Thailand reports 17,970 new COVID-19 cases, 178 deaths

webfact

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Heading into August with terrible statistics that show no signs of waning. With the hospitals already at breaking point the situation can only get worse. The images coming from some hospitals are akin to a war zone. The medics need support and the patients need the government to visit the hospitals and tell them why they will be dying waiting for a bed.

17,970 new cases with 175 of those from prisons. 178 COVID deaths.

Rolling 7 day average up till 31st July. Community cases chart from official figures.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

1A82F77B-6153-46C4-A86F-4759E526EBAD.png

F9FEB23E-DC74-4092-858E-63D5E0ACC3B7.png

patients need the government to visit the hospitals and tell them why they will be dying waiting for a bed.

17,970 new cases with 175 of those from prisons. 178 COVID deaths. You know that will never happen. Very sad

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There are hundreds of photos and videos of yesterday's protest on social media. I could hear them from my office in Centralworld. It was another in the regular anti-government protests, although to be more Covid-aware it was mostly motorbikes and cars. It also turned nasty later on in the day. Just do a Twitter search.

Thanks Brewster, I have seen it myself on social media, my point was the rest of the world is seeing it now for what it truly is and those in the US are getting concerned for all who live in this country and believe it might end up like an event in a country, who has its claws into this government, many years ago with Tanks.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Absolute chaos around Bangkok hospitals many people cannot get a bed 5 days it took to get my BiL into a bed the first one should have been Saturday morning after 2 and half hours to be sent home and wait for a call later in the day, we eventually found another hospital that would take him Sunday morning his friends got him there at 8 am and he was admitted right away thats good for him,

The first hospital never called back,

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, when people were claiming that hospitals were full. Actually, there were beds available (obviously because more people were admitted), but the system for allocating the infected to hospital beds is weak, if not inoperable. So, I am sure that even today there may be a hospital that has empty beds, with no intake system to fill them. 

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Last night as we went for a long walk, while going to the market to get a few groceries, the number of newly homeless people, lining the sidewalks under the stairwells to the crossroad walkways on Sukhumvit was staggering.  Looks like many who are unemployed were booted out of their modest homes where my GF said many were probably only paying between 2k and 3k a month in rent. Sad to see no social safety net for this country.  Families dropping of Covid infected parents at temples, people now living on the streets because they do not want to infect family and so on.  I think Thailand is pretty close to the breaking point.  Just was sent a video, by a friend in the US, of a protest and near riot held last night with the Thai police lobbing gas canisters at the crowds as well as a large moving protest on motorbikes and in cars.  He indicated the video was from a live news feed that he captured.  People in other countries are starting to see Thailand for what is really happening here and thus is why the good PM has now decided that even true news is fake and to charge all who show such with a crime.  I have not observed any news on the protests except of a few still photos.  I do not dare post the video here.

Sad to see no social safety net for this country. They cant even pay for vaccines , but they can buy Submarines from China 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I usually like to see some optimism.... but in this case I am afraid not. We have had such results after the weekend before, only to see it bump up after a few days...... 

Optimism kinda hard to do: suppose 17970/4 = 4492 are delta.   Suppose the R0 is 4 Now go forward 8 days. The generation interval ( the time between infection events in an infector-infectee pair in the transmission chain) * see graph in figure link. Is about 3.5 days. So the exponent of growth is 8days/3.5 days gen.int.= 2.28. Then in eight days by the data and math the total new infections: 4492(4)^2.28 = 105,958.   

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32145466/#:~:text=Limiting our data to only,than its median incubation period.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks Brewster, but I have seen it myself on social media, my point was the rest of the world is seeing it now for what it truly is and those in the US are getting concerned for all who live in this country and believe it might end up like an event in a country, who has its claws into this government, many years ago with Tanks.

I'm not sure I see your point unless you're saying that yesterday's protest was Covid related. The international coverage of the anti-government protests in Bangkok months ago was extensive.  Maybe you're unable to say what you really mean, which of course is understandable.

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm not sure I see your point unless you're saying that yesterday's protest was Covid related. The international coverage of the anti-government protests in Bangkok months ago was extensive.  Maybe you're unable to say what you really mean, which of course is understandable.

Yes, I meant Covid related, as well as the removal of the PM, sorry I did not make that clear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, club said:

The US government proved their loyalty to us by not sending vaccines to ALL Americans (9 million) living and working in other countries , but I do have many family members asking me when i am coming home 

2 phone calls today on that subject as well, and not understanding why I am choosing to stay here.  Hard to explain to someone whose whole life is far away that they should just pack up and go.  I do not feel that my life is in danger here, or that of my GF.  I have lived here through the 2010 protests and Coup as well as the 2014 protests and Coup.  The Covid response and handling is just another component now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

They should have suspended the lottery,  as they did last year. Yesterday, I saw dozens of people crowding around lottery ticket sellers, with the usual chatting and shouting. Hardly essential.

Ohh no, people chatting I can't  believe it..  Unbelievable. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

2 phone calls today on that subject as well, and not understanding why I am choosing to stay here.  Hard to explain to someone whose whole life is far away that they should just pack up and go.  I do not feel that my life is in danger here, or that of my GF.  I have lived here through the 2010 protests and Coup as well as the 2014 protests and Coup.  The Covid response and handling is just another component now.

It seems like many people are getting out of Bangkok, we got a booking for our condo from yesterday with a woman that lives in BKK and she told me a lot of her friends have done the same, She did the Sandbox I think she was worried BKK goes into complete lock down,

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:
41 minutes ago, club said:

The US government proved their loyalty to us by not sending vaccines to ALL Americans (9 million) living and working in other countries , but I do have many family members asking me when i am coming home 

2 phone calls today on that subject as well, and not understanding why I am choosing to stay here.

One of the advantages of no longer having any non-estranged family members back in the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

With two days slightly lower, you dare to ask yourself if we have seen the peak, or if it was just less testing over the weekend?

Or possibly it could be a stall before another barrier of 20,000 per Day has to be published.

There was a stall of several days prior to the barrier of 10,000 cases per Day being published, only a couple of weeks ago.

If the cases are indeed 20,000,publish that fact, nothing is going to change by holding back the reported numbers.

They are what they are sadly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Another quiet day for news. 

Have just returned from a shopping trip and surprised to see this thread still on page 2.

Think some (myself included) bit jaded by the figures. Meaning doubts about their veracity. 

Aren't the positives taken from walk ins and samples from known clusters along with prisons. 

Not really random sample.

Edited by DrJack54

The two-week extension of the lockdown period and expansion of the "dark red" zone to cover 29 provinces would cost the economy around THB300-400 billion due to lost economic activities, the Thai Chamber of Commerce said on Sunday

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004077

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think some (myself included) bit jaded by the figures. Meaning doubts about their veracity. 

Aren't the positives taken from walk ins and samples from known clusters along with prisons. 

Not really random sample.

I look at it like it is groundhog day, when yet we do suspect the numbers are higher because of a lack of testing and then could it be the weekend effect, who knows.  To see the numbers on ventilators, the deaths, and all of the people on the streets who have been evicted, as well as all of the construction sites running full tilt and traffic like normal, the question is what is really going on.  Up country the numbers are shooting skyward......

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Whats unbelievable is missing out the point he made:

"dozens of people crowding around lottery ticket sellers, with the usual chatting and shouting. Hardly essential."

But crucially, are they speaking in English though?  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisonescalante/2020/09/08/why-speaking-english-may-spread-more-coronavirus-than-other-languages/?sh=59112d2f6eea

• Haha 1