What's the image of Porsche owners in Thailand???

The cost of a 2 or 4 wheel ride is immaterial to you bystanders, folk pay millions of $ for 50 year old muscle cars, folk spend fortunes on new 200 mph rides that they will never use as a performance ride, but they buy them because they want one, and they can afford it.

This is Thailand, where the tax regime is way different to farangland when buying something special, you lot should feel sorry for the country's car lovers, as it's only the well off that can enjoy buying a ride they desire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:59 AM, bkk6060 said:

Here I agree seems crazy for these cars add BMW and MBZ some 2 or 3 times the price.

People all over the world want to flaunt that they are rich whether they are or not.

Makes them feel important I guess but deep down, probably very insecure.

Btw...... What is MBZ? A new brand? Never heard before ????

• Haha 2

My neighbor has 2 RWB Porsches locked in his garage, they are never driven (993 widebody and 911 Narro), only time they emerge from the garage is to be cleaned..

My neighbor is a mid level manager for a thai company, he wears steel cap boots and likes a beer or two after a hard days work, he drive a Toyota Soluna daily.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:59 AM, bkk6060 said:

Here I agree seems crazy for these cars add BMW and MBZ some 2 or 3 times the price.

People all over the world want to flaunt that they are rich whether they are or not.

Makes them feel important I guess but deep down, probably very insecure.

The 6 wheel drive Model G from Mercedes is in Europe 1 million Euro, with that price I expect in LOS about 60-70 million THB.

For the Thai to compare with the Fortuner, not affordable, unfortunately.

BF3A8F3C-603A-463D-9A39-811506F73744.jpg

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, transam said:

Back home in the UK my fun ride spent most of its life in the garage being tenderly nurtured by me for 23 years, and as often as possible...A love affair...

Photo-277.jpg

Love me some chrome, looks fantastic.

Any more details on the fun ride ?

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 8:09 AM, RAZZELL said:

To the OP - Jealousy is a terrible human trait.

Good luck to people who can afford a Porsche...if you work hard and make money spend it how you wish.

And to moan about the "price" is ridiculous. We all know why, import duty and tax.

A papaya is 20-40 baht in Thailand and 400+ in the UK!

As for your "image" question. 

Approximate Thai pecking order for posing:

McLaren, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Bmw.

(Bentley and Rolls - Old Man's cars)

RAZZ

Ha ha "if you work hard and make money". Yeah right, the owners of these tin cans on wheels have really calloused hands eh?

Where I'm from we see a BMA, Porsche and think "oh another dealer or grandmaster".

I'd wager there are similar thoughts here too.

Jealous? Nah.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Love me some chrome, looks fantastic.

Any more details on the fun ride ?

It's a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.8 ltr, 71 block, 68 heads, 69 crank, alloy rods etc. with a little N2O, plus a manual reverse pattern auto trans, 100% street car, for show and go... The dinosaur runs 11.5 @ 121mph on street tyres, the last time was way back in 2005.......????

1173727052_TransAm010-001.jpg.a59beea56eb18e92c4a132d62f771606.jpg

1544210375_picasabackground-001(2020_09_1104_33_26UTC).jpg.7278638409beb5cbf19c6093979b4a39.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

It's a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.8 ltr, 71 block, 68 heads, 69 crank, alloy rods etc. with a little N2O, plus a manual reverse pattern auto trans, 100% street car, for show and go... The dinosaur runs 11.5 @ 121mph on street tyres, the last time was way back in 2005.......????

1173727052_TransAm010-001.jpg.a59beea56eb18e92c4a132d62f771606.jpg

1544210375_picasabackground-001(2020_09_1104_33_26UTC).jpg.7278638409beb5cbf19c6093979b4a39.jpg

Thats an amazing ride cuz, very impressive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Douchey

Never get it out of third gear.

Even open roads full of potholes.

All sorts of stupid drivers to endanger you

Go ahead!

You obviously never been to a track day and watch members of the Thailand Porsche Owners Club belting out a few laps in there prized toys.

This is a Porsche that’s imo is the love of cars not look at me I’ve a Porsche... to each their own for whatever reason. Xwife liked having a New MB every 2-3 years.. .. I had a free nc to me company car.

she get angry when I’d tell her looking out the window of my car view was same as her MB.. Now my

Harley was more of a love... can’t deny it.. picture from FB...

218EC94B-0CFE-4083-9A51-41258ABEB63D.jpeg

11 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

You can use your fortuna for that

Actually it is an Everest but I suppose to the untrained eye they do look somewhat alike ????

Edited by PFMills

19 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

In the UK a Porsche driver is usually thought of as a professional type, I think it’s probably the car of choice for Architects. It says “successful professional but sensible and not flashy”.

Lamborghini and Ferrari are considered a bit flashy and new money and whilst I would enjoy driving one, I would never buy one because of the image, the exception being the Lamborghini Urus which is the best SUV you can buy bar none.

You can’t compare prices here with Europe/UK/US, because of the import tax, likewise it’s reflected in 2nd hand values.  The Porsche 911 is one of the least depreciating cars on the planet in every country and if you have the money, it is a sensible choice if you don’t need the space.

I drive a Porsche Taycan because I’m a fan of electric cars and IMHO it is the best electric car you can buy (my last car was a Mercedes Benz PHEV).  I will probably buy another Porsche, a 911 Convertible in the next year or so simply for the joy of open top driving and ownership but for use alongside my Taycan, and I’ll probably tell no one.

After a lifetime in the UK of driving Luxury brands followed by 10 years in Thailand driving average cars, you start to yearn for something special again and that yearning creeps up on you.

I disagree with my close friend @FarangRimPing that people buy a Porsche for “face”.  In 1994 I bought a Honda NSX, anyone who knows that car knows you don’t buy an NSX for face.  It cost more than a 911 but carried a Honda badge and for nearly a decade held the record of fastest production car round the Nurburgring.  It’s about joy of ownership and driving pleasure, regardless of the badge.

I bought my first of several Rolls Royces at 31 years old and spent the better part of the first year hiding it from my friends and work colleagues, inevitably the secret got out, but it was never about “face”.  It was an ambition I’d had from childhood.

If you’ve got the money, a Porsche is IMHO the most sensible and least flashy of the Supercar brands.

With regard to 'Face', I did not mean to imply that Porsche owners worldwide buy for Face. I had a Porsche when I lived in the US. Cost was reasonable and ownership was not impractical. Many dealers, etc.

I was referring to the situation in Thailand, as it is a Thailand forum. My opinion is that most, but not necessarily all, people that buy Porsches here do it for Face. 

On 7/30/2021 at 9:53 AM, nikmar said:

Personally speaking, Ive never been able to compehend why ownership of a sports car in Thailand is desirable. Especially Bangkok. How fast can you go on an average day in Sukhumvit?

Quite right. A beat up Toyota is just as fast as any sports car when stuck in a traffic jam, and you'll also be free from ridicule.

????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Have yet to see a Maybach here...

There are Maybach's here. And did you know that the King of Siam had a Mercedes with an English chauffeur to take care of it way back in 1908....

Have a look on the back of a 100 baht note, bottom left..

• Like 1