13 million AstraZeneca and Sinovac vaccine doses to be administered in Thailand by end of August

snoop1130

21 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

5 million Sinovac doses?? What a waste of time.

Hopefully they are just getting rid of current stock and not replenishing it with more Sinovac.  In that case, Sinovac followed up by a dose of Astra Zeneca, Pfizer or one of the other effective vaccines against the dominant Delta strain, does appear to provide enough resistance to severe infection.  So, until stocks of Sinovac are reduced to zero, then it is better than nothing.    

For many of us who want/need to travel abroad in the future, we will need a vaccine that is recognised by the destination country.  Unless you are a Chinese citizen or a few others, then we will need at least the Astra Zeneca vaccine for travel without quarantine.  Many countries just will not accept Sinovac as a recognised vaccine that meets their standards. 

It seems that from the start Thailand's response to Covid was luck rather than judgement. Now with a more contagious strain in ascendance they are going to have to show their mettle.

They are not alone in being very slow with vaccinations, Australia is another example, but they will have to be vey quick and efficient if they are to restart major parts of the economy like tourism.

Draconian restrictions can slow the spread of the disease, ut in the end the nation needs to be protected and life returned to normal.

It remains to be seen what damage hs already been done by the governments unimaginative policies.

Edited by Thunglom

10 hours ago, Randell said:

My local Wiang Chai hospital in CR. I will to let me have  shot but they are only  two choices. Two Sinopharm no follow up booster or a Sinovac followed by  AZ with good possibility of third booster in sept , Oct. I am scheduled for Aug 10. Our small hospital has a very controlled procedure and is busy every day giving injections to the elderly and with co-morbidities  no children but young adults always hard to guess the ages even after all my years here.

I am not wild about my limited choice but something is definitely better than nothing and as things progress there will be far more choice  in the fall I am sure so even possible to get an MNRA booster at a later date. I need all the help I can get going the the last stages of Chemotherapy and having high blood pressure under treatment of course but not the least a risk with the rest of the 70 year old package 555..

So just going with the best of not so great options but get something for which I am greatful.

Good luck. You should have been vaccinated first. Instead, we get this BS about young Thai tourist workers and  govt officials  prioritization

1 hour ago, Dont confuse me said:

Administering vaccines! 

Really? The EU only started administering vaccines in late December and it went very slowly for a while. Thailand started in April, I think. The UK started in December. They did better than the Europeans.

Another post denigrating and calling Chinese vaccines useless and referring to it with derogatory names has been removed.

Whilst it may be less effective in certain cases ie Delta strain it is by no means useless.

At the end of the day this is a Thai government sponsored vaccine and the forum and or yourself can get in trouble for comments like this so stop it.

8 hours ago, johnarth said:

new info from Australia if you have jabs of AstraZeneca from India you will have trouble to travel because it is not registered

It doesn't matter at all whether you are vaccinated or not, they'll lock you up for 14 days anyway. And if you are in Sydney and finish your 14 days, you may get into another lockdown, where people from some suburbs are prevented going to work unless they are essential workers.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:01 PM, DrPhibes said:

And the other 33% are for whom?

Do the Maths please.
It is the clowns counting again, just like the 10 million AZ that AZ said was only about 6 million on the order.

33% dark red / red, 10% other red zones, 15% other 48 provinces.

This is 58%. What happened to the other 42%. 

Perhaps that's the part that's not actually been ordered.

6 / 10  = 40% not available.

On 7/23/2021 at 5:34 AM, ukrules said:

Excellent news, they're on track to bring it under control some time next year.

There's no need to cancel the 'sandbox scheme' because nobody's going to come.

Over 6000 arrivals as of a week our two ago to Phuket and I will be one of the many thousands to come when Pattaya opens.  So you were wrong before you even posted that.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Over 6000 arrivals as of a week our two ago to Phuket and I will be one of the many thousands to come when Pattaya opens.  So you were wrong before you even posted that.

The way things are going right now - you're having a laugh.

The country is on the verge of collapse, I give it 10 to 20 days before there's a nationwide lockdown like nothing we've seen before.

Each to their own though.

7 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Not in Spain!

Really?

COVID-19 vaccination in Spain - statistics & facts

The COVID-19 vaccination campaign in Spain started on December 27, after the European Medicines Agency authorized the vaccine developed by the biotechnology company BioNTech and the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer. 

https://www.statista.com/topics/7616/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-in-spain/

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

Really?

COVID-19 vaccination in Spain - statistics & facts

The COVID-19 vaccination campaign in Spain started on December 27, after the European Medicines Agency authorized the vaccine developed by the biotechnology company BioNTech and the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer. 

https://www.statista.com/topics/7616/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-in-spain/

I live there, don't believe all you read.

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Hasn't it been written that Sinovac is almost wholly ineffective against Delta variant? 

It may have been written but that doesn't make it so. There are now  trials being conducted to find out how effective it is against the Delta variant.

Edited by placeholder

Mixing AZ with SV is an interested experiment that has not been subjected to the formality of human trials yet, or rather is in the process of being trialed on the pubic.  There have already been at least two deaths after the AZ second shot but both reported cases were blamed on the deceased for not being fit enough. 

What's the betting that 1xSV + 1xAZ provides no more immunity after a couple of months than 1xAZ alone?

Should have signed up for Covax instead of playing political gains making AZ the local producer, thinking they could make money in SE Asia.
3 Million doses DONATED to Vietnam by COVAX arrives in HCMC... 
Not 'to be administered', 'will be administered', 'going to be administered'
These vaccines are delivered and on the ground in Vietnam !!

Source: 
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/3-mln-moderna-vaccine-doses-reach-vietnam-4330091.html

53 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

You obviously have no idea what the efficacy numbers even mean. Regardless, It will keep you out of the hospital, and possible death, thats good enough for me. 

Already corrected my error in another post as it was stated earlier in the article that the 33% had been allocated.  You only get so much time to correct a post before you can't so had to add another post.  BTW, degrees in Chemistry, Medical Technology, and Chemical Engineering, the latter degree from UC Santa Barbara.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:01 PM, DrPhibes said:

And the other 33% are for whom?

Nice saline injections for farangs.  They can even go to the front of the line.
Still need some plunkers in the placebo groups of these ongoing live trials.

"Wow.  That was great.  Injected by a hot nurse who slipped it in without a pinch.  No redness, soreness, or any side affects for that matter.  What a great vaccine!!!"

#Sarcoff

3 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Already corrected my error in another post as it was stated earlier in the article that the 33% had been allocated.  You only get so much time to correct a post before you can't so had to add another post.  BTW, degrees in Chemistry, Medical Technology, and Chemical Engineering, the latter degree from UC Santa Barbara.

Antibodies from Sinovac's COVID-19 shot fade after about 6 months, booster helps - study

https://www.yahoo.com/news/antibodies-sinovacs-covid-19-shot-142748493.html

Mixed AstraZeneca-Pfizer shot boosts COVID antibody level - study

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mixed-astrazeneca-pfizer-shot-boosts-080120509.html

11 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Antibodies from Sinovac's COVID-19 shot fade after about 6 months, booster helps - study

https://www.yahoo.com/news/antibodies-sinovacs-covid-19-shot-142748493.html

Mixed AstraZeneca-Pfizer shot boosts COVID antibody level - study

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mixed-astrazeneca-pfizer-shot-boosts-080120509.html

My goal is to get an AZ shot followed by a Moderns but it seems vaccine is going to deep red and not red like here in Chiang Mai.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:46 PM, DrPhibes said:

Great so then you understand that Sinovac will at least keep you out of hospital right. Great stuff, good luck mate.

1 hour ago, jossthaifarang said:

Great so then you understand that Sinovac will at least keep you out of hospital right. Great stuff, good luck mate.

Which is why all front line medical personnel are getting a Pfizer booster from the just received 1.5 million donated by the US who already had double shots of Sinovac?