Thailand reports 17,970 new COVID-19 cases, 178 deaths

webfact

COVID2.jpg
File photo//REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

Thailand on Monday (August 2) reported 17,970 new COVID-19 cases and 178 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

● 17,795 new infections
● 175 prison / prison infections

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 633,284 with 5,168 deaths. 

(Total infections since April 1: 604,421)

The news comes as Thailand extended tighter containment measures in the capital and high-risk provinces probably until the end of August in a bid to slow the spread of COVID-19 as the country deals with its biggest outbreak to date.

The restrictions, including travel curbs, mall closures and curfews, will be expanded to 29 provinces classified as "dark red zone" from 13, Apisamai Srirangsan, spokeswoman for the government's COVID-19 task force, told a televised news briefing.

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The weekend effect with a lack of mass testing and a lack of inclusion for those Phetchabun cluster numbers.  Sad to see the deaths as they rise as well, but then they generally do lag behind the cases by a few weeks.  The number in CCU's and the ICU's on respirators/ventilators is the number that's troubling as well as the continuing number who are ill and are unable to find a hospital bed.

How many on ventilators?

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

They should have suspended the lottery,  as they did last year. Yesterday, I saw dozens of people crowding around lottery ticket sellers, with the usual chatting and shouting. Hardly essential.

Making money and the government endorsed only gambling facility are just too important......

Wonder where the ticket sellers go these days with no restaurants open where they can disturb people dining.

4 minutes ago, worrab said:

I see that 25 vaccination centres were closed over the weekend owing to a shortage of vaccine according to the media we do not mention here. Also the Mor Prom app cancelled all bookings for Friday and Saturday and have yet to offer new bookings. No further comment needed really!

Furthermore, over 7,000 bought vaccination slots at Bang Sue station which were illegally acquired through a loophole.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Southeast Asia reported a drop in new Covid-19 cases and deaths on Sunday, collated data showed. #Asean #COVID19 #TheNationThailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40004058

Sharp decline in new Covid-19 cases and deaths in Asean

I'm interested in Vietnam numbers over next few weeks. They have hard lockdown in some areas. Saigon etc.

The death numbers hard to follow as they go from 200+ down to zero.

Ignore that....what will be interesting is their positive case numbers. 

Rose quickly to 8500k+ and now can the lockdown slow this rapid rate of increase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Folk should not just look at numbers and after noticing few days of consistent cases or even decline and subsequently make suggestions that "the peak is over'.

It's embarrassing. 

Yes, but "Folk" could look at the numbers from India (divide by 20), Indonesia (Divide by 4), etc to get a feeling of the dynamics of the Delta variants in places that aren't too dissimilar from Thailand. From that and with some optimism I'd dare saying that Bangkok might turn around by mid August and the provinces 4 to 5 weeks later.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I agree and even go a step further.

Folk should not just look at numbers and after noticing few days of consistent cases or even decline and subsequently make suggestions that "the peak is over'.

It's embarrassing. 

With slow vaccination numbers there is ongoing war with covid for quite some time to come. Sadly the positive numbers and deaths will continue.

Disappointing to see that inter province travel restrictions not vamped up.

I 100% agree - but don't use the W*R word you might frighten the general into thinking his army may have to fight. Then the scary police will come....

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm interested in Vietnam numbers over next few weeks. They have hard lockdown in some areas. Saigon etc.

The death numbers hard to follow as they go from 200+ down to zero.

Ignore that....what will be interesting is their positive case numbers. 

Rose quickly to 8500k+ and now can the lockdown slow this rapid rate of increase.

The miracles of a Communist-ruled country where mathematics is just an opinion

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Last night as we went for a long walk, while going to the market to get a few groceries, the number of newly homeless people, lining the sidewalks under the stairwells to the crossroad walkways on Sukhumvit was staggering.  Looks like many who are unemployed were booted out of their modest homes where my GF said many were probably only paying between 2k and 3k a month in rent. Sad to see no social safety net for this country.  Families dropping of Covid infected parents at temples, people now living on the streets because they do not want to infect family and so on.  I think Thailand is pretty close to the breaking point.  Just was sent a video, by a friend in the US, of a protest and near riot held last night with the Thai police lobbing gas canisters at the crowds as well as a large moving protest on motorbikes and in cars.  He indicated the video was from a live news feed that he captured.  People in other countries are starting to see Thailand for what is really happening here and thus is why the good PM has now decided that even true news is fake and to charge all who show such with a crime.  I have not observed any news on the protests except of a few still photos.  I do not dare post the video here.

There are hundreds of photos and videos of yesterday's protest on social media. I could hear them from my office in Centralworld. It was another in the regular anti-government protests, although to be more Covid-aware it was mostly motorbikes and cars. It also turned nasty later on in the day. Just do a Twitter search.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1