Domestic buyers snapping up properties in Thai resort destinations

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

they are going to be disappointed when they get to Hua Hin and realize it looks nothing like that heavily photoshopped photo.   

if only the water was that color. 

We own a house right on Banana Beach in Loei.  In fact we own the beach.  Hope your water color is a bit better than ours. 

image.jpeg.c7f450731b16a07e53094bf37f61aefd.jpegimage.jpeg.997ae74c00ecf3a6b821782b7ce8bc54.jpeg

18 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Only an asset if you can rent it out and make money. 

Otherwise it is a liability and money pit

Depends what you buy it for....

There's already some great deals out there, offer 50% of asking price and take it from there. If you're in for the ong haul, happy days IMO.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Mrs Dog got a call from a woman of her acquaintance asking to borrow money today.  The poor soul lost her livelihood upcountry due to COVID and came to Bangkok looking for work.  She found a job in a coffee shop but was sacked after two weeks because she got an undiagnosed fever that may or may not have been COVID but too difficult to get tested to find out.  Now the shop is closed anyway. She has a son in primary school and husband ran off with another woman. Of course she lent her some not expecting to get it back.  This is the lot of the average Thai now. Suicides are already on the rise and will get worse.

Sad times for Thai people who have an unaccoutable government that doesn't care.  Who cares about a couple of farang real estate brokers desperately talking up their own books before they get taken out in body bags? 

So what's your point, are you pimping her out  or are you looking for a business deal?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

We own a house right on Banana Beach in Loei.  In fact we own the beach.  Hope your water color is a bit better than ours. 

image.jpeg.c7f450731b16a07e53094bf37f61aefd.jpegimage.jpeg.997ae74c00ecf3a6b821782b7ce8bc54.jpeg

they have beaches in Loei?

This looks fantastic, why you'd want to go elswhere i've no idea.

Loei is one of my favourite places in Thailand - love it.

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

they have beaches in Loei?

This looks fantastic, why you'd want to go elswhere i've no idea.

Loei is one of my favourite places in Thailand - love it.

It's just our pond on the edge of a swamp we don't own.  The house is about 1 km from downtown Meung Loei.  But we have a nice view from our porch. 

Currently living in USA.

image.jpeg.e63b949906de2d57dc194195b5006cc1.jpeg  image.jpeg.2f23f81d8ce687f5064625c363563615.jpeg

This is where we are now in Virginia with about a 2 Rai property.  Wish we had a better garden, but the wild deer eat most everything.  Can't shoot them in the suburbs.  I'd prefer a smaller place now.  Our place is outlined in red.  The guy across the way (in center) knocked down a nice house and built a 3 Million $+ monstrosity that took more than a year.  He moved in and committed suicide in no time flat.  ??? 

image.png.d5ad4d437a719eac43084a408ca7a45f.png

image.png.199f99e7ad2b1e6e2510b8031b9b8097.png

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Mornington Hill was completed in 2017 and they are still trying to sell houses there 

https://www.home.co.th/home/mornington-hill-7045

No it wasn't, the first ones for sale would have been then. The blocks of flats on Mornington Hill, not listed in your link, were completed in the last few months and there is still some landscaping taking place. 

Not sure if any are actually occupied in Mornington Green yet, not long since they shut the road to put the electricity in. You can tell when they are sold, get finished off in the colour of choice.

I can see both developments from my house but have a high wall on the perimeter. They are either side of a T junction and we normally take the leg that goes past the entrance to the "Hill".

6 hours ago, Airalee said:

Looks like a lovely neighborhood on Google street view.  

Do you live down towards the auto body shop or the other way with the yard full of used truck canopies for sale?

Yes, quite rural. Coming from the bypass I live up the road that goes to the left between the 2 developments, heading towards the old hospital.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Amazingly I get messages from lazudi, FazWaz and one other company telling me how Hua Hin is the upcoming location for investment as the train will be coming soon

Recently I look to the track, it is narrow gauge, I can't imagine high speed train can use this.

8 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Hua Hin has long had an upmarket kudos with the hisos - because of the Royal connection (palace etc). I wonder if this is still a factor?  It was always a different world from the Pattaya/Phuket universe...

I wouldn't say it's a factor. Just that it's close to Bangkok so not too far for a weekend away. And not overly in yer face sleazy either.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Amazingly I get messages from lazudi, FazWaz and one other company telling me how Hua Hin is the upcoming location for investment as the train will be coming soon

The train will make a big difference if it's a reliable service. 

Certainly won't be a negative thing anyway. 

Petkasem is now double carriageway most of the way south from HH to where it joins with the 37 too.

On 7/25/2021 at 8:33 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Money begets money and only those that have can obviously buy.  Not your typical run of the mill family who is living day to day now because of Covid where before covid they would have had extra money to invest.  Must be all of the Hi-So's or those acting at the behest of others.

Those who have money can buy, and right now - also those who can borrow. A deluge of cheap credit is being extended to HNW clients at an accelerated pace since central banks cut rates last year.  Private banks are encouraging their clients to borrow against existing investments at very low rates, to purchase property or more investments - creating the mother of all asset bubbles. 

It doesn't end well when rates go up.

This article discusses the issues from a US perspective, but we've been hearing plenty of similar stories regarding the activities of Asian-based private banks.  https://www.ft.com/content/8a328af4-b8f2-48c5-82a9-d7dc1c345e1c