Soundproof Condo Chiang Mai

Decaptcher

Greetings,

I'm looking for a decent soundproof condo in Chiang Mai.

I've been living in a unit in one of those DCondo near Central Festival for a long time. Honestly, never had a problem for years. Recently, the condo next door was rented and, wow, just now I realize how bad constructions are here.

It's barely possible to make a sound, especially at night. I can hear the neighbors walk around, going to the bathroom, well, you get the picture. It's not a situation where I want or could complain. They are not noisy, I'm talking about normal daily routine. Since I've always been a night owl myself (but also considerate) I find this situation extremely uncomfortable.

My last resort will be to rent a house at the end of my contract, but I'd like to avoid extremes.

I'd prefer to live in a condo with amenities and well-maintained (pool, gym, security, parking, pest control, good condition, etc.) but it also needs to be soundproof (Or whatever it's called). I don't need to know what everyone else is doing all the time.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some older (or more expensive) buildings may be better but there is no guarantee.

Houses will depend on location.  Will the neighbors have a rooster?  Dogs? Party late into the night with loud music?

Not really any solution other than to move and take your chances or to buy and spend tons of money soundproofing the place.

The least expensive solution (which isn’t all that great) would be to buy one of those “white noise machines” which help drown out background noises to a small extent.

• Like 2

There's no such thing as soundproof condo because the condos are linked together top, bottom and adjacent. That's one of the main reasons why I am renting a landed property in the first place. You don't have to put up with all the noise from your neighbour.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Yeh top floor is great.  Your get all the roof leaks and even if they do not happen you get the free heat radiating down from the roof.

If the rental is in a condo, the  condo association would be the entity  to pay for repairs for roof leaks.

But overall in Thailand,  noise issues simply will not be dealt with as they may in Western countries.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

If the rental is in a condo, the  condo association would be the entity  to pay for repairs for roof leaks.

But overall in Thailand,  noise issues simply will not be dealt with as they may in Western countries.

I once stayed in such a condo. Between me and the roof tiles was only gypsum. After every rain you could hear the drops falling down on the gypsum ceiling. Sometimes there was a hole in the ceiling and the water came into the room. But you never knew where. At the computer? At the router? At the TV? Could end very expensive. Therefore I often put a plastic cover on such things when I didn't use them.

In addition the heat. It is radiation heat from the ceiling and so the aircon will not help much because it is not only hot air in the room. 

In addition the outside noise. But great surround sound at thunderstorms. 

In addition - in the roof there were no walls between the condos. So every burglar could walk there from condo to condo. 

Condo association and repair? Perhaps, but when... 

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Yeh top floor is great.  Your get all the roof leaks and even if they do not happen you get the free heat radiating down from the roof.

I always get the top floor--it is hotter but I have ac and is worth it compared to noisy thais....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mormolin said:

I am now always staying in villas exactly for this reason (misophonia is hell...). Even in a townhouse, when the houses are not separated and share the same wall, you can ear music and chair dragging, even if it's coming from a neighbor 4 houses further.

In Chiang Mai, I stayed a while at The Astra Condo. The amenities of this place are really awesome, but the soundproofing is aweful. I very often been waking up in the middle of the night by someone closing is door very loud or by someone dragging a chair. Even if the unit is far away from you and even not on the same floor, you can ear the dragging noise very loud.

We even often been waking up very early in the morning by cooking noise from the neighbor 3 floors below us.

I changed units 3 times in this building and each time it was the same thing. I became so angry that I just decided to move to Phuket and rent a villa. I definitely don't regret my choice! (But my wallet does... haha).

I had a place with this--squeaky main door....doors slamming and dragging chairs on tile..(screech)....I oiled the door and got felt pads from 20 baht shop

Politely and smiling I listened and found the noisemakers---knocked on door-during day...smiled again and used my best survival thai to explain the noise

I ASKED to place pads on door frame corners and under chairs-----the thais looked at me as usual(crazy man) and then returned to smile when they saw the results

Also ear plugs--a must in LOS and a noise machine....somebody told the manager who knocked on my door as they thought it was water turned on full blast! 555

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Airalee said:

Will the neighbors have a rooster?  Dogs? Party late into the night with loud music?

Always assume YES...has been my white whale constantly searching for the perfect quiet spot in LOS..not sure it exists....learn to adapt best u can

21 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I had a place with this--squeaky main door....doors slamming and dragging chairs on tile..(screech)....I oiled the door and got felt pads from 20 baht shop

Politely and smiling I listened and found the noisemakers---knocked on door-during day...smiled again and used my best survival thai to explain the noise

I ASKED to place pads on door frame corners and under chairs-----the thais looked at me as usual(crazy man) and then returned to smile when they saw the results

Also ear plugs--a must in LOS and a noise machine....somebody told the manager who knocked on my door as they thought it was water turned on full blast! 555

What was your survival Thai? Tam Mai Khun Siang dang mak mak sow the <deleted> wow, something like that .

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

the  condo association would be the entity  to pay for repairs for roof leaks.

Yes and until they decide to do it you get the water coming in to damage your furniture and floor.  What a joy.  They are not in a hurry because their condo is dry. SO they pay to repair the roof, do they pay for your damaged stuff and inconvenience? 

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Our condo in a busy (before Covid) tourise area is quieter than our house in a rural Thai village.

Having a house is no guarantee of peace. There are always chances of loud neighbours playing base music, barking dogs and cutting steel. 

What do you mean by cutting steel?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fact that I kind of lucked out in the unit location (Last floor, almost end of corridor, next to emergency stairways, empty front and adjacent units for years) is one of the main reasons I'm hesitant to moving out right away.

Might just as well wait till the end of the contract and see how everything turns out.

I'm not that bothered by neighbors noise, the problem is that even normal routine movements can be heard. I also do use the PC till very late (Not doing so lately just for consideration).

I don't mind renting a house as a last resort honestly, it's just a hassle. And I will probably need to soundproof a room anyway for my needs in that case (Gaming room).

You need to find a HOUSE...not a condo...if you want quiet.  And, you need to choose carefully the location.  Watch out for the roosters in the morning, noon, and night.  It might take you years to find a quiet place.  It's just a matter of luck, and trial and error, and this can require years.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's odd reading these posts because I've never had a noise problem anywhere I lived (12 years, 6 residences). The odd barking dog for a night or two, but that's about it.

Not only odd, but I would say that your experience is EXTREMELY odd.  I have never heard of such a case as yours.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:14 PM, Decaptcher said:

. I can hear the neighbors walk around, going to the bathroom, well, you get the picture

The cheapest option would be to tile the wall. 

There are some great looking tiles to choose. Make a feature wall. 

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

The cheapest option would be to tile the wall. 

There are some great looking tiles to choose. Make a feature wall. 

Trust you mean acoustic tile rather than what most of us think of - ceramic tile.   Living in a bathroom is not my idea of quiet.  Years ago I did tile with burnt cork but that was messy to the extreme as decayed over the years.

On 7/23/2021 at 10:10 AM, BritManToo said:

It's odd reading these posts because I've never had a noise problem anywhere I lived (12 years, 6 residences). The odd barking dog for a night or two, but that's about it.

I think part of dealing with this is also in the mind of the beholder. Why I say this is that we have been in our current rental house for two years and plan on remains but ... We soon found out our neighbor raises roosters so every morning we literally wake up with the chickens ... but, well not a problem for us. Much preferable to barking dogs at all hours, I'm thinking ...

I actually lived in D Condo for several months.. there was some noise but not too bad and predictable in timing.. one family would let the little children run and scream down the hallway on the way to scxhool in the morning - but I was awake and it was brief... and at night there was some music late but not long and I have no idea where it was coming from...

I did find an older very quiet friendly building in town... pm me if you want info..

my larger issue w/D Condo was no convenience store nearby... and it was a long way to go around the block.. and walking to Central for some milk was also inconvient.. 

• Like 1