Old photos of Pattaya show beach resort of a bygone era

webfact

On 7/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, NCC1701A said:

many old photos of Thailand with old cars and fashions but one thing really stands out to me, no massive piles of cables on power poles.   

I'm not the first or last poster to call you out, but pics or it didn't happen. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Didn't look like that in 1993, but it was as good as it gets back then. Not too busy and fun, fun, fun.

Yes, it is a faint memory but those early days were great... my  first visit was 80s.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, NCC1701A said:

many old photos of Thailand with old cars and fashions but one thing really stands out to me, no massive piles of cables on power poles.   

They just kept adding cables when nobody could figure out where they went!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Didn't look like that in 1993, but it was as good as it gets back then. Not too busy and fun, fun, fun.

I first got there in 1985.  then it was just a little beach town, with some bars from Vietnam days. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

I first went there at Xmas 1983...  stayed at the Pattaya 11 Hotel, just near the Pitstop Bar.

Biggest and best venue in town was the Marine Bar for the nightlife, and we often frequented B.J.'s Bar of a late afternoon to watch music video's on VHS tapes and drink Kloster  or Amarit beer.

I did the Pattaya Hash runs regularly but after about 8 years I grew tired of the "excesses" of everything!

Noise pollution, water pollution and dirty beach. My last visit there was 1991!  

Judging by the supplied old photographs from the 60's/70's (??) ...  so-called 'progress' was already alive and living when I was there in 1983.

My alternative beach choice in the 90's was Phuket (Patong) then Post-Tsunami,   Koh Chang.

We stopped visiting Koh Chang several years ago after a landslide from the mountain opposite our hotel took down the room/building we used to stay in.  Now...  instead of beaches I prefer drinks by the pool. 

A lot of good times back then.  BJ's bar is gone now but he's still around at the northern end of the beach.  Kloster and Amarit were fun beers to drink back then, especially after a long hot day out on the hash.

On-On!

• Like 1