Motorcycle Trikes in Thailand...

I know you see 1000s of three wheeled motorcycles on the road here but I have just been told by Thailand Harley Davidson that it is ILLEGAL to own a Harley Trike so I can't get one from them or have one shipped from Australia. ???? Can someone fact check this for me? I can't find anything about this...  Thanks! 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Years ago I used to occasionally see 'big bike trikes' at bike events around the country. There's a lot of talented Thais around that can whip up some good looking custom jobs, not just Harleys but Goldwings, VW's etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Outbackoz said:

It may be worthwhile to contact Ozimoto and see if they can help you info wise as they have obviously been through the process with DLT to meet compliance and register their vehicles on the road here . I have attached their Facebook link which contains there contact info. Importation may be another issue given the change in regulations  with respect to  the importation of used motor vehicles.    MM... always thought a tuk tuk was a tricycle!  

https://www.facebook.com/ozimoto

Thanks so much! I am speaking with them now. I just may buy one of their Trikes! 

When I lived in Pattaya, I was a regular customer of Ozimoto. Great company. I got stopped nine times by the Police. All my papers were in order. I was stopped because it was a trike. On the last visit to the Police, I asked to see the senior man in charge. He came out and saw the trike. Go to the car/bike registry place, he said. I did. They looked at me as if I was mad asking for a trike's legality on the road. So the answer I got was a loud No!! This was a couple of years ago. Maybe it's changed. I now have a saleng. They too, are illegal!! To have it MOT'd, I have to take the saleng off. 

1 hour ago, Giving it a Go said:

When I lived in Pattaya, I was a regular customer of Ozimoto. Great company. I got stopped nine times by the Police. All my papers were in order. I was stopped because it was a trike. On the last visit to the Police, I asked to see the senior man in charge. He came out and saw the trike. Go to the car/bike registry place, he said. I did. They looked at me as if I was mad asking for a trike's legality on the road. So the answer I got was a loud No!! This was a couple of years ago. Maybe it's changed. I now have a saleng. They too, are illegal!! To have it MOT'd, I have to take the saleng off. 

it is not legal to modify a motorbike / scooter or car for that matter, once it has left the factory ....

OK, so you an't going to get into trouble for changing the mirrors, but converting it to a trike or adding a side car will make you an easy target for the Police to keep stopping / fining you...... Also if you buy one of these said vehicles, the Transport department, when they inspect for a name change / MOT won't want to know ....

Your money - your choice ......

22 hours ago, Outbackoz said:

It may be worthwhile to contact Ozimoto and see if they can help you info wise as they have obviously been through the process with DLT to meet compliance and register their vehicles on the road here . I have attached their Facebook link which contains there contact info. Importation may be another issue given the change in regulations  with respect to  the importation of used motor vehicles.    MM... always thought a tuk tuk was a tricycle!  

https://www.facebook.com/ozimoto

I contacted them last month they said they are only road legal for people registered as disabled

8 hours ago, Giving it a Go said:

I got stopped nine times by the Police. All my papers were in order. I was stopped because it was a trike.

I used to have a 1943 45 cube Harley 3-wheeler that I was restoring back in the UK and was often stopped by the police because it was a curiosity. Because it wasn't a two-wheeler I didn't need to wear a helmet and because it wasn't a 3-wheeled car it didn't have to have seat belts either.

I wrote to the Ministry of Transport enquiring about the need for a helmet or seatbelts and they replied to my questions on nice embossed headed paper. So whenever a copper started scratching his head in puzzlement or eyed me up suspiciously, I'd just whip out my letter and let them read it.

????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve sent email to HD BKK to see what they say...  I had a HD w/sidecar in California.. oddly if you

hsve side car you don’t need a motorcycle license regular vehicle licenses is valid for MC w/sidecar

014EBBEC-D750-438D-B901-214A450C6C35.jpeg

How about something like (in no particular order) the Yamaha Tricity, Gilera Fuoco 500,  Can-Am Ryker, Polaris Slingshot.

I'm not a fan of trykes in general but if forced to I'd take dual front single rear over the traditional tryke configuration.

Just stability and the fact I don't want to go to any more funerals of traditional tryke riders.

Just saying.

Have fun with your investigations and choices.

Ozimoto says that you must first register with the LTO as a "disabled" person. Must have a letter from a Dr saying you cannot ride a motorcycle due to a disability. Then you can legally drive one... I will have to go and have a chat with a supervisor at LTO in Chiang Mai and see what he says. If he says "no" than I will have to go higher up the chain until I get a "yes"...

• Thumbs Up 1

Honda Big wing Hua Hin brought in 3 trike kits from a company in America and did the conversion on 3 Goldwings.  About 10 months ago. They looked good. I was expecting them to go on display in the show room. But they disappeared after completion.  

I have had a phantom trike for over 7 years, converted here in Thailand, and although I can not register it I have never been stopped. I have been through many a booze stop and just waved through, I still ride it nearly every day.

On 7/30/2021 at 1:55 PM, canthai55 said:

Wonder how many people on this thread have ever rode a trike

I'll bet not many - if any

I have...couple of mates used to race them. They were eventually banned in the UK

Trike (Medium).jpg

31 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I have...couple of mates used to race them. They were eventually banned in the UK

I was thinking of a street bike based trike. They are horrible to ride. Can't lean into corners. Cook into a corner and a high side is guaranteed.

Or a bike with a side car.

These ones are a new variation on an older design.

https://www.diamonado.com/

lean.jpg

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1