Bangkok people coming to Jomtien condo every weekend...what to do

ronjomtien

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

An excellent workout now that gyms and parks are closed. With that many floors in your building, the risk of an infected elevator is higher as people are spending more time in it. Lack of exercise is becoming a huge problem with lockdowns. This current one is already anticipated to last until the end of September.

That would be great if I had didn't have bronchiectasis.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ronjomtien said:

That would be great if I had didn't have bronchiectasis.

I understand that climbing stairs can be problematic for many people and my solution to walk up 30 stairs was a bit tongue in cheek. I wouldn't find it easy either, due to knee problems. All you can do is hope the lift is clean and maybe invest in a N95 mask.

Edit: due to your condition, the risk of death from covid-19 delta is very high. Maybe you could pick up a "spare air" cylinder from a dive shop, for riding the lift. They are small and portable, and maybe you could leave it at the front desk.

Edited by JensenZ

14 hours ago, MayBeNow said:

Chill out, watch less tv, read the covid threads on thaivisa with bemusement and you will be surprised how little changed.

And that is what Bonnie Soria Najera, and Debra Guidry Thomas were thinking one day...

43 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I understand that climbing stairs can be problematic for many people and my solution to walk up 30 stairs was a bit tongue in cheek. I wouldn't find it easy either, due to knee problems. All you can do is hope the lift is clean and maybe invest in a N95 mask.

Edit: due to your condition, the risk of death from covid-19 delta is very high. Maybe you could pick up a "spare air" cylinder from a dive shop, for riding the lift. They are small and portable, and maybe you could leave it at the front desk.

3M N95 mask is nowhere to be found in Pattaya any more. Online bad as well. I can spray Dettol in lift.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Unfortunately it's no longer a free choice when traveling internationally,  and vaccine passports are very popular now in some countries... and you can bet your bottom dollar it will take on everywhere before this show is over. Like it or not, you too may be vaccinated. It will reach the stage where unvaccinated people will be considered dirty and the enemy of the human race.

Yeah unfortunately its going that way. I do however still have a glimmer of hope that society comes to it senses, yet i fear that will take atleast a decade or so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

An excellent workout now that gyms and parks are closed. With that many floors in your building, the risk of an infected elevator is higher as people are spending more time in it. Lack of exercise is becoming a huge problem with lockdowns. This current one is already anticipated to last until the end of September.

Yes. And even though it would be much more logical to close an elevator than the bts or a gym, they don’t do that. 

Take home: nobody actually believes this is as serious as it’s being made out to be. Because if it was, surely people actually afraid of dying would close elevators if they knew it would kill them. 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, sucit said:

Yes. And even though it would be much more logical to close an elevator than the bts or a gym, they don’t do that. 

Take home: nobody actually believes this is as serious as it’s being made out to be. Because if it was, surely people actually afraid of dying would close elevators if they knew it would kill them. 

Huh? Surely that should be "people actually afraid of dying should NOT USE elevators if they THOUGHT it would kill them"? 

IMO let the fearful walk up the stairs.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Unfortunately it's no longer a free choice when traveling internationally,  and vaccine passports are very popular now in some countries... and you can bet your bottom dollar it will take on everywhere before this show is over. Like it or not, you too may be vaccinated. It will reach the stage where unvaccinated people will be considered dirty and the enemy of the human race.

Soooo, what are they going to do if another variant that the present vaccines don't prevent appears? Lock everyone down for ever?

However, I'm all in favour of restricting cheap flights. All they achieved was destroying Thailand as a nice place to visit, as it used to be before cheap air travel started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are you saying that people from Bangkok are currently not allowed to enter Pattaya or it's just something that you don't like?   A bit like Bangkok residents not liking "people from Pattaya coming here because we don't know what they are bringing"?

Just worried. Governor can close beach, closes Dongtan beach road to motorbikes,why can't he close Chon Buri to outsiders unless have a valid reason to enter. I only go Bangkok to get my vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soooo, what are they going to do if another variant that the present vaccines don't prevent appears? Lock everyone down for ever?

However, I'm all in favour of restricting cheap flights. All they achieved was destroying Thailand as a nice place to visit, as it used to be before cheap air travel started.

Yes.... Costa Del Sol, no further East for the Hoi Polloi.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Going to Bangkok for a vaccination is no different to coming here for any other reason, you still bring your germs and infections with you.  Just as you "don't know what people from Bangkok are taking to Pattaya, people in Bangkok don't know what you're bringing here, either.

I go to Bangkok for 3 hours not three days and only once in three years not every weekend. And you should start worrying when infected Tokyo sends home all the thousands of athletes to 200 countries, many who are positive and not vaccinated. Head for the hills or Guam.

4 hours ago, sucit said:

Actually, the OP has already stated he has a serious respiratory disease, so he would only need to catch covid-19 once from one person and it could be over. It's not a matter of someone thinking they might die, as you mockingly suggested, but a very real danger given the speed of the current spread and a 30-floor elevator ride in busy condo. He would be wise to be afraid.

Even for myself, I would not be wanting to ride 30 floors in an elevator in a busy condo building. A small enclosed area used by 100's of people all day long is not OK.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

Question How long does covid 19 last on worktops or elevator buttons? Do different materials harbour bacteria for longer than others?

You think the risk in an elevator comes from touching the buttons? That's easy to solve with gloves. The real risk is breathing the air.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In case you haven't noticed, most countries are being destroyed by this pandemic, no matter how their governments are handling it. Thailand is no special case and no better or worse than most other nations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Huh? Surely that should be "people actually afraid of dying should NOT USE elevators if they THOUGHT it would kill them"? 

IMO let the fearful walk up the stairs.

30 floors with a respiratory disease? Which could kill you faster?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HampiK said:

Chonburi 46 Covid case per 100K

Good points but I do suspect that Chonburi's population is significantly more than the official figures.  Bangkok could be too.  I think many actual Chonburi residents are officially listed in their home province's population figures.

Just now, JensenZ said:

In case you haven't noticed, most countries are being destroyed by this pandemic, no matter how their governments are handling it. Thailand is no special case and no better or worse than most other nations.

The individual struggles are perhaps far greater in some countries than others, but will go unnoticed when looking at the international picture. 

Those who have lost jobs and cash in hand income; from the guy selling peanuts outside the university which is now shut, to the market vendors, anyone working in the tourism industry, to factory workers in factories which have closed down, taxi drivers, motorcycle taxi’s, street food vendors...etc etc etc... 

There are millions of Thai’s who without work will suffer dramatically in the absence of a social welfare system. Where as in the UK there are furlough schemes which helped people keep the 'wolf from the door’...

While Thailand is ’no special case’ as you put it, those nations which are still considered developing are considered developing because they do not have the same safety nets in place as many of our home nations - some people call them the ’nanny state’ but ultimately, this is what a more advanced government does - it puts policies and procedures in place which best protect the weakest of society who are unable to help themselves. 

Nothing is perfect and there will always be holes in any system - but where holes exist in some nations, canyons exist in Thailand (and other poorer nations) where people will ultimately struggle without any income. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The individual struggles are perhaps far greater in some countries than others, but will go unnoticed when looking at the international picture. 

Those who have lost jobs and cash in hand income; from the guy selling peanuts outside the university which is now shut, to the market vendors, anyone working in the tourism industry, to factory workers in factories which have closed down, taxi drivers, motorcycle taxi’s, street food vendors...etc etc etc... 

There are millions of Thai’s who without work will suffer dramatically in the absence of a social welfare system. Where as in the UK there are furlough schemes which helped people keep the 'wolf from the door’...

While Thailand is ’no special case’ as you put it, those nations which are still considered developing are considered developing because they do not have the same safety nets in place as many of our home nations - some people call them the ’nanny state’ but ultimately, this is what a more advanced government does - it puts policies and procedures in place which best protect the weakest of society who are unable to help themselves. 

Nothing is perfect and there will always be holes in any system - but where holes exist in some nations, canyons exist in Thailand (and other poorer nations) where people will ultimately struggle without any income. 

The nanny states will have their day of reckoning IMO due to billion and trillion dollar printing sprees that will one way or another need to be paid off, and most likely by a wholesale dilution of the value of money, possibly causing hyperinflation. The printing presses have only borrowed some time. Thailand has not been using the printing press to help out, which will come with some advantages in the future. On a worldwide comparison I think Thailand is doing quite well. It might be time to stock up on baht.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1