Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Doctors ask US Embassy in Bangkok to help with transparency over Pfizer vaccine donation

webfact

If you are taking a vaccine do it in your own country I did wouldnt trust thailand unless maybe a private hospital i couldnt get one there so i went home.

The donation will probably sold off a couple of times TIT or switched for sinovac eventually

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

He has to follow state department guide which tells US expats worldwide to "depend on local resources". I too am mightily <deleted> off and disgusted with US leaving us to twist in the wind. State Dept is part of executive branch. The buck stops with Biden, whom I voted for. Face it, we don't matter. We are expendable.

US won't demand accountability. CDC head said all those donations are made "with no strings attached"...

I heard Biden say "no strings attached". No doubt he meant that US was not demanding quid pro quo in contrast to policy of Belt & Road. He should have been more explicit, since in a lot of corrupt countries that was no doubt read as invitation to "do as you please with our donation".

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Still living in denial about the embassy, are we? Or maybe you have some evidence to indict the embassy staff? Please, share with us what you think it has the authority to do. And while you're at it, please let us know the content of any communications between embassy staff and higher-ups at the State Dept. 

It would be great for Congress to investigate this debacle, go through the "priority" cables between Bangkok and Foggy Bottom adminstered by Blinkin', also what "info" was fed to White House.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

This is not good.  In essence a Thai National is asking a foreign government to get involved in the Internal Affairs of this  country.  The Vaccine Donation was supposedly made without conditions?  At this point: "Just get the dam shots in arms, any arms".   

I believe the 20% to foreigners was a either a suggestion or a recommendation?  In that case "thank you America and stay out of our internal affairs"?  

The presumption is that donated vaccines will be used ethically, administered to medical priority groups. When that seems not to be happening, it is not unreasonable for the donor to become involved.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Of course it will happen.

But what the Doctors have said will be heard by the US, and any further Donations will not be coming forward.

And once the US curtails its Vaccine gifts to Thailand, the rest of the civilized World will follow suit.

If Thailand does carve off Vaccines from this Donation, they will have reached an all time low.

In addition, if Thailand robs deliveries from neighbouring countries like Indonesia and Malaysia that are experiencing worse waves than Thailand, we can probably say goodbye to any further donations from anywhere except other corrupt, authoritarian countries like China and Russia. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Who wrote this?

"Granted, he's just an empty suit, because there is no real ambassador here who might have influence back in the US. That is where your so-called "authority" comes in. Presidents and State Departments listen to the people they appoint. Heath is just a functionary. "

Just a functionary who seems to suffer from Marie Antoinette syndrome.

• Like 1

This was the most recent allocation I saw, from 21 July. Donation was announced around 6 July, vaccines due tomorrow, 29 July.

I think this gathering at the U.S. Embassy was covering the first line item.

150,000 doses were agreed to (between the U.S. and Thailand during lengthy negotiations) go to Foreigners in Thailand, elderly and (/or?) with underlying conditions.

The regime claims they've ordered 20 mm doses of Pfizer, and they've made grandiose claims on when those would be delivered.

E7PNGk4XsAQV8la.jpg

Edited by mtls2005

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

The US always shoots itself in the foot. It and the UK still look like to giant vaccine pigs, hoarding massive amounts of the most effective vaccine until it expires and must be discarded.  Wait till that image goes around the world: Americans throwing vaccine into the dumpster rather than sharing it through trusted agencies or their own embassies.

The US is donating 500 million doses to 3rd world countries, 200 million this year and 300 million in 2022. They also challenged the G7 countries to match the pledge. You may want to read up on it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The doctors don't understand.  The vaccines are a gift from the US to the Thai government, not to the Thai people or Thai doctors.  The US will hope to get some kind of benefit from capitulating so readily to the government's requests that there should be no conditions.

Many think you are stupid and naive but I know better you were just stirring the pot being sarcastic!????

These position are rarely handed out due to knowledge or experience sadly in general it is who you know and the A-- you kiss and will continue to kiss!  The is the bad thing about the U.S. when it comes to government in ones personal life you would never help someone provide a handout like it was Halloween candy this is our diplomatic thinking not only in Thailand but around the world.

I wish I knew about the event I would gladly have come and given my two cents and more to add with the Doctor!  What is forgotten the U.S. has also given 20 million in cash, another 40 million in PPE supplies yet again with no oversight!  Everyone knew this was going to happen the difference we poster here don't need to be diplomatic!

• Like 1

Remember Bob Geldof's "We are the World" campaign.  Concerts held, money raised.  Money sent to Africa to buy and distribute food to those in need.... 

Didn't work out the way it was planned.  

America is doing similar, trusting their vaccines will get to those in need.  

At this point we can only watch and wait. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

Face it, we don't matter. We are expendable.

Bit too emotive, but fairly close to accurate, IMO.

Routine, administrative support is the baseline expectation. 

Edited by 55Jay

18 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Many think you are stupid and naive but I know better you were just stirring the pot being sarcastic!????

I think so als and imo the doctors are also stirring the pot.

I am sure they also stirred the bottom and some one may over heat!

I say let it boil over.

Edited by jvs

"The US has stated that it should be used to vaccinate front line health workers as third booster doses and then go to older people, those with health complications and those seeking to study abroad. 

Dr Nat pointed out that 800 medical professionals had been infected with Covid after getting two doses of sub-standard vaccine."

What is the sub-standard vaccine called? Sinovac?

28 minutes ago, thaisail said:

Dr Nat pointed out that 800 medical professionals had been infected with Covid after getting two doses of sub-standard vaccine."

What is the sub-standard vaccine called? Sinovac?

Hundreds of Thais inoculated with Sinovac are infected as cases spike in Southeast Asia

July 12, 2021 at 5:11 a.m. EDT

More than 600 Thai medical workers who were fully inoculated with the Sinovac vaccine were infected by the coronavirus, which is now raging through Southeast Asia.

The 618 cases were among the 677,348 medical staff who had received two doses of the Chinese-developed coronavirus vaccine between April to July, government data show. Among those infected are a nurse who died and a health-care worker in critical condition

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/12/coronavirus-latest-updates/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The doctors don't understand.  The vaccines are a gift from the US to the Thai government, not to the Thai people or Thai doctors.  The US will hope to get some kind of benefit from capitulating so readily to the government's requests that there should be no conditions.

This is not a gift to the corrupt Thai and incompetent government it is a gift to the Thai people with purpose????