Soundproof Condo Chiang Mai

Decaptcher

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You need to find a HOUSE...not a condo...if you want quiet.  And, you need to choose carefully the location.  Watch out for the roosters in the morning, noon, and night.  It might take you years to find a quiet place.  It's just a matter of luck, and trial and error, and this can require years.

Yes....might take years. Then a few weeks after op moves in some new neighbours come with dogs and roosters...and open an outdoor restaurant with loud TV and music ever day. 

The older condo buildings are built more solidly and as suggested by one poster, if you have one neighbor with a chair/door problem, you can politely offer to fix their issue.  

In an older building, carefully study what's outside the building because they have "good" and "bad" sides.  The "bad sides" will be the rooms overlooking main roads, restaurants that are open air and have live bands, have full west sun, etc.  

Also, remodeling noise can be an issue in older buildings, but every one I know has strict rules about days/times when noisy work can be done.  But the noise of removing old tile can travel throughout the entire building.

When we remodeled a large unit in an older building, we got a unit on a quiet corner and put closets/cupboards down the entire length of walls with our neighbors.  We never hear any noise from them.

• Like 2

If you own the property I would recommend using Gyprock Soundchek if it's available in Thailand or some other method of dry wall installation

Gyprock Soundchek provides sound control worth shouting about. This high density gypsum plasterboard has improved sound transmission properties to help maintain the peace when used in residential and commercial walls and ceilings.

https://www.gyprock.com.au/products/plasterboard-soundchek 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes....might take years. Then a few weeks after op moves in some new neighbours come with dogs and roosters...and open an outdoor restaurant with loud TV and music ever day. 

If this should happen, then, move again, and....it might take another many years.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:14 PM, Decaptcher said:

I don't need to know what everyone else is doing all the time.

I live in an apartment, top floor and corner unit. The last 3 floors are completely empty due to higher rent. Lower floors have some tenants. I can hear when they drag their chairs from 3 floors upper. There is no way to soundproof your unit, but if you have problem only with one side perhaps you can lower the noise by some soundproof materials, but you still will hear their feet, chairs, or if they drop anything on the floor. 

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Using one of these 

image.jpeg.a7bd8c8f681181d2adc53b015eaab4ff.jpeg

To cut one of these taking 10 inches off each end 

No, what I mean is that why would one be cutting steel everyday when it's supposed to be a residential house and not a factory.

If they are using the house as a factory, then it is illegal and should be reported to the authorities.

Edited by EricTh

I don't know what it is about dragging chairs and other furniture. Dining chairs in and out from a table possibly, but otherwise, why the need to move furniture around so frequently? The solution is to put fitted felt pads on chair legs. Offer to do that for your noisy neighbours.

In my last renovation (completed at the end of 2019, thank God), I "soundproofed" the party wall in the main bedroom, and the ceilings in the two bedrooms. It has improved the noise quotient considerably, but not 100%. But in other areas of the flat (235sqm), I do hear "noises off", and cannot tell where they are coming from, (think it's upstairs, normally the cause of most noise, but it transpires it could be from any direction). Luckily it's infrequent, and there are not that many residents in the building, (with only 4 units per floor).

7 hours ago, nickmondo said:

the noise you describe is the reason why i would never live in a condo here.

my Spain appt is exactly the same.

it is virtually impossible to sound proof a condo.

if you build a new partition wall, you need a gap between the new and the old.

noise will still pentetrate through electric sockets, down the pillars, etc, etc.

You need to move to a detached house, on a Moo Ban, (a village) in a good location with security.

I rent such a place in Hua Hin, a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, fully furnished detached house for 11,000 a month, and I am never disturbed by a dog, music, or anything.......oh.........I tell a lie........there is a young Thai girl that screams a lot with excitement.........why do young Thai girls always scream?????

In the meantime, buy a couple of noisy fans and have them near your bed.

Saves money on aircon, and the constant noise of the fans is the same as White Noise

also, the ear plugs you can buy, the orange, squidgy ones.

This is actually a very good recommendation, thank you!

And the investment is even more contained that some condos that wouldn't solve the problem at all. I think I'll give it a thought.

Regarding tiling a wall, I thought about it, but it's probably not the best place to do so. I wouldn't mind having an entire room tiled in a house, but for a corner office in a Condo it seems too much. Also investigated other options (Mobile soundproof curtains, indoor boxes for meetings, etc.), but they looked like too much trouble too in comparison to just renting a house. 

Edited by Decaptcher

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I actually lived in D Condo for several months.. there was some noise but not too bad and predictable in timing.. one family would let the little children run and scream down the hallway on the way to scxhool in the morning - but I was awake and it was brief... and at night there was some music late but not long and I have no idea where it was coming from...

I did find an older very quiet friendly building in town... pm me if you want info..

my larger issue w/D Condo was no convenience store nearby... and it was a long way to go around the block.. and walking to Central for some milk was also inconvient.. 

That's great.

Thanks for the recommendation. I lived in an older condo before, but I think I'll go for a house and be done with it.

Regarding the convenience store, I know what you mean. They actually opened a 7 eleven right in front of the condos last year, it was a blessing! Nonetheless, I usually use grab/foodpanda for deliveries and everything always arrive in 20-25m.

I agree with what others have said, and from experience.

Consider a corner unit, as you only have neighbors on one side. Also, some end units have emergency exits (stairwells) on their inside, so there are no connecting neighbors. And, if you're on the top floor, well, you won't have to suffer creaking bedsprings from the strangers upstairs, either ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

No, what I mean is that why would one be cutting steel everyday when it's supposed to be a residential house and not a factory.

If they are using the house as a factory, then it is illegal and should be reported to the authorities.

You must be joking, right? Or did you arrive last week? Residential area in town? Plenty of shops in CNX and even mobaans that have these small shops next door.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

In England or America?  Surely you do not mean in Thailand.

• Like 1

Check out "the Smith Residence Chiang Mai."

The aforementioned "corner suite on the top floor" is good advice.

I would remember that currently  it is a buyers market; consequently, I would  make my needs known, and I would conduct noise tests.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:21 AM, lopburi3 said:

Trust you mean acoustic tile rather than what most of us think of - ceramic tile.   Living in a bathroom is not my idea of quiet.  Years ago I did tile with burnt cork but that was messy to the extreme as decayed over the years.

No, ceramic tile.

Just tile the wall that has the noise. 

Easy and cheap. 

4 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

Check out "the Smith Residence Chiang Mai."

The aforementioned "corner suite on the top floor" is good advice.

I would remember that currently  it is a buyers market; consequently, I would  make my needs known, and I would conduct noise tests.

Isnt the Smith residence a rental facility and not possible to buy there ?

On 7/23/2021 at 10:10 AM, BritManToo said:

It's odd reading these posts because I've never had a noise problem anywhere I lived (12 years, 6 residences). The odd barking dog for a night or two, but that's about it.

If I am reading this correctly, the noisy people see you and move out? Even the dogs after 2 days? 

I think you can make good money hiring yourself out.

• Haha 1

I'd suggest buying lots of large rugs (slip resistant type) and heavy curtains which will absorb a lot of the noise.  Might also be worth investing in a pair of good quality over the ear wireless headphones so you can listen to music or TV as loud as you like whilst also nullifying any external noises. Then at bedtime a loud aircon unit or  'white noise' generator (as suggested earlier) will mask out most disturbances. 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:43 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

I actually lived in D Condo for several months.. there was some noise but not too bad and predictable in timing.. one family would let the little children run and scream down the hallway on the way to scxhool in the morning - but I was awake and it was brief... and at night there was some music late but not long and I have no idea where it was coming from...

I did find an older very quiet friendly building in town... pm me if you want info..

my larger issue w/D Condo was no convenience store nearby... and it was a long way to go around the block.. and walking to Central for some milk was also inconvient.. 

You live next door to the huge Central mall but complain the walk is too long? Your avatar (FinickyOne) suits you perfectly LOL!

5 hours ago, searcher22 said:

You live next door to the huge Central mall but complain the walk is too long? Your avatar (FinickyOne) suits you perfectly LOL!

it says "lived" not live - and for a few months only - I had spent 2 months in and out of the hospital and needed to be in easy access to the hospital... I was in recovery mode but the lovely pool, exercise room and nice gardens all assisted w/a difficult time in my life...

And since you are on Avatar patrol, Mr. Searcher22... keep looking and I hope you find compassion and kindness... a touch of good humor might help you along..  

57 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

it says "lived" not live - and for a few months only - I had spent 2 months in and out of the hospital and needed to be in easy access to the hospital... I was in recovery mode but the lovely pool, exercise room and nice gardens all assisted w/a difficult time in my life...

And since you are on Avatar patrol, Mr. Searcher22... keep looking and I hope you find compassion and kindness... a touch of good humor might help you along..  

I was just taking a friendly jab at you, just teasing. A lot of people would love to be just steps away from a major mall. I wouldn't have posted that  had I known what you had gone through. Anyways, I wish you the best health in these difficult times.

• Thanks 1

Thought I'd post an update.

Of all the proposed solutions, I chose to rent a detached house and will move out soon. It will be a PITA, but hopefully worth it.

What comes next is mostly me complaining about construction ????.

The situation has become unacceptable. I've received a lot of recommendations regarding how to deal with neighbor noise, but again, just in case it wasn't clear, this is not about noisy neighbors, but very normal daily routine sounds.

To give you an example, typing at the computer or even the click of a mouse is something that can be heard between the units. I rely a lot on the computer, and lately I can't even do that past 19PM. In my book, that's not my fault or the neighbors, but of whoever built the condo like this to turn a cheap profit.

It's sad, because a very good condo, with well-maintained facilities, perfect location, reasonably priced, it's completely ruined by this huge problem. At least in my case, knowing this, I would never invest in a condo in the future and certainly stick to a house.

Thanks for all the recommendations!