Staying abroad, change your mobile phone, how to keep the Thai bank apps working?

This is a concern for many expats/frequent travelers/thais currently living abroad and cannot go back to Thailand any time soon....

So what are your experience about this? I`m only interested in Thai bank apps, not online banking with a browser on pc/computers etc. So please answer accordingly. 

If you loose your phone with your thai sim card then you are basically <deleted> and cannot perform any action on your mobile banking. But that's another story. 
People may break their phones beyond repair or they just want to have a new model, and then you still have your thai sim in working order. But setting up your Thai bank app on your new phone is maybe not possible at all living outside of Thailand? 

Kasikorn: Not possible are my experience, you need to be on a Thai mobile network when setting up their app on a new phone. 

Siam Commercial Bank(SCB)? 

Bangkok Bank?

Government Savings Bank(GSB)?

TMB Bank?

Krung Thai Bank?

Bank of Ayudhya (Krungsri)?

Haven't yet had a reason to try to do a Thai bank app setup from scratch with a new phone but with the same Thai SIM card while overseas.

Assume you're looking for the technical answer on a per bank basis, but as a philosophical/modus operandi suggestion:

You might just want to consider your Thai banking phone as a banking instrument only (not taking it out to take photos, go drinking, or do podcasts or whatever).   The same with any object that doesn't have a redundancy or backup.   Let whoever needs to get paid here in Thailand wait until you get home to do a transaction.   Think of it like not keeping your safety deposit box keys on your car or house keychain.????    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barley said:

Bangkok Bank:

I have several phones and I have my banking app set up on all my phones exactly for that reason. No problem with Bangkok Bank

Set up abroad when changing to a new phone? 

3 minutes ago, Barley said:

Bangkok Bank:

I have several phones and I have my banking app set up on all my phones exactly for that reason. No problem with Bangkok Bank

The key issue is you can't lose your Thai sim while overseas.  

I wonder if you installed your phone's backup to a new phone while overseas, inserted your Thai sim.... anyone know how Thai banking apps react to this?    

2 minutes ago, Heng said:

The key issue is you can't lose your Thai sim while overseas.  

Yes indeed, in times like this we should treat the Thai sim like really valuable object and keep it in our home ???? I do however bring it with me all the time in my dual sim phone. Makes me think twice about that now....

2 minutes ago, Heng said:

I wonder if you installed your phone's backup to a new phone while overseas, inserted your Thai sim.... anyone know how Thai banking apps react to this?    

That is a very interesting question! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barley said:

It wasn't from a backup, banking apps usually don't like that.

It was a fresh install.

Thumbs up for Bangkok Bank then, what mobile phone service provider do you use? 

Edited by Namplik

8 minutes ago, Namplik said:

Thumbs up for Bangkok Bank then, what mobile phone service provider do you use? 

I use AIS. But I also have True, though not for banking.

It is important to know, that AIS seems to have international roaming activated by default, but True needs to be activated separately.

Also keep an eye on the validity of your cards.

Here is a tread about that:

In Thailand my UK sim doesn't leave the condo as it was a nightmare to replace when I lost my phone earlier this year. In UK same for Thai sim.

I'd expect the apps to install ok, I know Kasikorn, Krungsri and BB are available on UK playstore, how it works in Thailand will be the same as UK in terms of what happens when you use a new phone. You most likely will need the thai sim to do OTP for set up of new device

• Like 1

If you're on AIS and with Bangkok Bank you'll have no problems. The bank requires a local number for app setup, so it sends OTP verification codes to that local number and doesn't know where it physically is. AIS just routes it to your phone overseas regardless.

After it's setup, the app works happily on your wifi and if/when it asks for location just say no. I run mine through a US VPN from Bangkok and never have any problems.

It won't work from a restored backup, so it's best to download from the App/Play Store and start fresh, though whether you'll see Thai apps when you access Google/Apple where you are is an unknown to me. If you're on Android and need the .apk installation file DM me.

I sent an email to SCB yesterday evening and they responded to it. Not possible to set up the app overseas.

Dear  Customer,

So sorry if we got back to you so late.

Process  to change new mobile phone and Re-install new device  (for SCB  Easy Application)  can not register while you're in oversea.
Since the Thai mobile phone sim card can not authenticate response with the Thai operator to verify. Roaming signal can not be use.

SCB easy application support  OTP only  Thailand mobile number.

If you have got more questions or comments about SCB products, please do not  hesitate to contact us at Tel.+ 66 (0)-2777-7777  (press 9 for English)  or visit our website any
time at https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/contact-scb.html

Best Regards, 
SCB Easy Call Center
+ 66 (0)-2777-7777

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'd expect the apps to install ok, I know Kasikorn, Krungsri and BB are available on UK playstore, how it works in Thailand will be the same as UK in terms of what happens when you use a new phone. You most likely will need the thai sim to do OTP for set up of new device

Install the apps are not the problem, and off course you need to have a thai sim on your phone. 

I found one example here from last year about Kasikorn, message from them is also negative. Cannot re register the app overseas on roaming. 

20 minutes ago, Namplik said:

Install the apps are not the problem, and off course you need to have a thai sim on your phone. 

I found one example here from last year about Kasikorn, message from them is also negative. Cannot re register the app overseas on roaming. 

Interesting, one safety measure is to perhaps set up the banking apps on your tablet before going abroad and test to ensure they work. Still need the thai sim in the phone but may save a ball ache if changing phone i.e. app may not work in the phone but still work on the tablet

The problem is the OTP code being sent to a Thai number to confirm transactions. For this reason I always maintain an AiS number in a separate phone whilst I’m abroad so I keep a separate phone setup for all my Thai apps with a roaming number. Yes you have to pay the monthly AiS fee but you can manage all Thai apps including banks, utilities, line account etc from the Thai registered phone.

• Like 1

You might be able to use Twillio or a third party voip provider that uses it or a similar service. 

I have my aussie mobile number hosted and forward my bank txt to my email.

Alternatively roaming or use an app to forward messages. 

1 hour ago, volsfan said:

K-Bank only works on one device at a time. And it can only change devices inside Thailand, and you need to use an ATM also to confirm it.

Bangkok Bank has a security code you can use to setup a device, and I believe I was able to use it overseas also. 

This thread has been useful, need to fully check apps and online access prior to going abroad

• Thanks 2

BEWARE !!

Check if your Android version is still a bit young  ,

as when banks update to example a new version who could need a higher Android version  and your outside country , and so no Thai network for identification (if needed )

As i had once , lucky while IN Thailand, i needed to buy an upgraded Smartphone  , or it close you out from installing update if your Android is not sufficient for the new bank app!  

How would the VPN help in this case?   Can't you upgrade your Android OS wherever you are?   As for the Thai bank aspect, they don't care where you're running your app in my experience.   They're just 'concerned' that it's the same Sim you registered with.

Edited by Heng

7 minutes ago, Heng said:

How would the VPN help in this case?   Can't you upgrade your Android OS wherever you are?   As for the Thai bank aspect, they don't care where you're running your app in my experience.   They're just 'concerned' that it's the same Sim you registered with.

Depending age of Phone for  Android VERSION update could work or not , the time it would not go for my phone ,they updated to Android version 8. (k+ app)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest that if you go abroad and decide to purchase a new phone, then leave the Thai bank app on the old phone and keep the old phone at least until you return to Thailand. Only then transfer app to new phone.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Flyfish said:

I bank with Krungsi. I simply changed my mobile phone number to a UK number,it works with my bank,they send me passcodes ect for logging in on my thai app via my UK phone

Thumbs up for Krungsri then. But I guess you need to be in Thailand to change the number, go to a Krungsri branch? 

16 hours ago, volsfan said:

K-Bank only works on one device at a time. And it can only change devices inside Thailand, and you need to use an ATM also to confirm it.

Bangkok Bank has a security code you can use to setup a device, and I believe I was able to use it overseas also. 

I`m a long time Kasikorn customer myself and I have changed my device several times in Thailand.(Brought new phone with me from Europe) But I can`t ever remember that I had to go to a ATM to do any confirmation? Last time I set up the Kasikorn app on my new phone was about 18 month`s ago. Maybe things have changed since then? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Namplik said:

I`m a long time Kasikorn customer myself and I have changed my device several times in Thailand.(Brought new phone with me from Europe) But I can`t ever remember that I had to go to a ATM to do any confirmation? Last time I set up the Kasikorn app on my new phone was about 18 month`s ago. Maybe things have changed since then? 

Good question, i changed my phone 6 months ago and can't remember needing to go to an ATM for the Kasikorn app install