3 months of semi-lockdown required to bring pandemic under control – KKP Research

snoop1130

On 7/22/2021 at 8:52 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Let your currency float and get value something like 1$ is 45 bth then your export industry go up like rocket. Also you maybe get tourist in country some day in future!

I HATE to agree because most of my holdings are in THB but this is the ONLY solution. It gradually eased the aftereffects of the 1997 crash (& I made out like a bandit with foreign currency holdings).

We better get used to the fact that this will be our situation for a minimum of the next two years. Suck it up because you love Thailand or go 'home'. I know my choice already, no matter how bad it gets here.

What will be discouraging is if Thais remain blind to the political forces at work. Any improvement will require a completely new paradigm of govt not just a changing of the guard by getting rid of this lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fredscats said:

The US is running some two months behind the UK infection rate,will go up by a rocket

Yes I expect that to be reflected in a few countries.... but I am watching the UK the most closely, as it seems to be leading the trends....dare we hope the smaller new infection numbers there for the last 4 or 5 days are cause for hope?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes I expect that to be reflected in a few countries.... but I am watching the UK the most closely, as it seems to be leading the trends....dare we hope the smaller new infection numbers there for the last 4 or 5 days are cause for hope?

Population numbers are roughly the same here as UK so I'd fully expect Thailand to follow the UK trend and get to something like 50-60,000 a day (if the testing can keep up with infections), then start to drop after that.   You never know though, maybe the new measures such as closing the parks and the beaches whilst keeping factories and construction open will make a difference ????

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Todays numbers are

14,260 cases

119 deaths

If that does not keep the thought of a 3 month lockdown alive then I do not know what will

IMHO lockdown is best employed at the onset of the pandemic to try “ring fence” the virus from spreading outwards. Will not be effective when the virus has spread widely. Can’t lockdown the country and really not equitably effective.

I think the key are testing availability, tracing efficiency and quick isolation. These are areas lacking that the government have failed including the vaccination program. There just too much centralization of policies that frustrate province authorities in implementing prompt measures like what we saw with the Samut Sakorn Governor trying to get authorization for field isolation hospitals that he went on record to tell Prayut that he will not wait for federal permission.

Also why Prayut not authorizing army camps to turn into isolation hospitals or get the army medical corps to do testing and vaccination. He is just totally incompetent and really lacking in intelligence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:07 PM, elgenon said:

What? No mention of vaxxing 80%?? Without vaccinations cases will just rise again. An infinite loop.

Lock downs with no heavy vaxxing will be fruitless and just <deleted> off the people who will cooperate less and less and get sicker and sicker. Duh.

That's a banned 4-letter word? Starts with a "p". You gotta be kidding me. Are we in kindergarden?

Can the Brits use it to mean drunk?

4 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

At what point did people get so stupid that they require scientific proof for what can be explained by a bit of common sense? I am talking about excess deaths and health, economic and social impact caused by lockdowns that do so much more harm than good, the long lasting effects of which will haunt us for decades.

Maybe because when "common sense" is cited it usually turns out to be uncommon nonsense and an excuse for ignorance. There are expert statisticians  who devote their careers to studying these questions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

IMHO lockdown is best employed at the onset of the pandemic to try “ring fence” the virus from spreading outwards. Will not be effective when the virus has spread widely. Can’t lockdown the country and really not equitably effective.

I think the key are testing availability, tracing efficiency and quick isolation. These are areas lacking that the government have failed including the vaccination program. There just too much centralization of policies that frustrate province authorities in implementing prompt measures like what we saw with the Samut Sakorn Governor trying to get authorization for field isolation hospitals that he went on record to tell Prayut that he will not wait for federal permission.

He is just totally incompetent and really lacking in intelligence. 

P.C. is an intelligent man to have achieved his current status , however what you , me and many others cannot understand is his lack of action to protect his nation . He could well have thought that because of Thailand's excellent avoidance of the covid virus in previous waves ( how did that happen ) it would continue into this wave and therefore thought that vaccine procurement was not important . Or could it be that having secured enough vaccine for his hierarchy and himself ( AZ , I believe )  he was prepared to take a chance with the nation to face herd immunity and in turn maintain the economy . You have to ask yourself , why would you allow Songkran to take place which led to massive inter-provincial travel and spreading of the virus , why announce that Bangkok will effectively be closed in a few days and no travel in or out of its capital without good reason , again an exodus spreading the virus . Now he is at the back of the queue to attain the vaccines his country needs . It would not matter who replaced him because the resources are not there . Hindsight is a wonderful thing but why was there not a contingency plan ? The country is now in a mess and the next problem will be the wrecking of its economy and the  baht valuation to plummet . I feel sorry for the badly treated Thai population . 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, Uroller said:

And what are they going to vaccinate people with Gatorade

Apparently Thais everywhere now have the belief that if you mix a number of different roots and barks of tree, boil them all up and drink the fluid it will protect them from the virus.

i came across it when the gf's mother got it for her when she was really ill for a number of days,

M Gf has also bought it at the request of her brother in Bangkok.

I have no idea what the roots are as she cannot explain it to me but it's obviously some natural remedy that probably has some but very little health properties..

It's a common rural thali cure but i can find nothing about it on the internet. i would be interested if anyone knows what it is just out of curosity to know exactly what health properties it does give

On 7/22/2021 at 8:48 PM, roger101 said:

They call this a semi lockdown. It's about as near to a total lockdwn as you can get. Just to let you know I'm in Pattaya.

I am too.  There is supposed to be a curfew yet four youths left my village at 9pm last night riding look-at-me bikes that can be heard five kms away; secure in the knowledge that Pattaya Plod don't work at night.

17 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Apparently Thais everywhere now have the belief that if you mix a number of different roots and barks of tree, boil them all up and drink the fluid it will protect them from the virus.

i came across it when the gf's mother got it for her when she was really ill for a number of days,

M Gf has also bought it at the request of her brother in Bangkok.

I have no idea what the roots are as she cannot explain it to me but it's obviously some natural remedy that probably has some but very little health properties..

It's a common rural thali cure but i can find nothing about it on the internet. i would be interested if anyone knows what it is just out of curosity to know exactly what health properties it does give

There seems to be a very strong belief that "samun phrai" (สมุนไพร - traditional plants medicine) can cure everything. My wife talks about it all the time, she uses it all the time. I'm sure some of it is good for the health somehow, but that belief is to the point of complete obscurantism. But in my experience, Thais tend to be so gullible!

On 7/24/2021 at 10:42 AM, superal said:

P.C. is an intelligent man to have achieved his current status , however what you , me and many others cannot understand is his lack of action to protect his nation . ...... Hindsight is a wonderful thing but why was there not a contingency plan ? The country is now in a mess and the next problem will be the wrecking of its economy and the  baht valuation to plummet . I feel sorry for the badly treated Thai population . 

I have worked a few years in a Thai company. Thais struggle to map out scenarios, they have a very small grasp of contingency planning. They give themselves the impression of "managing" by talking a lot using all the established international jargon, by creating committees and sub-committees by the dozen (causing confusion and slowing down effective decision making). Whatever the boss says, however stupid it sometimes it, no one can challenge it even very politely without risking personal consequences. Their education system is appalling. It's difficult to see how the overall "modus operandi" can change, it's a bit like an engine that has seized up, it's broken and completely stuck.

Indeed, one can feel so sorry for the Thai population.

Edited by gejohesch
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gejohesch said:

they create committees and sub-committees by the dozen (causing confusion and slowing down effective decision making)

Decisions are not made in committees in East and Southeast Asia. The consensus previously gathered informally is announced in committees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Decisions are not made in committees in East and Southeast Asia. The consensus previously gathered informally is announced in committees.

I'm not denying this. Committees exist to give an appearance of managing a situation.

I would be happy if the Gov came out and said 3 months lockdown, then I could get on a plane rather than sit here hoping in two weeks its gonna be more normal again as people get used to the numbers (which are not all that bad considering their lack of vaccinations).

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Whale said:

I would be happy if the Gov came out and said 3 months lockdown, then I could get on a plane rather than sit here hoping in two weeks its gonna be more normal again as people get used to the numbers (which are not all that bad considering their lack of vaccinations).

Suggest you look at the large numbers of infections as a key item for a few moments without looking at the number of vaccinations (which is of course a disgrace).