Governor confirms Phuket Sandbox will continue

webfact

5 hours ago, JupiterRising said:

You only need to look at the Bank of Thailand and the World bank figures  and forecasts to see that growth will be as low as -2.5%
yes that is minus.

Thailand has run out of money and is nearly bankrupt. 
That is not BS. That is fact.

This is why they are pushing tourism and money back into the country, as Thailand is basically bankrupt without the worldwide press. Hence the money being pumped into the economy. But that will lead to inflation next year.

I stand by my claims and I stand as a finance expert to show you this post next year when inflation passes nearly 3%

I really dont believe the Country is Bankrupt - Yet !

However, the finances are in a horrible place at the moment.

With the loss of the Tourism stream of about 20 % GDP, and other sectors of the Economy in decline, all in I reckon at least a 30 % GDP decline in revenue stream, and its going to get a whole lot worse..

This Government are desperate to get Money into the Coffers, and will literally sell their Grandmother to get that Money

The realisation that nothing else matters to this self elected Gov,t is now starting to really hit the population of Thailand.

Citizens do not like their Loved ones dying in the Streets, or being refused a Hospital Bed, or possible life saving vaccines.

The Government has squandered Billions of Baht on Toys of War such as APC,s, Drones, Guns, Coastal Patrol vessels Etc the list goes on and on.

A calling to account will come one Day

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mrfill said:

If that is fact, then I'm sure you'll be able to provide a link to the evidence, if any exists.

I doubt it exists Thailand still has around 8 Trillion Baht in foreign Reserves as of May this year. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 8:36 AM, Mickeymaus said:

I see in the original article that there are many criteria.

If there were 90 persons infected per week in Phuket, that would be a criteria for reconsideration of the scheme once it has started, or for any adjustments,” Mr Natapanu said last month.

“Also if all three districts in Phuket are affected, and in that more than six villages are affected, that would be another criteria,” he added.

“If there are COVID cases and there are no linkages found and no contact tracing is possible, that would be another criteria,” Mr Natapanu continued.

“Also, if the hospital bed capacity exceeds 80%, that would be another criteria,” he added.

“If the situation becomes worse in Phuket after the opening of the province on the 1st of July with these particular criteria, then it [the box scheme] would be reconsidered,” Mr Natapanu warned.

I think an underlying, not spoken assumption, for ALL those criteria, was that the speculation that the virus would be introduced by the International Travelers to the Sandbox.

Well that is not the case relatively speaking.

The few numbers of virus cases brought by International travelers have been mostly determined by large numbers of tests on those travelers (in contrast to the local population where relatively few tests have been done).  I suspect MANY more cases in the local population, which will continue to go undetected, without more testing. I think many of those vaccinated in Phuket could have the virus, but given they have minimal to no symptoms (thanks to their Sinovac or AstraZeneca jabs) they see no need to go testing. ie the vaccines could be working.

Why close a sandbox to international travelers, if the visitors to the Sandbox are not the cause of the latest outbreak??    Rather it is the residents ALREADY IN THAILAND that have brought this pandemic back to Phuket.  NOT the International travelers to the Sandbox.

Kudos to the government for recognizing this, and keeping the Sandbox open

The international travelers can decide on their own volition if and when its not prudent to come to Phuket. There is no need at present, IMHO, to close the Sandbox.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mrfill said:

If that is fact, then I'm sure you'll be able to provide a link to the evidence, if any exists.

Certainly.

you only need to google Q2 2021 figures. Kpmg, Reuters, HSBC, will all give similar figures of -2.5% GDP for 2021 in Thailand.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, JupiterRising said:

Certainly.

you only need to google Q2 2021 figures. Kpmg, Reuters, HSBC, will all give similar figures of -2.5% GDP for 2021 in Thailand.

Seems World bank, https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/thailand/publication/thailand-economic-monitor-july-2021-the-road-to-recovery, imf https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2021/06/21/na062121-5-things-to-know-about-thailands-economy-and-covid-19 and others don't agree with you. Those are links btw, a reference to google something is not a link.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

Hi Steven.

thanks for the links.

To start with Thailand’s economy retracted -6.1% in 2020.

source world bank.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.KD.ZG?locations=TH

second,  Bloomberg continues to see reduced GDP and it is only getting worse with forecasts.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/thailand-s-lockdown-like-virus-curbs-dent-economic-recovery-bets-1.1627674.amp.html

So Steven, I have included links for you. The kpmg report of up to -2.6% GDP again this year I am still looking for again.

I hope this has made you happier you have valid links.

regards

ben

20 minutes ago, JupiterRising said:

Hi Steven.

thanks for the links.

To start with Thailand’s economy retracted -6.1% in 2020.

source world bank.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.KD.ZG?locations=TH

second,  Bloomberg continues to see reduced GDP and it is only getting worse with forecasts.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/thailand-s-lockdown-like-virus-curbs-dent-economic-recovery-bets-1.1627674.amp.html

So Steven, I have included links for you. The kpmg report of up to -2.6% GDP again this year I am still looking for again.

I hope this has made you happier you have valid links.

regards

ben

Still waiting for your links of a -2.5% GDP in 2021.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Still waiting for your links of a -2.5% GDP in 2021.

Ryt9.com/en/trsn/251092.

+3.5 to -3.5%

as an aggregate average, this equate to -2.6% in 2021.

But, I am not doing anymore homework for you. You need to start looking for yourself if you are a journalist!!

54 minutes ago, JupiterRising said:

Ryt9.com/en/trsn/251092.

+3.5 to -3.5%

as an aggregate average, this equate to -2.6% in 2021.

But, I am not doing anymore homework for you. You need to start looking for yourself if you are a journalist!!

As happens all too often here, you make claims and can't back them up, with reputable sources indicating your claims are false 

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As happens all too often here, you make claims and can't back them up, with reputable sources indicating your claims are false 

Steven. I have been a commercial manager in IBM for many years and have a masters in accounting and finance. Part of my job is to keep contracts running and looking at the current county’s situation with my contracts. I have contracts worth multi millions and I happily run them each year. I find your responses somewhat small fry, as I love to read daily reports of most countries. Especially Turkey that is also going tits up at the moment.

But hey, you are just a NAME on this forum and have no background knowledge of the person behind it.

I stand by my claim of -2.5 to -2.6% retraction of the economy this year 2021 in Thailand.

regards

Ben

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JupiterRising said:

Steven. I have been a commercial manager in IBM for many years and have a masters in accounting and finance. Part of my job is to keep contracts running and looking at the current county’s situation with my contracts. I have contracts worth multi millions and I happily run them each year. I find your responses somewhat small fry, as I love to read daily reports of most countries. Especially Turkey that is also going tits up at the moment.

But hey, you are just a NAME on this forum and have no background knowledge of the person behind it.

I stand by my claim of -2.5 to -2.6% retraction of the economy this year 2021 in Thailand.

regards

Ben

Good for you to stand by your claim. Now how about those many sources that back up your claim, numerous sources you said. So far you have given 3 links, 2 don't confirm your statement and one contradicts it.

It seems to be your opinion, not a fact as you stated earlier.

Edited by stevenl

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2021 at 12:17 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Are you trying to say that Phuket was Covid free and not one resident was ever infected, until visitors arrived?  Sort of sounds like the rest of the world now doesn't it.  I somehow think your view is tainted and your looking thru rose colored lenses.  It does not take a rocket scientist to see how it can spread easily.  But hey, keep your view and I will keep mine knowing I disagree with you and you with me, common sense of course.

I think there was a misunderstanding man.... Partly my fault because my original post wasn't very clear (or maybe I had misunderstood something else as well).

My only point was that for an outbreak to occur it means more infected people must have come in (locals could have had it of course but if the place was in lockdown the numbers shouldn't have started growing), but I was mainly thinking of Thais going to Phuket hoping to get work thanks to the sandbox.

• Like 2