The Dos and Don’ts when Doing a COVID Test at Home

webfact

38D0D3DF-083C-47A5-A65A-36389DE0C69A-600x338.jpg

You wouldn’t think about doing Covid-19 self-testing any time soon, but the day may have come.

The news that the Food and Drug Administration hadapproved eight antigen Covid-19 test kits for home use came as a relief to everyone, especially now when people are struggling to get access to RT-PCR tests. Bangkok in particular is seeing a sharp increase in demand and, in any case, the RT-PCR tests are simply unable to keep up with the present outbreak.

The availability of rapid antigen test kits should reduce the risk of transmission. The sooner one is aware of having the virus, the faster one can enter isolation and receive treatment, thereby preventing the virus spreading to the community or family members.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-dos-and-donts-when-doing-a-covid-test-at-home/

Logo-top-.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

FB_IMG_1627090223493.jpg

This is different instructions to the kits I bought. Close but not the same so people need to read carefully the instructions supplied with the kits they buy. For example step 2 says inside the nostril, how far? The kit I have states swab to be inserted into the nostril and parallel to the mouth and insert as far as the ear.  It was uncomfortable but didn't hurt. I could imagine some people panicking.

I paid 2000 baht for a set of 5 in Chiang Mai.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

You wouldn’t think about doing Covid-19 self-testing any time soon

Why not.  It's not about demand. The demand has been there for a long while. It's about Thai officialdom placing roadblocks in the way of the public being able to aquire the tests, especially antibody test which the Thailand government absolutely does not want the public to have access to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

This is different instructions to the kits I bought. Close but not the same so people need to read carefully the instructions supplied with the kits they buy. For example step 2 says inside the nostril, how far? The kit I have states swab to be inserted into the nostril and parallel to the mouth and insert as far as the ear.  It was uncomfortable but didn't hurt. I could imagine some people panicking.

Yes this is a general explanation of the test and procedure and is not specific to any particular testing kit.

22 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Seems expensive initially they mentioned availability at under 200 baht each, guess the profiteers are out in full force.

Still not seen them available yet in my Issan area along with a similar scarcity of a vaccine, maybe I need an app or online registration and an appointment at the local pharmacy to buy one.

4 hours ago, sapson said:

Seems expensive initially they mentioned availability at under 200 baht each, guess the profiteers are out in full force.

I had only read around 400 which is what I paid from a "trusted" pharmacy. She warned me a lot of fake kits being sold.

She bundle 5 kits up for 2000.

26 minutes ago, greg71 said:

0.80 euro vs 400 baht 

....and in the UK they hand them out for free each time you go into a pharmacy at the moment.

They did talk of charging for them at some point so that won't last forever.

My guess is that a lot of them will end up being sold internationally as the expiry date is at least a year into the future.

Found a test kit at my local pharmacy but with instructions in Thai only the price 350 baht.

People being turned away from free hospital testing and the average poorly paid or out of work Thai is surely going to choose feeding the family over paying a few hundred baht for a home test kit that should be freely available to Thais at least.

I guess despite statements to the contrary the policy of making testing difficult continues.

14 hours ago, mybeat said:

Can these tests be bought in Pattaya?

Find a pharmacy or two ask for antigen covid test kit, if now available here in Issan albeit overpriced I am sure they will be available in Pattaya.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mybeat said:

Can these tests be bought in Pattaya?

My friend found them in a pharmacy near The Avenue on 2nd Rd, I think next to Tims beer bar 450B. I bought from a pharmacy in Huay Yai 350B. But selling fast

Cheers

• Like 1

Pharmacy near Tim's beer bar is sold out and they don't know when they will get next shipment.

Pharmacy not far from night bazaar had few in stock, but they go fast.

DSC_0867.JPG

Edited by mybeat
typos