Staying Cool, Calm, and Mentally Collected during Covid: How do you do it? Your Secret is What?

Some say sustained aerobic exercise is good for remaining rational.

But swimming pools are now closed, and, where I live, there are no mountain hiking trails handy.

Maybe if you have a hobby or avocation, this might help.

I dearly wish I could pursue astronomy and stargazing, for example. Yet, with the cloud cover during this rainy season, resolving the moons of Saturn is not an option.

If I could get my hands on some optical glass blanks from Corning, I might choose to grind a mirror for an 8-inch Newtonian. This takes ages if you grind by hand.

Cooking is good fun. I make bread, but don't bake pies, since I don’t have an oven in the kitchen.

Maybe the secret is to focus on something time consuming that one might have wanted to do before the Covid lockdowns hit.

Maybe there are some things I would like doing that I have not yet thought of doing, even.

No doubt each of us has some strategy to burn up time while we continue waiting for everything to return to normal.

Perhaps you might enlighten the rest of us concerning innovative ways you have found to divert your attention away from being overly preoccupied with Covid.

No doubt creativity will become increasingly important as the days fly by.

getting a bit more exercise...

a bit more time on the news which is not healthy

learning more reading and writing Thai

streaming some sports... and following my teams.. as I did when I was a kid. 

cooking and working the food trip for my niece who is off school

a long list but plenty of idle time too.. 

Here in north Laos, my daily routine has hardly changed. There was a village lockdown earlier this year, but we're talking about just a couple of imported virus cases.  I walk into town and back (8km) most days, do my radio amateur hobby, teach science online etc.  I was AZ vaccinated for free months ago, since Laos treats provides vaccinations to all, based on medical/age priorities.  I stay cool, calm and mentally-collected, because apart from the difficulty in travelling overseas (no BKK shopping trips), life goes on as normal.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No doubt each of us has some strategy to burn up time while we continue waiting for everything to return to normal.

Working, reading books, watching informative or funny videos, playing with electronics, riding with my bike to my favorite coffee shop, eating delicious food, ...

And most of all: Acknowledge that some things can't be changed. The situation is what it is and as individuals we can't change them. Being frustrated about that or complaining or whatever doesn't change that fact. Accept that and relax, one day it will be over.

Untitled-25.png?w=640

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 2

I teach on line. I really enjoy it - it's constructive and keeps my brain sharp. Read a bit and watch history videos on Youtube. 

I gave up alcohol for the forseeable - Im aiming for an initial 1 month dry and will review the situation then.

Im currently 2 weeks dry and feel awful. The last 2 days have been bad and being honest, depression is starting to win. The teaching English helps a bit but doesnt help with the long sleepless nights!

Im not getting on with my wife and have started thinking seriously about leaving withmy son.

These are not easy times!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'm lucky enough because covid has not effected me much, I can always make myself busy. 

I would think it depends where someone lives. 

I Multi gym exercise some mornings.

We have a small farm 2 kilos outside the village so plenty to do there if I want. 

Hobbies Archery & Shooting at the farm. 

The one thing that's affected is riding my bike on tours because can't go places and stop overnight somewhere like before covid. 

I still ride bike every week locally.

Drive my truck and ride my scoot locally.

There's always something to do in or outside the house at times. 

Window cleaning e.g. 

Luckily I got a home gym and the pool behind my house is not closed. I think i would get seriously stressed after a few months of not training. I had it before that i could not train it would stress me a bit.

Now i just workout at my home gym and sometimes if there is sun go to the pool. Do play more computer games now too.

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess I'm lucky enough because covid has not effected me much, I can always make myself busy. 

I would think it depends where someone lives. 

I Multi gym exercise some mornings.

We have a small farm 2 kilos outside the village so plenty to do there if I want. 

Hobbies Archery & Shooting at the farm. 

The one thing that's affected is riding my bike on tours because can't go places and stop overnight somewhere like before covid. 

I still ride bike every week locally.

Drive my truck and ride my scoot locally.

There's always something to do in or outside the house at times. 

Window cleaning e.g. 

Yes for some its easier as others, also not much affected besides the fact that the GF is home 24/7.

Got a home gym so working out is not a problem pool too so that makes things easier. 

But also could always entertain myself well. But even so i get a bit bored that everything is closed. I used to like shopping now its a drag. Anyway can't complain if i compare myself to the poor Thais and others living in a small condo room.

That must be hellish in the end.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

This keeps me occupied in two ways, firstly finding and downloading all the movies, then of course watching all the movies.

I am only missing 3-4 from the list (obscure French movies from 1940s), and around 25% through watching them.

What would you recommend?

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

How do you do that? I mean legally ? can you fire a gun there?

My wife's sisters son has a gun license he has a shotgun lives next to our 4 rai of farmland her land goes for miles. 

He has a •22 air-rifle too which I like to shoot with. 

Fascinating and Inpirational , thanks guys.

Appears I am extremely fortunate in this regard having determined to see this out, in my Phuket Seaview Family Property, since March last year.

Waiting for next foreign project, hopefully by October......

1. Spending time with my wonderful thai lady & young growing son.

2. Diet Changes; plant - based, lost 10% body weight., great energy/ mood.

3. HIIT Gym ( 1 minute away) & HIIT Swimming (Common 17 mtr Home Pool).

4. Sleeping & Relaxing Well & Long. Gym = Spin Bike & Core Body Weights.

5. Daily Mail, BBC, TVF, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, Kindle, True Sat., Nat Geo.

6, News,Opinions, Novels, Articles, Politics, History, Sports, Geography, Sci- Fi.

7, Tech Stock & Crypto Trading.

8. Networking for Next Overseas Project.

9. Coffee Shop/Beach/Gym/Restaurant/ Rest- Family / Swim/ Ipad ; daily.

10. Online Plant Sales Business ( observer/ my lady’s).

11. Home Schooling Son (observer/ my lady actually....)

12. Home Extention / Improvement / Refurnishing ( my lady design & build control)....Completed

13. Driving Bike Around Island ( Friends/ Beach / Restaurants / Cinema).

14. Developing & Maintaining Quality Local Expat Relationships.

15. Avoiding all a***hole Expats(Neighbours, Bars) & Other Trouble.

16. Reviewing & Improving My Residential / Family Status. (17). Completed

17. Legal Property Review ( Lease & Intl. Rental) /Yellow & Blue/ National ID/ Wills/Visa/ Insurances / Family Health/ Blue Book/ Vehicle Owner Books All Updated & Filed.

18. Car & Bike Maintenance & Improvements.