DIT says no need to stock up on commodities

snoop1130

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the talks between the department and malls, the top commodities seeing high demand are meat, eggs, and instant noodles.

'Cause that's all that many can afford now...

• Like 1

I have noticed that Subway has just increased the prices for all sandwiches. I wonder if anyone speaks english if I dial 1569?

This monday around 6 pm I tried to order dinner from Foodpanda, but 23 out of 24 restaurants in my search were temporarily closed. Some would maybe re-open later, some would re-open next morning and some would not re-open until friday. It is no longer possible to eat what you crave. You have to settle with what you are able to find.

Screenshot 2021-08-02 140639.png

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pib said:

And it's not because of big crowds as the crowds are small.  It's just certain products are not available as normal for restock due to the lockdown and how it affects the production & delivery of goods.

There is another very important factor - car pickup and home delivery - they likely account for most buying these days so it is indeed total demand rather than just cash register customers making the shelfs empty - and once that eases they will be full again as happened last year.  There are minor delivery and production issues of course but the demand had been huge this last week - home delivery that normally was same or next day often a week in future from Lotus/Tops.

• Like 2

My local Lotus's has been out of eggs and chicken the last 2 times I went in there. Quite a few other empty shelves as well. Probably due to a combination of issues. Mainly, Covid related issues within the food industry, but also some hoarding/stockpiling from selfish customers who grab everything they see on the shelf and therefore cause supply and logistical issues for the shops. 

It's kind of a vicious circle, the first set of selfish hoarders empty the shelves which leads to others seeing empty shelves, panicking about a perceived lack of food and then buying as much as they can as well. And on it goes. If everyone remained calm and stuck to their normal habits these issues would be minimal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only appreciable difference I find in my weekly shop at Big C is that they are a little slow to replenish some items, mainly stuff that has to travel north to south, such as potatoes. But I still see some people with a trolley (cart) full of toilet rolls, that would last me a decade. They must eat a lot of spicy food. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pib said:

All I know is what I see in the groceries section of stores like Lotus, Big C, etc., and what I see is "lots" of empty shelves and out of stock stickers.  And it's not because of big crowds as the crowds are small.  It's just certain products are not available as normal for restock due to the lockdown and how it affects the production & delivery of goods.

In the north ,Lotus and Mackro are still well stocked but their prices have gone up on a lot of products. So the staff are kept very busy as jobs are hard to find up here.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Government says "no need", therefore it's definitely time to stock up on commodities.

Indeed ever since the there will be no flooding and my house got flooded I have little faith in Thai governments as i recall you were in the same boat.

NO way that i trust a Thai government again.

• Like 2

Perhaps if our dearly beloved Cretin-in-Chief hadn't started threatening the country with a Wuhan-style lockdown, with people completely forbidden from leaving their homes and the military delivering food and water supplies to them (yeah, like that's going to work just fine!), then they wouldn't feel any need to stock up with supplies in case said Cretin-in-Chief throws another hissy fit and follows through on his threat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

My local Lotus's has been out of eggs

Here all gone at Makro.

Now a sign saying max 5 pallets per cart.

Most of meat sold out at Lotus.

Here the fresh markets have been closed for Covid infection.

So not much surprising that even more customers run to the big players.

And the billionaires are flooded with more billions.

• Like 1

This is exactly how to start a panic.  Went shopping yesterday and noticed that milk products where rather sparse and some items of meat, specifically beef.  My first thought wasn't, "OMG I NEED A TRUCK LOAD OF TOILET PAPER, but simply perhaps the supply chain is effected by Covid cases somewhere. 

But roll out a freaking "government expert" to explain to the people - "DON'T PANIC"  the first thing they'll think is "PANIC."  Why?  The people who claim they are the purveyors of Truth have a reputation for lying and the public knows it.

Whatever, we're stocked for at least two months.  And no, we're not panic buying.  I've been keeping our stocks at home so we can survive two months of stupidity be it what it may.  Like a government induced panic and run and goods.

• Like 1