Staying abroad, change your mobile phone, how to keep the Thai bank apps working?

40 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

if your sim card can receive SMS while you are outside thailand, than you can set up

any bank app no problem.

and of course, your thai phone no. has to be registered with the thai bank.

than the bank send SMS to confirm your number,and the app can be approved.

I’m afraid you are very wrong. Many of the Thai banking apps now ask you to disconnect Wi-Fi & use Mobile Data - the ability to receive an SMS is irrelevant. In the case of Kasikorn, it has been suggested that even mobile data via a Thai SIM won’t work - you have to be in range of a Thai mobile mast. 

I can assure you that, outside of Thailand, you simply cannot register on the TTB app without using mobile data on the Thai SIM. 

Last year,my iPhone XS Max simply died. This was replaced by Apple & I was able to install & logon to the Krungsri app without any problem. Roll the clock forward one year & even with my old device at hand, I was unable to use the Krungsri app on my new device, without subscribing to a DTAC international roaming package.

The request on both the TTB & Krungsri apps are explicit; please turn off Wi-Fi & connect to mobile data. Unless you connect to mobile data with your Thai SIM it simply does not work.

• Thanks 1

I have just found the same thing, I can no longer use the KrungThai app using wifi, it must have mobile data.

Also Bangkok bank have decided my tablet is rooted - this is a new thing and is untrue.

However both banks web pages work with no problems.

1 hour ago, ClaytonSeymour said:

without subscribing to a DTAC international roaming package

yes you need international roaming. wifi has nothing to do with it.

the roaming SMS is free to get (only calls are expensive).

so all you need is a valid thai sim card.

you can pay for one year validity . AIS is 290 baht. TRUE 700 baht.

28 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

yes you need international roaming. wifi has nothing to do with it.

the roaming SMS is free to get (only calls are expensive).

so all you need is a valid thai sim card.

you can pay for one year validity . AIS is 290 baht. TRUE 700 baht.

You need more than an international roaming SIM. The ability to receive/send SMS & make/receive calls is insufficient. You have to use your Thai SIM as the source of your data whether that be 3G, 4G or, 5G.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, briley said:

I have just found the same thing, I can no longer use the KrungThai app using wifi, it must have mobile data.

Also Bangkok bank have decided my tablet is rooted - this is a new thing and is untrue.

However both banks web pages work with no problems.

Well that contradicts my wife's experience as she was able to transfer the Krung Thai app between iPhones's via Apple quick start & login over WiFi - no OTP codes etc.  which was how Krungsri used to be. She actually called them a week or so ago & they said that this would be the case.

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

no you don't. you only need to get SMS

No that is simply incorrect. If you disbelieve me then download the TTB app , it will ask you if you wish to register via activation code (this comes from the app on your old phone) or, debit card (you also need your account no & ID/Passport no). After you make your selection it then asks you to disconnect WiFi & use mobile data - that mobile data must come from the SIM card associated with the phone number with which you registered your account ie your Thai SIM card. The Krungsri app now makes the same request when transferring to a new phone - activation code/debit card not required, only account no. & ID/Passport No. There is no option on either of these apps to use SMS.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ClaytonSeymour said:

No that is simply incorrect. If you disbelieve me then download the TTB app , it will ask you if you wish to register via activation code (this comes from the app on your old phone) or, debit card (you also need your account no & ID/Passport no). After you make your selection it then asks you to disconnect WiFi & use mobile data - that mobile data must come from the SIM card associated with the phone number with which you registered your account ie your Thai SIM card. The Krungsri app now makes the same request when transferring to a new phone - activation code/debit card not required, only account no. & ID/Passport No. There is no option on either of these apps to use SMS.

to be honest, i never use the app. only website. safer.

• Haha 1

the thai phone number will be lost if not load with credit after three months.

if you find a way to load your sim with credit, even 20 baht, the number will be saved.

to solve this problem, you have three options:

1. pay a thai friend to load the sim card with money, this can be done in any 7/11 shop without you having to be present.

2. pay TRUE 700 baht to keep your number for a year, even if no money load (this

amount cannot be used for calls).

3. pay AIS 290 baht for the same deal, keeping your number for a year. in this case you can

use the credit for calls. but i am not sure this is accurate,only advice i got from their saleswoman.

another option might be that you can charge your phone from abraod while using

your thai bank or thai payment app, if they will work while you are abroad.

On 10/10/2021 at 5:45 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i am also correct - using the app is a complete waste of time.

Have you read the title of this thread? May I politely suggest that should you wish to discuss the merits of web based banking v banking apps, you start a new thread.

Your comments are adding nothing to the topic.

• Thanks 1

I’d like to add another update to this thread. Last night, when logging on to the ttb touch application, I was greeted with the messages below.

ttb is requesting you to review and update your personal information to comply with the applicable laws and regulations related to banking business.

If you not review before 08 November 2021, you will not be able to use ttb touch. 

I decided that I would do this right away, unfortunately, it could only be done between something like 08:20 to 22:55 (I don’t recall the exact times).

So, I have just tried again about an hour ago. Basically most of it was pre-populated with my existing details - including an incorrect month of birth - March instead of May! (this will have to be resolved when I get back to a branch in Thailand as unable to edit) The bit they wanted me to fill in was my monthly earnings, source of income, country where income originated, job role & employer.

Anyhow, at the end of all this I attempted to submit my updated details, only to be informed that there had been an unexpected technical error. Not to worry - my data was safe & their engineers had been informed. Tried another couple of times with the same result, although the form has retained the information I entered.

Now, whilst I wasn’t asked to connect to mobile data, I’m actually wondering if the fact I was using Wi-Fi, rather than data from my Thai SIM card, was the cause of the error.

I will try again tomorrow & if that fails, I’ll see if this can be resolved via internet banking. Failing that, I guess it will be another 961.93 Baht for a DTAC data roaming package.

I will update in due course.

On 10/10/2021 at 11:53 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

the thai phone number will be lost if not load with credit after three months.

if you find a way to load your sim with credit, even 20 baht, the number will be saved.

to solve this problem, you have three options:

1. pay a thai friend to load the sim card with money, this can be done in any 7/11 shop without you having to be present.

2. pay TRUE 700 baht to keep your number for a year, even if no money load (this

amount cannot be used for calls).

3. pay AIS 290 baht for the same deal, keeping your number for a year. in this case you can

use the credit for calls. but i am not sure this is accurate,only advice i got from their saleswoman.

another option might be that you can charge your phone from abraod while using

your thai bank or thai payment app, if they will work while you are abroad.

No it doesn't. When you put in credit the valid to date extends by 30 days. So, back a few years now, I did multiple top ups of 20 baht each until I reached the maximum valid to date of 12 months. 

By using Kasikorn , even inside Thailand setting up a new phone or sim you need to put of WiFi  , and use mobile connection to do that  , after registering you can use WiFi in Thailand again ,

i do not know if outside Thailand is possible to use KK. by WiFi....

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 4:08 PM, ClaytonSeymour said:

I’d like to add another update to this thread. Last night, when logging on to the ttb touch application, I was greeted with the messages below.

ttb is requesting you to review and update your personal information to comply with the applicable laws and regulations related to banking business.

If you not review before 08 November 2021, you will not be able to use ttb touch. 

I decided that I would do this right away, unfortunately, it could only be done between something like 08:20 to 22:55 (I don’t recall the exact times).

So, I have just tried again about an hour ago. Basically most of it was pre-populated with my existing details - including an incorrect month of birth - March instead of May! (this will have to be resolved when I get back to a branch in Thailand as unable to edit) The bit they wanted me to fill in was my monthly earnings, source of income, country where income originated, job role & employer.

Anyhow, at the end of all this I attempted to submit my updated details, only to be informed that there had been an unexpected technical error. Not to worry - my data was safe & their engineers had been informed. Tried another couple of times with the same result, although the form has retained the information I entered.

Now, whilst I wasn’t asked to connect to mobile data, I’m actually wondering if the fact I was using Wi-Fi, rather than data from my Thai SIM card, was the cause of the error.

I will try again tomorrow & if that fails, I’ll see if this can be resolved via internet banking. Failing that, I guess it will be another 961.93 Baht for a DTAC data roaming package.

Update. Having logged on to the ttb online banking website, I was greeted with a message to update my personal information - via ttb touch app, branch or, contact centre - it cannot be completed via online banking.

I’m currently deliberating whether to do this via the contact centre or, purchase the dtac data roaming package. 

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

4 hours ago, ClaytonSeymour said:

Update. Having logged on to the ttb online banking website, I was greeted with a message to update my personal information - via ttb touch app, branch or, contact centre - it cannot be completed via online banking.

I’m currently deliberating whether to do this via the contact centre or, purchase the dtac data roaming package. 

call the contact centre using Skype, can even update Skype so your Thai number comes up when calling someone

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

who uses a PC these days? very last decade

Except that it works, unlike your mobile app.  But of course you could access the bank's website via a browser in your mobile as well.  That would probably work.

Edited by cmarshall

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Except that it works, unlike your mobile app.  But of course you could access the bank's website via a browser in your mobile as well.  That would probably work.

Before going abroad everyone should make sure their online banking works, personally i use my phone or tablet

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

call the contact centre using Skype, can even update Skype so your Thai number comes up when calling someone

I could however, I’m still intrigued as to what’s causing the error. I’m inclined to confirm my suspicions that such information can only be sent when using mobile data from the registered phone numbers SIM card.

There’s also the matter of the incorrect date of birth. I imagine this was caused on my last visit to the Thanachart branch when she input my new passport details. If I call them to update my other details, I’d feel obliged to mention this, potentially opening a can of worms, that will likely be easier to rectify in a branch.

I’ve got another couple of weeks to decide before access is denied.

17 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Did all these app users forget that it's possible to access Thai banks through the website using a PC?

Not at all. However, the banks appear to be pushing customers towards the apps - there are things you can do on the app that aren’t possible on the website e.g. updating personal details.

There’s also the not unimportant matter of convenience - Face ID is so much easier.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Before going abroad everyone should make sure their online banking works, personally i use my phone or tablet

My online banking, both website & apps, were working fine last time I left Thailand. Covid-19 has kept me away & during that time, things have changed, firstly, my iPhone XS Max died & had to replaced, Thanachart merged with TMB bank to become ttb requiring a new banking app, without which, I wouldn’t have been able to gain access to the ttb online banking website & finally, most recently, I bought the new iPhone.

On a side note, it’s far simpler to transfer UK banking apps between devices - no need to be in range of UK mobile masts &/or using mobile data from the UK SIM card.

21 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Did all these app users forget that it's possible to access Thai banks through the website using a PC?

Off course not, I use both....

But I know some thai people including my wife who only can access their bank via the app. Because they never set up Internet banking through the website before leaving Thailand.  

6 hours ago, ClaytonSeymour said:

My online banking, both website & apps, were working fine last time I left Thailand. Covid-19 has kept me away & during that time, things have changed, firstly, my iPhone XS Max died & had to replaced, Thanachart merged with TMB bank to become ttb requiring a new banking app, without which, I wouldn’t have been able to gain access to the ttb online banking website & finally, most recently, I bought the new iPhone.

On a side note, it’s far simpler to transfer UK banking apps between devices - no need to be in range of UK mobile masts &/or using mobile data from the UK SIM card.

You have just one thai bank account? glad I have 3, gives me flexibility for any issues, can use different apps and online banking as required

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You have just one thai bank account? glad I have 3, gives me flexibility for any issues, can use different apps and online banking as required

I have two Thai bank accounts, ttb & Krungsri & without using mobile data connection from my Thai SIM card, I would have lost complete access to ttb (app & online banking) & when I recently bought my iPhone 13 Pro Max, access to the Krungsri app.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:08 PM, ClaytonSeymour said:

It would seem the error was an issue with the app, as following the latest update, I was able to successfully submit my updated details via Wi-Fi.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I am with Bangkok Bank and have an AIS pay as you go SIM (300THB for unlimited data for 30 days at 20Mbps).  After doing a few 20THB top-ups the SIM is good until December and the BB app and internet banking is setup and working great in Thailand.  I need to go back to Canada for the summer and may need to access my Bangkok bank account.  Both internet banking and mobile app banking end up sending an SMS to my Thai number for information and in some OTP cases, verification.

How are people getting SMS's sent to their Thai SIM while in another country?  Are you paying for expensive roaming packages or does it just work if you have the Thai SIM in your phone?

Thanks for any info.