What's the image of Porsche owners in Thailand???

11 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Approximate Thai pecking order for posing:

McLaren, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Bmw.

(Bentley and Rolls - Old Man's cars)

And approximate order for practicability: on par Mercedes - BMW.

Porsche is then the most durable and practical from the Sports Car league. And the rest you can completely forget for Thailand. Would not take a day and you needed a new front spoiler.....and for the traffic in Bangkok a Ferrari ?? Do you have any idea how much a new clutch for a Ferrari is ? Irrespective that the first medium size hole in the street would shatter your spine, you can hardly see outside to park the car, some have no power steering, too. And no place for luggage as well. The most important aspect of these cars is the social aspect which is actually not to be underestimated. And if you WOULD have nice streets somehere out in the wild the insane road grip will make you smile the most apart from the prestige and the reactions you get out of that.

Edited by moogradod
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Dumb and dumber. About as pretentious as driving a Rolls Royce or Bentley in the west. Some models sell for more than 10 million. 

I recently bought a new car. One of the ways I looked at value, was to measure the cost of that same car in the US. Mine was almost identical. Otherwise, would have felt like a sucker.

And at this point in time, who wants to feel like they are sponsoring a failed regime? 

what did you buy?

• Haha 1

Porsche starts a 5MB and are not really luxury cars for most.

They do not really have a image as 90% Thai do not even know what is a Porsche model / badge.

You get a lot better image when driving a 3MB Benz because everybody in this world knows Benz badge.

https://www.porsche.com/pap/_thailand_/models/macan/

Edited by thweshfoyo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I use to think it was special calling myself a millionaire,

until a met a billionaire.

It's all relative, people buy as much image as they can afford,

That Porsche probably isn't busting the bank for the owner. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

To the OP - Jealousy is a terrible human trait.

Good luck to people who can afford a Porsche...if you work hard and make money spend it how you wish.

And to moan about the "price" is ridiculous. We all know why, import duty and tax.

A papaya is 20-40 baht in Thailand and 400+ in the UK!

As for your "image" question. 

Approximate Thai pecking order for posing:

McLaren, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Bmw.

(Bentley and Rolls - Old Man's cars)

RAZZ

Very true. 30 years ago a Thai woman I knew dismissed Rolls as just a parcel delivery car for shopping!

• Haha 2

On 7/30/2021 at 10:21 PM, thweshfoyo said:

They do not really have a image as 90% Thai do not even know what is a Porsche model / badge.

You get a lot better image when driving a 3MB Benz because everybody in this world knows Benz badge.

I would agree with this but also add that basic options will quickly take a Boxster or Cayman up past the THB 8m mark.

They are so overpriced in Thailand which is why I put any thought of buying one out of my head and went for an MB instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 10:21 PM, thweshfoyo said:

I have a MB C43 AMG. 400bhp. Great car, but not as fast as a Porsche.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ehs818 said:

This topic reminds me of a joke I heard years back.

"What's the difference between a porcupine and a Porshe? The porcupine has its pricks on the outside."

How's your Click running...?  ????

Edited by transam
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I suspect you haven’t ever owned one? Or did you have a bad experience yourself?

I did not own one, but my father did back in the 1970s. He bought a new 911T in 1971 and owned it for about two years. Not a bad car, just expensive to maintain and not really practical. I enjoyed driving it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1