Old photos of Pattaya show beach resort of a bygone era

webfact

Remember the Welcome Inn over on soi 3-4?  The ultimate short time place.  How about the walkway around the point and against the cliff from Pattaya to Naklua?  That fell down around 2005?  Soi Yume behind what was then Carre 4 was dirt.  My buddy always stayed at nantana Gardens down that way.  Diana Inn now gone.  What a nice outdoor pool area that had.  How about just actual Low and High seasons?  Traffic gone in low seasons.   Some pretty good videos of days gone by from some German or Austrian chaps on u tooob.  The one showing the view from big buddha Hill with not a single big hotel in Pattaya is amazing

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 10:34 PM, Kerryd said:

My first trip was in Feb '93.

Started off in a hotel on the north end of Pattaya Beach (around soi 2).
First night I walked all the way down to the Marine Bar on Walking Street. There was some shops and restaurants past the "Big Buddha Tree" but not much for "entertainment" so I went back to the Marine Bar.
Ended up changing hotels and going to the brand new "DayNight 2" hotel which was much cheaper (further from the beach though which wasn't an issue for me) and quieter.

I'd gone to one go-go bar in Bangkok on the first night of my trip. It was boring so I never even looked at the (one or two) that were on Walking Street at the time. I think there was Happy's (on soi Happy) and the Electric Blue on Walking Street.

Next trip was in '98 and I think they were only up to about a dozen a-go-gos by then, maybe 20 by the time I came back in 2000, all on Walking Street. 

Then it started to explode. In 2004 there were a couple dozen. By 2006 there was probably 3 dozen plus. I remember calculating that if you spent 1 hour per club from 8pm to 3 am, it would take one full week to hit every go-go bar on Walking Street.

2006-2010 was boom time. I think the total number of go-gos in Pattaya went up to around 75. They were popping up on Soi 7 and soi Bhukhao for the first time as well as in Jomtien. I remember going to the first one that opened off of Walking Street (I think it was "We are the World" and was at the bottom of Soi 7, just before Beach Rd.)
The little side sois off of Walking Street were hosting a lot of go-gos as well. They were springing up everywhere !

Walking Street - 1979                                                            (Taken by someone coming down "Big Buddha Hill")
1438624302_WalkingStreet-1979.jpg.a39f48b92a97cc3f79f52fe233a52a78.jpg  471086868_BigBuddhahill-1968.jpg.dddf3e53858a42c9dacdf45f9771239d.jpg

Pattaya Bay - 1970                                                                   Pattaya Bay 2017
1870308278_PattayaBay-1970.jpg.bf2d8a1d93043a38ac1414cf8777b15a.jpg                       792823440_PattayaBay-Jan2017-d.thumb.JPG.799ad67f21e5551904f10b7c47f2329c.JPG

Pattaya Bar Girls (circa late 1960s)
1332552739_BarGirls-circalate1960s.jpg.556be0cfca4ff7570305b4fd91e6a273.jpg

I think I know them, or maybe it's their grand-daughters.  LOL

3 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

I think I know them, or maybe it's their grand-daughters.  LOL

I don't know, it could still be "them" just with different hairstyles !!

I did know one woman who was dancing in a go-go bar and let me know her (20 year old) daughter was "available" - she was the cashier !

It gets scarier when you realize you've been coming here for over 20 years (or 28 years) and start to wonder if any of those girls up on stage may be your daughter. (Or daughters.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I don't know, it could still be "them" just with different hairstyles !!

I did know one woman who was dancing in a go-go bar and let me know her (20 year old) daughter was "available" - she was the cashier !

It gets scarier when you realize you've been coming here for over 20 years (or 28 years) and start to wonder if any of those girls up on stage may be your daughter. (Or daughters.)

ha ha ha ha .. yep, I was there in 69 on R&R.  Maybe a daughter or son running around. 

• Confused 1

On 7/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, Kerryd said:

My first trip was in Feb '93.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, Kerryd said:

I'd gone to one go-go bar in Bangkok on the first night of my trip. It was boring so I never even looked at the (one or two) that were on Walking Street at the time. I think there was Happy's (on soi Happy) and the Electric Blue on Walking Street.

Happy and Electric Blue didn't exist in 1993.

Soi Happy didn't even exist then!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Happy and Electric Blue didn't exist in 1993.

Soi Happy didn't even exist then!

OK.
Apparently Happy started "over 20 years ago" so 2000/2001 ? I thought it was much older than that.

I was sure there had been 1 or 2 go-gos on Walking Street back then but maybe I had the year wrong.
Quite frankly, a lot was a blur. I do recall though that I made a conscious decision to stay away from go-go bars in Pattaya but that may have been on the 2nd trip I made.
Was there in '93, '98 (twice), 2000 and 2002. Back in again in 2004 when I rented my first apartment and started making month long trips 2-3 times a year.

I used to do the Hash Runs in the mid-80's. 

I still have a 2 hour VHS tape here somewhere with a video recording of the after-run highlights... the drink truck and all the singing, drinking (in the circle) afterwards until it got dark and the beer went dry. Jessie was the Hash Master at the time (may he Rest In Peace).

We'd later kick-on back to a Pattaya bar for more drinks.  Got some video in one of the bars with DOORS music in the background.

In those days I had a BIG Panasonic Video camera that recorded on the actual VHS Video Cassette...   so, straight out of the camera and into the Video Player to watch on TV.

I can remember one night returning to the Tahitian Queen and we played part of my video on their TV.

We were all telling the dancing darlings to get out of the way so we could see the TV.

Crikey...  the guys and gals in that video would all be 36 years older if they're still around.

Scarey!

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, saakura said:

Looks so beautiful. How they have destroyed it by encouraging mass tourism & group tours. 

I rather like having air-con malls, a plethora of dining and hotel options, AND a nice beach...especially as I'm not in the military. To each their own.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Kerryd said:

OK.
Apparently Happy started "over 20 years ago" so 2000/2001 ? I thought it was much older than that.

I was sure there had been 1 or 2 go-gos on Walking Street back then but maybe I had the year wrong.
Quite frankly, a lot was a blur. I do recall though that I made a conscious decision to stay away from go-go bars in Pattaya but that may have been on the 2nd trip I made.
Was there in '93, '98 (twice), 2000 and 2002. Back in again in 2004 when I rented my first apartment and started making month long trips 2-3 times a year.

I arrived in 1994 and there were a few go-gos in Soi Diamond, Baby and Carousel, and notably the open air Carousel Bar in the middle of the soi that rotated. TQ2 was on Soi BJ, and along Walking Street there was The Blackout Bar which was the best of the lot. There was another that I don't remember the name of, just by Linda's bar.

On Soi 13 (?) there was The Classroom and (something) Jack's (someone help me out here), an Aussie themed bar, it later became Rodeo Bar I think.

I remember Happy opening so I know it wasn't there in 1993, and Electric Blue is one of the new ones I've never been in.

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I arrived in 1994 and there were a few go-gos in Soi Diamond, Baby and Carousel, and notably the open air Carousel Bar in the middle of the soi that rotated.

2003    25th anniversary bash.

DSCF0024.thumb.JPG.a6b27afa0c0544f44b166bb75738270c.JPG

DSCF0020.thumb.JPG.5537eaffb95f4ed764bf68e62e55c25a.JPG

DSCF0060.thumb.JPG.c1a176c9c2486caeba180fc3f96601e7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I remember Happy opening so I know it wasn't there in 1993, and Electric Blue is one of the new ones I've never been in.

Electric Blue was just down the street from where Peppermint is now. It was probably 2000 when I dared enter (but it could have opened long before that). 
I remember it was my first "dart show". 
I used to hang out in the Lucky Star Bar across from the Marine Bar, close to where the Blues Factory used to be. Took me a long time before I started going to the gogos instead. 
Used to love Polo when it was running. Was my favourite gogo for years. Also used to go to the Wet n' Wild (formerly the Blue Lagoon before they moved to Beach Rd). It was on the bottom floor of the Center Condo complex not far from my apartment on Soi DayNight 2.

The residents of Center Condo weren't so thrilled with the place though ! Or the things I used to do in their pool, sauna and jacuzzi !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I thought Electric Blue was up one of the side sois, not on WS itself?

I see there used to be a "Club Electric Blue" which opened in Pattaya in 2007 and then moved to soi 15 in 2015.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Hooty's?

There have been so many bars/shops/restaurants in that area over the years. Just looking at Google's Street View since 2012 and you can see all the changes just in the last 9 years.

But the go-go I remember going to that one time would have been in the area near Linda's. I don't recall it being past the "Big Buddha tree" but it could have been (maybe around where the FLB bar used to be).

14 hours ago, delboy said:

Second Road was very lightly populated.  No bar fines in those days, all the girls were free agents

Great photos, thanks.

The bay used to be full of those big boats back in the early 90s.

I'm surprised it developed so fast between the 70s and early 80s. I thought it took longer.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No, don't recognise that name.

It was just past Linda's, opposite the Red Lion with the entrance door set well back from the road, low stage on the left when you went in?

Afraid it is all a bit of a blur.... near where Crazy House was?

On 7/30/2021 at 12:02 PM, delboy said:

I first visited Pattaya with my friend in August 1981, on a stopover coming back from Hong Kong.  We stayed at the Orchid Lodge, near the Dolphin Roundabout.  The Grace and the Marine Bar were the big 2 bars in South Pattaya (Walking Street hadn't been named then), with a free Katoy show at the Simon Bar.  

Walking north on Beach Road after the Bus Station was a bit desolate, only a few small bars sprinkled about.  I met my future wife in one of those small bars in 1982 just where the Police Station, next to the Festival. is today.  We stayed in the Green Hotel.

Second Road Soi 4          Tahitian Queen                 

Second Road was very lightly populated.  No bar fines in those days, all the girls were free agents.  400 baht short time, 500 baht all night.

Excellent pics and many thanks for posting them.

Your timeline matched almost exactly with mine. I first visited Pattaya around July 1981 (from Saudi) and also met up with my future wife in 1982 - although that was a Bangkok meetup. Early years stayed mainly at Ocean View on Beach Road before buying a place in The Village on 3rd Road around 1988.

Really happy to have experienced Pattaya way back then, although still a 'late arrival' for some of the early birds!!

Yes, in those days the Marine Bar was the go to place. Even recall the space invader machines located at the back. Stories about other games are best left untold...... Was lucky to be in the Marine Bar, in 1984, when the QE2 was in port and some of the crew took on the local Muay Thai guys with predictable results. Recorded for posterity as part of a Whicker's World show.  

Oh for a Time Machine.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, NCC1701A said:

many old photos of Thailand with old cars and fashions but one thing really stands out to me, no massive piles of cables on power poles.   

Most of the cables are internet and TV cables. There was neither back then.

• Like 1