for them if they're wrong)  And understand the limits for driving on a foreign license.  During Covid, I suspect a lot of tourists have stayed long enough to put them in jeopardy if the insurance company wants to get stinky.  The USA and Thailand have a bilateral treaty, and I think it's 90 days...  But don't take my word for it.

Edited by impulse

This is everything Thai law says about using a foreign license. It is from the Motor Vehicle Act of 1979 (with amendments).  One common fallacy is that there is a limit on how long you may drive using a foreign license. There is nothing in Thai law that limits the amount of time. An old article from Trip Advisor is often quoted that incorrectly states that there is a time limit.

Link to Govt website

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Title 3 - Driver's license

Section 42. A driver shall be licensed and shall, while driving or controlling other driving trainee in driving, possess driving license and a copy of vehicle registration certificate for producing immediately to the competent official, except the driving trainee under section 57.

In case of a driver who is an alien temporarily permitted to reside in the Kingdom under the law on immigration may possess a driving license under section 42 bis while driving in the Kingdom. In this case there shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country for producing immediately to the competent official45. 

[The word “vehicle” is amended its spelling in Thai version under section 3 of the Vehicle Act (No. 12), B.E. 2546 (2003).]

Section 42 bis 46. In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied.

45 Section 42 paragraph two is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

46 Section 42 bis is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

Edited by Smokin Joe

18 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Notice how it says "Temporarily Permitted"

And nowhere does it say how long is temporary.

Just look at the permission to stay stamp in your passport. Does it give an end date? If yes, you are "temporarily permitted" and may use a foreign driving license (If an IDP is required is arguable, the wording isn't 100% clear, to be safe better have one)

If you have permanent residency status, you are not "temporarily permitted", thus permanent residents may not use a foreign driving license.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:19 PM, user70 said:
On 7/22/2021 at 11:36 AM, Kwasaki said:

there is such a thing as a IDP international driving permit no such thing as IDL's apart from scam ones.

There are plenty of legit IDP:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Get an IDP from your home country if you want one of those.   "International driving licences" are scams.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:08 AM, Salerno said:

An IDP makes that easier but still possible without one if the DLT is operating.

No, it doesn't "make it easier".  For an eligible foreign licence holder IDPs are not part of the Thai licence application process.   In his case his US licence is all that is required, an IDP is not required.

• Confused 1

On 7/23/2021 at 8:16 AM, Muhendis said:

The international permit seems to be a complete waste of time and money. I cannot imagine any scenario were it is useful.

It's very useful if the original licence is not in English, that's the main reason for the existence of IDPs.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:14 AM, MrJ2U said:

You can get one online as long as you have a valid license in your home country.

There many online.  I used it while traveling around laos driving from Thailand.

Example below:

Screenshot_20210723-101311.jpg

A scam...unless you can supply the link to that that shows that it isn't.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 7/23/2021 at 11:52 AM, gamini said:

If you have a valid driving licence of any country you can easily get an international driving permit from the transport department in Bangkok but it is not valid in the country of issue, I.eThailand

What?   If you have a Thai licence the LTD can issue an International Driving Permit linked to that licence.  Thailand cannot issue IDPs for licences issued in other countries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Just look at the permission to stay stamp in your passport. Does it give an end date? If yes, you are "temporarily permitted" and may use a foreign driving license (If an IDP is required is arguable, the wording isn't 100% clear, to be safe better have one)

If you have permanent residency status, you are not "temporarily permitted", thus permanent residents may not use a foreign driving license.

What Immigration decides as temporary is the same as what the DLT decides ?

I don't think so - pulled this out of your ... hat ? 555

• Confused 1

On 7/23/2021 at 11:55 AM, Salerno said:
On 7/23/2021 at 11:52 AM, gamini said:

If you have a valid driving licence of any country you can easily get an international driving permit from the transport department in Bangkok but it is not valid in the country of issue, I.eThailand

Got a link to information on that?

He won't have!

On 7/22/2021 at 9:31 PM, user70 said:
On 7/22/2021 at 7:52 PM, Kwasaki said:

available in the Drivers Licence holders own country, not IDL.

What do you mean?

OK lets be very clear and remove any ambiguity with wording and regulations. 

Licence - International Driving Licences are a scam - there is no such ‘legal’ thing. People often misuse the word ‘licence’ when they really mean Permit (even the Thai DLT misuses the word).

Permit - International Driving Permits are issues by our home Countries as a counterpart to be presented alongside a ‘full’ driving licence issued by the equivalent of land transport offices in our home nations (these are essential translations of our driving licences). 

Thailand Requirements: IF you have a ‘full’ driving licence which is in English this is ‘Temporarily’ accepted in Thailand under 1968 Vienna convention agreements.

Temporary - As mentioned above, a Foreign licence (in English) or a Foreign licence (in a non English Language) accompanied with an IDP can be used to drive in Thailand on a temporary basis - this temporary basis is not classified but is visa related - Those on Non-Immigrant Visas are not here on a Temporary basis and thus must have a Thai Driving Licences. Those here on Tourist Visa’s (or similar) are considered here on a temporary basis. This is also somewhat of a grey area but the ’Non-Imm visa’ pretty much clarifies this for most situations. 

International Driving Permits - Can only be issued from within the country in which the Licence is held. 

International Driving Permits in Thailand can only be issued to those with a 5 year Driving Licence (they are not issued for those with the 2 year Temporary Driving Licence).

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, MrJ2U said:

Can't find the link to what you claim, can you supply it?

On 7/23/2021 at 8:20 PM, MrJ2U said:

Before COVID-19 I was planning on taking a tour of Laos from Our home base in Thailand.

I was told my Thai drivers license was only valid within the cities of Vientiane and Savanakhet.

I got one online IDP

Where did you get it from, a Thai LTD online source?    Thai LTDs are the only agencies in Thailand that can issue IDPs connected to Thai licences.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK lets be very clear and remove any ambiguity with wording and regulations. 

Licence - International Driving Licences are a scam - there is no such ‘legal’ thing. People often misuse the word ‘licence’ when they really mean Permit (even the Thai DLT misuses the word).

Permit - International Driving Permits are issues by our home Countries as a counterpart to be presented alongside a ‘full’ driving licence issued by the equivalent of land transport offices in our home nations (these are essential translations of our driving licences). 

Thailand Requirements: IF you have a ‘full’ driving licence which is in English this is ‘Temporarily’ accepted in Thailand under 1968 Vienna convention agreements.

Temporary - As mentioned above, a Foreign licence (in English) or a Foreign licence (in a non English Language) accompanied with an IDP can be used to drive in Thailand on a temporary basis - this temporary basis is not classified but is visa related - Those on Non-Immigrant Visas are not here on a Temporary basis and thus must have a Thai Driving Licences. Those here on Tourist Visa’s (or similar) are considered here on a temporary basis. This is also somewhat of a grey area but the ’Non-Imm visa’ pretty much clarifies this for most situations. 

International Driving Permits - Can only be issued from within the country in which the Licence is held. 

International Driving Permits in Thailand can only be issued to those with a 5 year Driving Licence (they are not issued for those with the 2 year Temporary Driving Licence).

Reminds of years back when working abroad, I ask the company do I need to get a driving license in the countries where we are going. 

They said no your full UK driving licence is a International one. ????

On 7/22/2021 at 7:19 AM, user70 said:

I asked the US Embassy, and they told me they have no clue. I want an international driving license to be able to legally rent a car and have car insurance.

@ user70: 

I am assuming you want to ‘legally’ be able to rent a car in Thailand and be fully insured.

Depending in your Visa you have two options:

1) IF you are here in Thailand on a Tourist visa, you can rent and be insured using your US driving licence which is in English and thus acceptable to drive in Thailand under the agreements signed in the 1968 Vienna Convention.

2) IF you are here in Thailand on a ‘Non-Immigrant Visa’ (or extension based on a Non-Imm visa, i.e. retirement)  then you will need to apply for a Thai Licence. 

This process is pretty simple - you can do so using your US licence. You will need the following: 

1) Affirmation of Residence (or letter of Address). 

2) Medical Certificate (from a  local clinic - tell them its for a driving licence, they’ll have the forms)

3) Photo Copies of Passport (Visa page and ID page)

4) Photo Copies of US Licence

5) Booking at DLT* (under covid some DLT’s require a booking, but you may get away with a  walk-in).

Process: 

1) Rock up at the DLT, show documents, you’ll get a queue number. 

2) You will be called into a room (along with others) and do the following ‘in room tests.

- Traffic light / colour test (checks if you can see the coloured lights in your peripheral vision)

- Colour Blindness test (Ishihara test)

- Reaction Test (extremely rudimentary - press a brake pedal when you see a red light)

- Proximity Test (stop two sticks when they are next to each other - very basic

When finished with the above tests you will then wait to be called into another classroom (this may not happen due to Covid restrictions)

3) Driving Video - you will have to watch a 45min video (very basic again) but you may not need to do this. 

4) Wait in a queue - pay the money, have your photo taken, walk away a few mins later with a licence. 

IF the DLT is not closed down due to Covid you should be able to resolve your licence issue pretty quickly and easily.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, canthai55 said:
4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Expand  

What Immigration decides as temporary is the same as what the DLT decides ?

LTDs do not specify or decide what "temporary" is in connection with Thai driving licences apart from the word being used on the initial 2 year licence.