Thailand reports daily record of 16,533 new coronavirus cases

webfact

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Starting from tomorrow at 9am, the following groups of people can register with their phone operators for a vaccination appointment at Bang Sue Grand Station:

Aged 18+

Aged 60+ and those with 7 underlying conditions It is not known yet if foreigners can take part.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1420210732818341890

As I indicated in my post above from what I saw on the news at this point it appears to be for Thai's only which is very frustrating.  Been trying to get the GF vaccinated but they keep on telling her she is to young and she is not Thai.  In a holding pattern until she can get into our hospital for an MRNA vaccination when they open it up to registering.  Was told August sometime.

In the lead picture to this story where the technician is COVID testing the patient, the fan is blowing the wrong way.  Why would you ever do COVID testing and let all of the air from the patients blow all over you.  Maybe switch things around and blow the air outwards.  Bless us all

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

vaccines do work, but not in reducing infections. vaccines are good for preventing hard symptoms.

Wrong. It does both. But it's a numbers game. No vaccine is 100% in preventing infection. Which no one claims either. Even if it's 90%, 100 out of 1000 vaccinated will get infected.

And the reason that vaccines reduce infections and prevent severe symptoms in case of infection is the same: the body's resistance to the virus is enhanced.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Starting from tomorrow at 9am, the following groups of people can register with their phone operators for a vaccination appointment at Bang Sue Grand Station:

Aged 18+

Aged 60+ and those with 7 underlying conditions It is not known yet if foreigners can take part.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1420210732818341890

That's when overcrowding problems start. 

Only a few days left for walk-ins at the Bang Sue Grand Station vaccination centre. Starting from 1st August it is by appointment only. Many people have said they don’t trust the registration system and want to try their luck #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1420222397886590978

4 minutes ago, James105 said:

They are all wearing masks and nobody is drinking alcohol so this is perfectly safe and responsible behaviour.    How can they possibly catch corona if everyone is wearing a mask?   

Single mask protection is not adequate and pretty sure a very few were using two mask protection.

• Like 1

Health Officials Can't Agree Whether Thailand Has Enough Medical Oxygen

Thailand health officials contradicted each other Tuesday over how much medical oxygen Thailand has to combat the epidemic. 

Somsak Akksilp director general of the Medical Services Dept said shortage of oxygen for treating covid 19 patients is becoming an increasing problem.

https://bangkokherald.com/featured/health-officials-cant-agree-whether-thailand-has-enough-medical-oxygen-amid-illegal-tank-smuggling/

• Like 1

Can anyone post a link which shows the latest vaccinations per day data for Thailand?  I have the link below from Reuters, but it may be a week or so old. Things may have accelerated since then:

"During the last week reported, Thailand averaged about 229,585 doses administered each day."

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/thailand/

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

What is 0.004.......%?

Lol. Sure, I'll help you with this.

I am using the 500,000 annual excess deaths claim made by another poster. I did not fact check that claim. I am further assuming that 100% of excess deaths are caused by Covid-19. I am using 127 million as the population of Mexico per my quick Google search.

So we have 500,000/127,000,000 = 0.004 (rounded).

What does that mean? The 'catastrophic' hit to Mexico's population (his words, not mine) amounted to less than one half of one percent of Mexico's population before even considering population growth. Since you asked for that in percentage terms, that would be ~0.4%.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

my conclusions after 15 months of observing and studying the corona situation are two:

1. lockdowns do not work, because you cannot lock the whole country forever, lockdowns are

only good for helping the system to gain time and to organise.

2. vaccines do work, but not in reducing infections. vaccines are good for preventing hard symptoms.

3. thailand should look at mexico and do as mexico did. open all country NOW and accept 20-40 thousands covid deaths a year, until full vaccinations.

otherwise, the death toll from broken ecobomy will be much higher.

Interesting to note the two people who have liked your post so far. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Misty said:

Can anyone post a link which shows the latest vaccinations per day data for Thailand?  I have the link below from Reuters, but it may be a week or so old. Things may have accelerated since then:

"During the last week reported, Thailand averaged about 229,585 doses administered each day."

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/thailand/

The weekend and holiday rates usually are around 100K per day. The normal weekday rates typically are mid-200Ks up to over 300K, depending.

There's consistently a BIG difference between the weekday numbers and the weekend numbers.  The fall off of the weekend numbers brings down what otherwise would be a higher daily average.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Would you trade a million deaths in exchange for dropping all restrictions? 

A million in a population the size of Thailand is a little steep. I try and keep it within 1% of beginning pop.

Change that number to 700,000 and my response would be "hell yes, where do I sign?"

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Misty said:

From yesterday's update:

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1419915913021722628

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Misty said:

And if you or someone you really care about is one of those deaths, is it still "hell yes, where do I sign" ?

Yes. If I end up dying from Covid, assuming that the math at that time is the same as now, my opinion on the situation will be identical.

This isn't an appropriate audience for this debate, but proper governance ought to be cognizant of scale, even if that means that they have to be agnostic about personal tragedies. It is possible to feel bad for every death that occurs, while understanding that (implicitly) allowing those deaths to occur might nevertheless be the best way forward.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1