Currency exchange

Greetings all, swaadee kap,

Can anybody point me in the right direction with regards to if the currency exchange booths are still open at swampy? If not whats the best way to obtain thai bhat if travelling from LHR to BKK? My ASQ hotel doesnt have a exchange service and i doubt they will allow me to make an ATM withdrawal. 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

At last report, some currency exchange booths were open. Possibly best is the SuperRich (Orange) at the Airport Link station.(5:30 am to 8:30 pm).

Arriving for an ASQ stay in a Bangkok hotel, I doubt that there is any chance to wander around for an ATM or exchange booth?

Cash is king. However difficult it might be, but someone will either accept your Pounds for payment or go for an exchange.

Where you stay in the UK?

I would surely try to buy some Baht cash ahead of travel day.

Bad rate but what can you do.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jay2013 said:

Do the currency booths at heathrow give thai bhat? 

If you feel you must get Thai baht before departure, one possibility is to do it through your bank, giving them plenty of prior notice. Expect an horrific exchange rate. These days, like almost everything else, you can actually buy foreign currency online. See https://www.compareholidaymoney.com/buy-currency/thai-baht.php to get started.

• Like 1

Friends of mine, unexperienced travellers, came to Asia for the first time two years ago. Against my advice, they asked their German bank for changing some Euros into cash of Asian currencies. In the end, the bank could deliver Thai Baht and Vietnamese Dong, but deeply regretted that there is no chance to get Cambodian Riel... Bad exchange rate. But it works with THB. Will take some days.

Use your ATM card.  Depending on your account it may not have fees or the fees may be negligible.

I didn't see any open but this was 3 months ago.  

Edited by MrJ2U

I stay firm: don't go with sufficient cash (Pound)!

ATM card might or might not work.

Aside from availability of an ATM you have a small risk that your bank blocks Thailand by default (read some stories here).

I saw a video blog of an ASQ traveler leaving his transport (van) at the hotel and there were two or three ATMs at the entrance or in the hall (no quite clear).

Check again with the hotel.

Would you like to name the hotel?

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Could always give your ASQ staff your card to make an ATM withdrawal for you...

Promise a good tip :biggrin:

Assuming that there is a useful limit for withdrawal per day on the card.

Also scratch off the 3 digit code on the back (after noting it).

Just in case.

Edited by KhunBENQ