What's the image of Porsche owners in Thailand???

20 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Quite right. A beat up Toyota is just as fast as any sports car when stuck in a traffic jam, and you'll also be free from ridicule.

????

Just as fast? It's faster. In Bangkok people have no problems cutting off luxury cars but drive a Fortuner and they kindly remove themselves from your path.

• Confused 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:10 AM, wprime said:

Just as fast? It's faster. In Bangkok people have no problems cutting off luxury cars but drive a Fortuner and they kindly remove themselves from your path.

Will log this as reason #1,356 in the list of why people that can't afford a Porsche, wouldn't buy one anyway.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, fallup88 said:

Folks who can afford a porsche here don't buy it for face, they buy it because they enjoy the car. Folks who buy cars for face are the working class buying bmw and mercedes who can hardly afford to pay off the installments. 

Do you have any evidence on BMW and MB owners who can hardly pay off their vehicles?

Suggest you compare OPs thread (Porsche) with BMW Ms and MB AMGs? and please come back and tell us all these owners "can hardly afford to pay off the installments" - just one more time to acknowledge you dont know much about the subject in this post on Porsche owners.

Cheers & happy Sunday to all of you

2 hours ago, THEN said:

Do you have any evidence on BMW and MB owners who can hardly pay off their vehicles?

Suggest you compare OPs thread (Porsche) with BMW Ms and MB AMGs? and please come back and tell us all these owners "can hardly afford to pay off the installments" - just one more time to acknowledge you dont know much about the subject in this post on Porsche owners.

Cheers & happy Sunday to all of you

I have anecdotal evidence.

Last year I got an MB -  but was looking at Benz & BM and a big fat discount. At both - when we were checking prices - the question came up "how much do you want to finance?". I asked at BMW what the norm was and it was 80%. When I said that I'd probably pay cash - they reacted in a way that made it clear this was unusual. That was on a 4 million Baht car with about 600k off - so the 3.4M area. Might be different on higher priced cars. 

This year - I ordered a BM and the discount was 300k off a 5m car. When the girl came to the house to sort out the paperwork and seal the deal, the paperwork she prepared had financing - I can't remember how  much but I think 60-70% (it's been a while). I told her I didn't want any financing and she tried to take away the discount. In the end she left after many calls to her boss and feeding us a "cannot" line about max discounts allowable by BM ya de ya de ya. Of course - she didn't really leave - she went up the road and parked up waiting for us to call her. She was back in an hour.

This isn't the highest end - but at that level - financing was presumed. This could be down to my personal appearance of course.

Now - another thing - I do know a rich Thai with a number of cars and I have the impression that he could pay cash - but he says he prefers to pay each month. 

So - I would say that presuming most are financed, at least at the 3-5M price range is sensible. Even then - it doesn't mean people are over-extending themselves because most people that buy new Toyotas, Hondas etc also finance them and there's no presumption they are over-extending themselves. 

In my opinion - I'd rather fork out the money now than have monthly payments of 80-90k a month because you never know what the future holds and I don't like being in debt.

Also  - even though these cars are taxed highly and therefore pricier than most western countries - they tend to come fully loaded. Lots of stuff on my cars would be extras in the UK. My theory is that Thai shopping culture is more about freebies - so the idea of seeing a price and then having to add on a ton of cash for stuff like reversing cameras, simply would not fly here. People here are used to being given stuff on purchasing - service, insurance, window film etc - is all included.

But relative to the west - it's expensive. But we aren't in the west. I've been here 23 years - it's just one factor of the overall cost of living. 

Edited by pedro01

11 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Last year I got an MB -  but was looking at Benz & BM and a big fat discount. At both - when we were checking prices - the question came up "how much do you want to finance?". I asked at BMW what the norm was and it was 80%. When I said that I'd probably pay cash - they reacted in a way that made it clear this was unusual. That was on a 4 million Baht car with about 600k off - so the 3.4M area. Might be different on higher priced cars. 

This year - I ordered a BM and the discount was 300k off a 5m car. When the girl came to the house to sort out the paperwork and seal the deal, the paperwork she prepared had financing - I can't remember how  much but I think 60-70% (it's been a while). I told her I didn't want any financing and she tried to take away the discount. In the end she left after many calls to her boss and feeding us a "cannot" line about max discounts allowable by BM ya de ya de ya. Of course - she didn't really leave - she went up the road and parked up waiting for us to call her. She was back in an hour.

This isn't the highest end - but at that level - financing was presumed. This could be down to my personal appearance of course.

Now - another thing - I do know a rich Thai with a number of cars and I have the impression that he could pay cash - but he says he prefers to pay each month. 

So - I would say that presuming most are financed, at least at the 3-5M price range is sensible. Even then - it doesn't mean people are over-extending themselves because most people that buy new Toyotas, Hondas etc also finance them and there's no presumption they are over-extending themselves. 

In my opinion - I'd rather fork out the money now than have monthly payments of 80-90k a month because you never know what the future holds and I don't like being in debt.

Also  - even though these cars are taxed highly and therefore pricier than most western countries - they tend to come fully loaded. Lots of stuff on my cars would be extras in the UK. My theory is that Thai shopping culture is more about freebies - so the idea of seeing a price and then having to add on a ton of cash for stuff like reversing cameras, simply would not fly here. People here are used to being given stuff on purchasing - service, insurance, window film etc - is all included.

But relative to the west - it's expensive. But we aren't in the west. I've been here 23 years - it's just one factor of the overall cost of living. 

Normally I bypass your drivel but today you have a couple of fair points.

Here the price quoted for let’s say BM/MB includes the extras that you will pay a high price for in eg the UK, 

And yes we are not in the west so just accept what items are less expensive and which are more.

Edited by PFMills
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Dealers prefer you finance because they get a cut of it. No matter which brand you buy, they will try and steer you to financing. When I bought an MB a year ago, they tried to get me to finance even though I told them from the start that I will pay cash.

Edited by FarangRimPing
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 7:52 AM, PFMills said:

Normally I bypass your drivel but today you have a couple of fair points.

Here the price quoted for let’s say BM/MB includes the extras that you will pay a high price for in eg the UK, 

And yes we are not in the west so just accept what items are less expensive and which are more.

That's so bizarre - that you have noticed me, yet I can't place you at all. 

Must be how famous people feel when strangers approach them in the street - thinking they know who you really are.

I'll put you down for the fan club, when it comes up.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, FarangRimPing said:

Dealers prefer you finance because they get a cut of it. No matter which brand you buy, they will try and steer you to financing. When I bought an MB a year ago, they tried to get me to finance even though I told them from the start that I will pay cash.

Normally, I'd agree.

But with finance rates between 1-2%, the cut is going to be insignificant. 

As for how I will pay - nobody gets to hear that till they ask ????

On 7/30/2021 at 7:55 AM, tonray said:

You know what they say "if you need to ask the price......"

Got a 911 C4S in the garage in Florida. Incredible car. Bought it in 2006 for US$ 42000 with 4000 miles.

Never a problem still perfect. Would I pay $312,000 for one here xxxx no.

image.png.478b617e6bb5cbc7bac0b05ed3a72124.png

88685308.jpg

2006 911 C4S  TBH 1,260,000

Edited by jazzdog32095
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 9:55 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

I would agree with this but also add that basic options will quickly take a Boxster or Cayman up past the THB 8m mark.

They are so overpriced in Thailand which is why I put any thought of buying one out of my head and went for an MB instead.

image.png.d1ee329cd1628b9e81f1e070e0139674.png

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, fallup88 said:

Folks who can afford a porsche here don't buy it for face, they buy it because they enjoy the car. Folks who buy cars for face are the working class buying bmw and mercedes who can hardly afford to pay off the installments. 

And live in a doublewide

47 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Got a 911 C4S in the garage in Florida. Incredible car. Bought it in 2006 for US$ 42000 with 4000 miles.

88685308.jpg

Sorry, I miss calculated, I would pay US$ 760,000 for the same car today

1 hour ago, jazzdog32095 said:

88685308.jpg

1.  That’s not a 2006.  It’s a 2005 or earlier as it is a 996 and not a 2006 or later 997C4S

2.  Comparing the purchase price to a new 911 turbo is apples and oranges.

3 minutes ago, Airalee said:

1.  That’s not a 2006.  It’s a 2005 or earlier as it is a 996 and not a 2006 or later 997C4S

2.  Comparing the purchase price to a new 911 turbo is apples and oranges.

I bought it in 2006 with 4000 miles, it is a 2004 model. You actually believe I could buy a new 2006 911 C4S for 42K?

Edited by jazzdog32095

17 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

I bought it in 2006 with 4000 miles, it is a 2004 model. You actually believe I could buy a new 2006 911 C4S for 42K?

You can buy a similar vintage 996 C4S here for about $140k.  The ones currently for sale are less, but a year or two older.   Expensive, for sure…but nowhere near the $760,000 you were quoting for a Turbo S.  Completely different car.  My 1996 993C2 would cost more to replace here (like for like) than any newer 996.  The worst part about it is that we’d both be driving automatics here too.

A526C204-18CC-415C-91AF-D413B096B3C1.png

F978CEE3-EFB8-44FA-94FC-C2951F1B769E.png

Edited by Airalee

6 minutes ago, Airalee said:

You can buy a similar vintage 996 C4S here for about $140k.  The ones currently for sale are less, but a year or two older.   Expensive, for sure…but nowhere near the $760,000 you were quoting for a Turbo S.  Completely different car.  My 1996 993C2 would cost more to replace here (like for like) than any newer 996.  The worst part about it is that we’d both be driving automatics here too.

A526C204-18CC-415C-91AF-D413B096B3C1.png

No we damn sure don't want that. First thing I do when I go home is drive my 911 from my house in St.Augustine down to a wine & cheese shop in Daytona along A1A,  PRICELESS !!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

I used to meet a Porsche whilst cam[ing and we inevitably talked about the cars he sold. He, himself had a Mercedes. Porsches were out of his pay scale. A genie legal imported Porsche would have 300% taxes, duties and fees added to the vehicle price before it could go on the road.

46 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

That was originally applied to Jaguar cars.

Well if I had money,
I'd tell you what I'd do,
I go downtown buy a Porsche or two.
Crazy bout a Porsche 
Lord I'm crazy bout a Porsche 
I'm gonna buy me a Porsche  & cruise it up & down the road.

Well the girl I love,
I stole her from a friend.
He got lucky stole her back again,
She heard he had a Porsche 
Lord she's crazy bout a Porsche 
I'm gonna buy me a Porsche & cruise it up & down the road.