Staying abroad, change your mobile phone, how to keep the Thai bank apps working?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good question, i changed my phone 6 months ago and can't remember needing to go to an ATM for the Kasikorn app install

The last two times I changed my phone, I didn't need to go to the ATM. It could all be completed from within the app on the new phone. I do remember that I had needed to go to the ATM to change phones previously though.

• Thanks 1

I haven't read the entire thread...apologies if this has been mentioned.

All three service providers offer international roaming. This must be enabled.

All three service providers offer WiFi Calling. You must register for this and install the app.

Both have worked for me, circa Dec. 2019, while traveling outside of Thailand, re: sending/receiving personal SMSs and voice calls. I have NEVER tried online banking remotely outside of Thailand.

WiFi calling works anywhere in the world where you have a WiFi access, and duplicates your in-country plan and rates.

Maintaining expiry? Many threads on that. Many options.

For me, with both Bangkok Bank and SCB, I had to make in in person branch visit to change my contact mobile phone number. At BBL the process was quite exhaustive, with many, many, many copies, and more signatures. See some references to the ability to change this at an ATM, but that may require a 13 digit Thai ID number?

Hey, I noticed that the original poster specifically wanted advice about the mobile app (not internet banking) when changing phones. I've only ever used Bangkok Bank and I have only installed it on a mobile phone that has the same SIM as the one registered with the bank. I think that you could install on a different device provided you have the registered number SIM working to receive the one time password (OTP). 

47 minutes ago, jadee said:

I think that you could install on a different device provided you have the registered number SIM working to receive the one time password (OTP). 

Yes, I can confirm that it is possible to change to a new phone. 

No clue if the OTP could be relayed from the "old" phone with the original SIM? I think so.

49 minutes ago, jadee said:

Hey, I noticed that the original poster specifically wanted advice about the mobile app (not internet banking) when changing phones.

Yes, I tried to keep my reply generic, applying to both the web and app versions.

But you do raise a good point. Can either the app or web be used outside of Thailand, when considering IP/geo=loc issues? And whether a Thai VPN would overcame these?

With the BBL app you can add payees, most (insurance, credit card, internet, mobile, rental, utilities etc.) are already in their system, just pop in the account no.. Then you can check the amount due and pay it. No need for screenshots. I would think all major bank's mobile apps have a similar feature?

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can either the app or web be used outside of Thailand, when considering IP/geo=loc issues? And whether a Thai VPN would overcame these?

Yes, no problems using apps and Internet banking outside of Thailand. Think I got the Kasikorn app back in 2012, before that I used to log on via browser on computers. 

When installing the Kasikorn app, as anyone tried switching mobile data to their Thai SIM? I was led to believe that I wouldn’t be able to install the TTB app in the UK. By following the steps below I was able to accomplish this. Rather than being in range of a Thai mobile mast, the key was having my Thai SIM as the data source. It might just work for some of the other problematic Thai banking apps.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:49 PM, ClaytonSeymour said:

This isn't entirely correct. Here is my experience which may help others in a similar scenario, I suspect it may also help with some other Thai Banking apps.

Thanks to Covid-19, the wife & I haven't been in Thailand for over two years.

1. Letter was sent to in-laws re: the merger & new bank account details.

2. Photos of letter iMessaged to me here in the UK.

3. Wife assisted with translation as it was all in Thai. Letter confirms merger & provides new bank account details & the steps you need to take.

4. Downloaded TTB app on to my iPhone.

5. Opened the app & followed the steps to set it up. It gives you the option of activation code or, debit/credit card.

6. It asks you to disconnect Wi-Fi & use mobile data for verification.

7. This is where you need a workaround. I use a dual SIM iPhone so, I turned off Wi-Fi & connected to mobile data via my primary UK eSIM. This doesn't work & the process will continuously fail.

8. Workaround (it costs money). I subscribed to a 15 day data roaming package (961.93 Baht inc VAT) on my DTAC secondary SIM. I then enabled data roaming on secondary & switched my mobile data to secondary.

9. I was then able to repeat the process successfully, followed the subsequent steps (needed my Thanachart ATM card as part of the verification process) & the app was soon up & running.

Obviously, once we get back to Thailand, I'll still need to visit a TTB branch to obtain a TTB bank book etc.

On a side note, the merger actually worked out well for me as previously, whilst swapping out my DTAC SIM for a Korean one, I'd managed to lock myself out of the Thanachart app (I could still access my account via internet banking), which would have required a visit to a Thanachart Branch/ATM to reset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ClaytonSeymour said:

When installing the Kasikorn app, as anyone tried switching mobile data to their Thai SIM? I was led to believe that I wouldn’t be able to install the TTB app in the UK. By following the steps below I was able to accomplish this. Rather than being in range of a Thai mobile mast, the key was having my Thai SIM as the data source. It might just work for some of the other problematic Thai banking apps.

Yes I have tried that previously on installing the Kasikorn app overseas. But since the Thai sim is on a roaming network it want accept that. 

But according to your experience than we have another thumbs up for the new merged bank TTB ???? 

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'd expect the app to still work but you installed the app on a new device?

No, but I can not see how that should make any difference. 

Edited by kuzie57

1 hour ago, kuzie57 said:

when you install the app on a new device they will probably send you a OTP code via sim roaming , that seems to cause the problem not that the internet data is Thailand or foreign

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kuzie57 said:

Eh, yes... this topic is about getting bank apps up an running on a new device when you are overseas. Using the apps overseas is not a problem on local networks or wifi....

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

when you install the app on a new device they will probably send you a OTP code via sim roaming , that seems to cause the problem not that the internet data is Thailand or foreign

Wrong. If they only required a OTP code then it would be no problem at all. Some bank apps need to be on a Thai mobile network to set them up the first time on your device. Roaming network overseas, no can do....

On 7/28/2021 at 11:01 PM, Barley said:

It is important to know, that AIS seems to have international roaming activated by default. 

My statement above was probably not correct. 

One needs to dial *125*1# to activate international roaming on AIS before leaving Thailand. 

You can activate roaming when already abroad. It is not absolutely necessary to do before you leave. 

*125*1#  uses the USSD protocol which rides on the GSM network and not the data network

Just a couple of tech nerd facts that may be of interest

On 8/10/2021 at 9:31 PM, ianguygil said:

You can activate roaming when already abroad. It is not absolutely necessary to do before you leave. 

*125*1#  uses the USSD protocol which rides on the GSM network and not the data network

Just a couple of tech nerd facts that may be of interest

You forgot to tell which operator you use? I use DTAC and and in their app you can activate/deactivate roaming/data/international call. 

2 hours ago, Namplik said:

You forgot to tell which operator you use? I use DTAC and and in their app you can activate/deactivate roaming/data/international call. 

I use all 3 major operators. I have a lot of phones like I said. I did it in May/June from the US on both AIS and DTAC when I went back to get my family and me vaccinated

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, ianguygil said:

We also use a high end App Wrapper to inspect your phone for nasty software. 

Is this effectively what triggers the refusal if it detects a rooted phone?

I think I understand the reasons for rejecting as a security risk but it really does take away freedom of choice and arguably people not using Play Store apps could be safer than the herd...........

I know it's not going to change but interested in an "insiders" view :thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, ianguygil said:

If you root or you jailbreak your phone you effectively have no security. The App Wrapper does many things, protecting from actual attacks but also inspecting the device.

You have the freedom to do whatever you want except to use the services provided by commercial companies if we feel that the risk is not acceptable. For example, the simplest example would be on a keyboard recorder which records everything you type into your phone, emails, messages, PIN's etc. These often can be "hidden" in 3rd party keyboards which are downloaded (actually this is why in the past we shrink wrap the keyboard into the App. 

The whole "freedom" thing seems to be misunderstood, especially in the USA. The 1st Amendment was about the Government, not companies or people. We and all banks have terms of service which clearly setout what is and what is not acceptable behavior. I am not pointing this at you, just saying that in order to protect people and to offer services at an acceptable and controllable level of risk, we need to be able to say when we will and when we will not allow a customer to connect. If we see you coming in from a MAC (Ethernet address) address which has been used for fraud elsewhere similarly we will block you or we will ask for more authentication. This is yet another layer outside of the App Wrapper.

Hope this helps

Good to get your insight ????

Thanks for the feedback.

11 hours ago, ianguygil said:

For example, the simplest example would be on a keyboard recorder which records everything you type into your phone, emails, messages, PIN's etc. These often can be "hidden" in 3rd party keyboards which are downloaded

I appreciate it is a simple example but Google's PlayStore has had more than a few instances in the past where considerable numbers of certified apps have been found to contain "unexpected" bonus coding ????

To be clear my issue is not with the banks but Google locking down more and more a supposedly open system in the name of security which just happens to also protect their revenue stream - just like Apple who however don't try to hide that.

Are apps generally more secure than browsers and if so would the banks like to migrate everyone eventually to apps?  

• 1 month later...

Having just purchased a new iPhone, I’d like to post an update to this topic. Krungsri banking app now requires a mobile data connection via a Thai SIM card in order to transfer it to a new device.

The TTB banking app, as per setting up from new, also requires this to transfer the app to your new device.

My wife banks with Krung Thai, this app simply transferred over during the quick, iPhone to iPhone transfer & she was able to log straight in - even before she’d swapped the Thai SIM card over to her new phone.

Slightly off topic, I also had the Krungsri @ccess Mobile  app (mutual funds) on my old device. Currently this is lost, as the app just shuts down, the moment I attempt to open it on my new device.

• Like 1