DIT says no need to stock up on commodities

snoop1130

Just come from Tops. I never saw so many eggs there. There was only one problem. They cost about twice as much as normally. Do the chicken have to work harder now? The government should regulate the prices again. If I remember correctly we had this last year for a while. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Indeed ever since the there will be no flooding and my house got flooded I have little faith in Thai governments as i recall you were in the same boat.

NO way that i trust a Thai government again.

There will be no flooding!  Honest.
There are plenty of vaccines of every type for everyone.  Honest.
All Thais will be able to grow six cannabis plants at home just like any other herb.  Honest.
The watches belong to a dead friend.  Honest.
The guy in the Ferrari who killed the cop wasn't speeding.  Honest.
.....There are no shortages of goods.  Honest.

See, the government has used up its social capital long ago. When you get caught in successive lies, people stop believing everything you say. I know that from talking with my wife. 

From shopping yesterday I can agree that there are no shortages for most items.
The better approach would be to truthfully lay out where shortages exist, why they exist, and what the government game plan is.  And the government could always but caps on certain goods like eggs.  We ARE still under Emergency Edicts.

So if this latest pronouncement becomes just another lie? (or a self-fulfilling prophesy)

I'm a Westerner and we collectively seem to have the ability to look into the future and see the paths of multiple possibilities as well as to assess their probability of happening.  Keep this up and the Thai public will be assessing "news" the same way Soviet citizen's assessed Pravda: Whatever they say, turn it 180 degrees around and you'll have factually reality.  Members of my own Thai family are already there (complete distrust and very unhappy), and they say most of the public are too. 
Personally I'd rather not have the Soviet scarcity of goods as the government panics the public because the public no longer believes its government.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the talks between the department and malls, the top commodities seeing high demand are meat, eggs, and instant noodles.

Prices have been soaring. Betagro chicken breasts are ten baht from doubling in price over the past five weeks. (This in Foodland)  Some imported items gone for weeks. Haven't seen the Mainland Tasty cheese in more than a month, although the Vintage just keeps sitting there getting more and more vintage. Not bothered too much, as I can easily do without the imported foods. Happy to buy local, except for the prices. Would hate to be farang who cannot eat Thai food.

Edited by John Drake

16 hours ago, Tony125 said:

People are stocking up because with 20,000 cases of Covid reported today they don't want to go outside to shop so will buy as much as they can afford so as not to make repeated trips for supplies.

Same thing happened in the UK. People stockpiled despite being told it was unnecessary for a while but things soon returned to normal but with higher prices. 

mmhhh ..no shortage in Pattaya. Have been yesterday in Friendship.. bought Cheese for 320 baht/kg .. bought Haribo .. and ..and ..and .. bought Aspargus for 80 Baht / kg .. eggs still same price at the market ... I have seen no increase at chicken or pork meat .. no increase at price of rice .. so I am really wondering