Has anyone used asq.in.th to book a Sandbox Hotel package, and can anyone confirm the page info is correct about eligibility requirements / that some of the low prices aren't a scam?

Hi all,

The summary of eligibility requirements is very clear and easy to understand on this page: https://asq.in.th/thailand-sandbox-requirements

Among these details, I especially want to confirm the following:

1) UPDATE (July 6th) Vaccination requirements now also consider the following as fully vaccinated: mixed-dose, single shot J&J, and single shot if you previously had COVID-19.

2) How much does a PCR test cost? A PCR test in Phuket currently costs between THB 2,500 to THB 4,000.

3) The insurance must cover travel, as well as COVID-19. You can get the lowest priced COVID-19 travel insurance here (https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/pricing?age=10&startDate=2021-07-28&endDate=2021-08-26&referenceID=24794034&utm_source=24794034&utm_medium=Ambassador)

4)  We have had reports from travelers running into issues flying with Exempt Entry with some airlines. So please confirm with your airline about their travel polcies to Thailand.

5) https://asq.in.th/sandbox-thailand-hotels/calypso-patong-hotel-sandbox price of 5,600 baht for 14 nights in sandbox? Is this possible? What's the catch, are they going to charge 2,000 baht for a hardboiled egg breakfast every morning?

6) If I book one of these for two people, can my girlfriend who is already in Thailand join me in the SHA+ hotel that I booked after I arrive to the hotel?

I'm asking these particular questions because based on affirmative answers, then it should be possible to do the following:

1) I'd like to get the single shot J&J vaccine.

2) I'd expect to pay 4,000*3 = 12,000 baht for PCR tests during the sandbox.

3) I'd expect to pay 4,033 baht to cover the 45 days + 30 day extension period of the visa-exempt entry + extension (I'm an American citizen).

4) I'd expect that I should have no problem entering Thailand on the visa-exempt entry.

5) I'd expect that I'd pay 5,600 baht for the sandbox hotel.

6) I'd expect that my girlfriend can fly from Bangkok to Phuket to join me (maybe this would double the cost of the hotel to 11,200 baht for 2 persons) during my sandbox experience.

And then (7), I'd expect that maybe I'm paying 4,000 to get ripped off by the taxi that transfers me from the airport to the sandbox hotel, and (8) I'd expect that I get overcharged for food and have to spend about 2,000 baht per day on food.

This would mean my total cost (if including Thai girlfriend who's already in Thailand to stay with me in the Phuket hotel assuming that's possible) would be:

About 50,000 to 60,000 baht total for the sandbox experience with my girlfriend staying with me.

Is this cost estimate about right, and is this a doable method if I use the above site services for getting the insurance and the booking?

Would be super helpful and appreciated if anyone can help confirm these details.

If you go to Royal vacation look at Phuket sandbox hotels when you go to book all of the tests and transfers and cost can be booked at the same time 3000bt for a test 900 for a one way transfer I already had the "Tune" insurance for 90 days 7400 Upscaled room 13500 ????   

1 hour ago, wml22 said:

5) https://asq.in.th/sandbox-thailand-hotels/calypso-patong-hotel-sandbox price of 5,600 baht for 14 nights in sandbox? Is this possible? What's the catch, are they going to charge 2,000 baht for a hardboiled egg breakfast every morning?

I had a quick look at the US Thai Emabssy website https://thaiembdc.org/asq/ and at the list of 'approved hotels but I couldn't see the calypso patong on it?

maybe I'm going blind in my old age ???? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, driver52 said:

I had a quick look at the US Thai Emabssy website https://thaiembdc.org/asq/ and at the list of 'approved hotels but I couldn't see the calypso patong on it?

I think doing a Royal Vacation package like @sammieuk1 linked is a good option since they're making it easy to take care of the requirements at once. Assuming that Royal Vacation is trustworthy.

They're telling me and showing (per attached) that my Thai girlfriend can join me for free. The catch is that she has to be vaccinated to join me. She has received one shot of AstraZeneca and I'm having to wait to see if they can confirm that she's eligible to join without having received her second shot yet.  

screenshot-thai-guest-free.PNG

14 minutes ago, wml22 said:

Assuming that Royal Vacation is trustworthy.

yeah that's what I was wondering with the website you linked ie how do we know for sure it's genuine? and why I tried to find an 'official list' on the Thai Embassy website

Another strange 'ish' thing lol Why do you need 3 x PCR tests? That's twice the cost of the hotel! ????

Edited by driver52

41 minutes ago, driver52 said:

yeah that's what I was wondering with the website you linked ie how do we know for sure it's genuine? and why I tried to find an 'official list' on the Thai Embassy website

Another strange 'ish' thing lol Why do you need 3 x PCR tests? That's twice the cost of the hotel! ????

$100 USD for each test.  That is why you need it!  It is just part of the money grab.  If one is vaccinated there should not be a need for any more testing.  After you leave the hotel, you are just as likely to catch, carry and transmit the virus.  It is not possible to test or monitor the entire population all the time.  But they got you in a hotel so they can test away and charge away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wml22 said:

If the cost is for room only (400 baht per night) the price is credible. That is for a room of less than 20 square metres, which is pretty small. You will not be required to eat in the hotel if the price or quality is not to your liking.

These are indeed real prices, which the hotel published themselves.

But please keep in mind that it would not include any meals, and the room in question is extremely small.

ASQ.in.th will directly connect you to the hotel, and you will pay the hotel directly.

There is no scam here, only direct booking.

Also PCR tests are now paid through here (no longer to the hotel, and the total price should be 8,000 THB for all 3).

Also you can always confirm if the hotel is indeed SHA+ approved by going here, and typing in the hotel name in question. But all hotels listed on ASQ.in.th are either SHA+ approved or AQ's approved by the Ministry of Public Health.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre

On 7/28/2021 at 1:38 AM, driver52 said:

Their list is outdated.

https://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/AQ-SHAphuket-July-6.pdf

Last updated July 6th.

The ASQ.in.th website is regularly updated to match the official SHA+ List (which is updated daily).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To answer all of the questions

This should be possible as long as you were vaccinated 14+ days before arrival.

This is now a flat fee of 8,000 THB for the Phuket sandbox 3 PCR tests

3) I'd expect to pay 4,033 baht to cover the 45 days + 30 day extension period of the visa-exempt entry + extension (I'm an American citizen).
You only need insurance to cover the duration of stay, so if you wanted to use SafetyWing it would only need to cover 45 days.

4) I'd expect that I should have no problem entering Thailand on the visa-exempt entry.
Correct, as an American you get 45 day exempt entry

If you are talking about the cheapest possible hotel then yes.

6) I'd expect that my girlfriend can fly from Bangkok to Phuket to join me (maybe this would double the cost of the hotel to 11,200 baht for 2 persons) during my sandbox experience.
This may not be possible due to domestic travel restrictions, and as for the hotel charges you should ask them. You can make a booking request to initially connect with the hotel, and then ask the question of having your girlfriend join you. Most hotels require you to give them notice before you actually arrive that you will have additional external guests.

(7), I'd expect that maybe I'm paying 4,000 to get ripped off by the taxi that transfers me from the airport to the sandbox hotel,
Usually hotels will offer this service for 800 to 1,200 THB 

(8) I'd expect that I get overcharged for food and have to spend about 2,000 baht per day on food.
You would need to confirm with the hotel.

It may be better to spend a litter more for a bigger hotel room, and some amenities if you plan on having your GF over. It should be well within your budget.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre

16 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

To answer all of the questions

This should be possible as long as you were vaccinated 14+ days before arrival.

This is now a flat fee of 8,000 THB for the Phuket sandbox 3 PCR tests

You only need insurance to cover the duration of stay, so if you wanted to use SafetyWing it would only need to cover 45 days.

Correct, as an American you get 45 day exempt entry

If you are talking about the cheapest possible hotel then yes.

This may not be possible due to domestic travel restrictions, and as for the hotel charges you should ask them. You can make a booking request to initially connect with the hotel, and then ask the question of having your girlfriend join you. Most hotels require you to give them notice before you actually arrive that you will have additional external guests.

(7), I'd expect that maybe I'm paying 4,000 to get ripped off by the taxi that transfers me from the airport to the sandbox hotel,
Usually hotels will offer this service for 800 to 1,200 THB 

(8) I'd expect that I get overcharged for food and have to spend about 2,000 baht per day on food.
You would need to confirm with the hotel.

It may be better to spend a litter more for a bigger hotel room, and some amenities if you plan on having your GF over. It should be well within your budget.

Thank you for all of your thorough and helpful answers.

As things stand now, I booked a nice room at a good discount with SHA+ hotels (confirmed it's present in the official SHA+ list link given in a preceding post). 

I understand that my girlfriend may not be able to visit me (booking dates are Sep 1 - 15th) but I'll keep everything because I'll still go see her on the mainland after the quarantine period ends.

I will contact the first hotel and the second hotel to confirm what I have to do as next / remaining steps now that the airfare is purchased and the hotels are all booked. 

Regarding SafetyWing, I haven't seen this before. My plan actually is to change to a non-o visa based on marriage and then do the 1-year extension before the 45+30 days on the tourist visa have elapsed.

The SafetyWing insurance appears to be a $40/mo subscription plan. I was under the impression that the COE would be denied if the insurance proof didn't show a plan covering the whole duration of my trip (which will show as 43 days since I booked a return flight that I don't plan on using, just to ensure that I'm not denied entry due to lacking a flight out of the country, and since I wasn't sure if Covid would allow for booking a disposable ticket to Cambodia etc. to satisfy that legal requirement of an outgoing flight).

Just to make sure I understand correctly, can you confirm that the $40/mo plan (showcased here: https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance) satisfies the Covid travel insurance requirements for Phuket Sandbox in addition to satisfying the requirements of the non-o marriage visa and 1-year extension, even though it's billed on a month-to-month basis? Or did I misunderstand what you were referring to by SafetyWing?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wml22 said:

Thank you for all of your thorough and helpful answers.

As things stand now, I booked a nice room at a good discount with SHA+ hotels (confirmed it's present in the official SHA+ list link given in a preceding post). 

I understand that my girlfriend may not be able to visit me (booking dates are Sep 1 - 15th) but I'll keep everything because I'll still go see her on the mainland after the quarantine period ends.

I will contact the first hotel and the second hotel to confirm what I have to do as next / remaining steps now that the airfare is purchased and the hotels are all booked. 

Regarding SafetyWing, I haven't seen this before. My plan actually is to change to a non-o visa based on marriage and then do the 1-year extension before the 45+30 days on the tourist visa have elapsed.

The SafetyWing insurance appears to be a $40/mo subscription plan. I was under the impression that the COE would be denied if the insurance proof didn't show a plan covering the whole duration of my trip (which will show as 43 days since I booked a return flight that I don't plan on using, just to ensure that I'm not denied entry due to lacking a flight out of the country, and since I wasn't sure if Covid would allow for booking a disposable ticket to Cambodia etc. to satisfy that legal requirement of an outgoing flight).

Just to make sure I understand correctly, can you confirm that the $40/mo plan (showcased here: https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance) satisfies the Covid travel insurance requirements for Phuket Sandbox in addition to satisfying the requirements of the non-o marriage visa and 1-year extension, even though it's billed on a month-to-month basis? Or did I misunderstand what you were referring to by SafetyWing?

For SafetyWing you would click "specify travel dates" on this page, and choose the exact duration of the policy.

Once your are already in Thailand you should not need this type of insurance anymore for your visa extensions/renewals (unless something changes).

For travelers traveling from countries other than the US it may be smarter to pick up a 5,300 policy that covers 60 days to avoid any issues with insurance from TuneProtect. SafetyWing does not cover asymptomatic cases, and there have been a few reports of the policy not being accepted. The US Thai embassy does indeed accept SafetyWing.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre

10 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

For SafetyWing you would click "specify travel dates" on this page, and choose the exact duration of the policy.

Once your are already in Thailand you should not need this type of insurance anymore for your visa extensions/renewals (unless something changes).

For travelers traveling from countries other than the US it may be smarter to pick up a 5,300 policy that covers 60 days to avoid any issues with insurance from TuneProtect. SafetyWing does not cover asymptomatic cases, and there have been a few reports of the policy not being accepted. The US Thai embassy does indeed accept SafetyWing.

This is actually great news. I had misunderstood the insurance requirements for staying in Thailand under different visa types. So based on what you wrote:

1) I would select (in my case) Aug 30 - Oct 13 as the duration of the policy, and this SafetyWing insurance will fully satisfy all Phuket Sandbox travel+Covid insurance requirements.

2) When applying for a non-o 90 day visa based on marriage, I will not have to show proof of insurance coverage in any form (not even Covid insurance).

3) After receiving the non-o 90 day visa based on marriage, when I then apply for the 1-year extension based on marriage, I will likewise not be required to show any insurance coverage for that application or period of stay.

So when I'm living in Thailand for 16.5 months, it's only during the first 1.5 months while I'm on the tourist visa that I need the insurance. For the remaining 15 months that I'll be there, I won't have to buy any kind of insurance. (It's my understanding that retirement visa holders must have insurance but based on what you wrote, I now understand that this is only required for the retirement visa, not for the marriage visa.)

Edited by wml22