Thailand bans sunscreen in its national parks

webfact

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This current administration is infamous for pledges, declarations, proclamations, silly laws, and promises. Few are even remembered, much less followed up upon two weeks later.

Still need to be called out for the stupidity of their absurd laws. Coral is now much more important than protecting humans from Sunstroke  , skin cancer or hospitalisation from being cooked. Of course if people dying or very ill from Covid doesn't bother them why would they care ! Beyond comprehension , as usual. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, samtam said:

Exactly how are they going to enforce this ban?

Exactly. How will they know if a person is actually wearing sunscreen?  Trained dog or invent some sort of scan?

• Haha 2

Somehow I would think efforts to control raw sewage, chemical waste and plastic waste in thailand pose far greater threats to the environment/marine life than  sunscreen….

Low hanging fruit…I would be fine with it but I know thailand is doing a terrible job in protecting their environment from the above hazards….so prioritize and regulate/enforce the other hazards b/f you get to sunscreen…

never confuse activity with achievement is my motto….

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shuya said:

So the holiday in Thailand now comes with Covid AND skin cancer. Nice. 

They can try to improve the coral, but no one will come to see it. Are they going to run around sniffing visitors to detect sunscreen. Maybe some trained sunscreen sniffer dogs. Slap some 100K fines on tourists for wearing sunscreen and it will be on every news channel around the globe LOL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geovalin said:

Hawaii and a lot of other islands / states in Pacific Ocean but also Mexico took the same measure.

Others will follow.

This is a good decision.

Bravo

The main problem with all these rules is:

They do not really improve environmental protection a lot,

concentrating on minor issues,

and distract from the main issues.

A good example for this are the rules in some African countries, like Kenya, prohibiting the use of any plastic bags in your luggage and checked by customs upon entry:

The main problem for ocean life is micro-plastics.

And the main polluter are the antifoulings of big sea ships.

Any laws in Kenya against those? - of cause not, money rules...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Does this also include National Parks in the Northern Mountains where you cannot even see the sea from the top of the Mountain ?

Probably, these fikwhits will be cancelling three meals a day soon so why not reduce breathing to once every minute, makes as much bludy sense

I guess that's good.

I do know that the run off from agriculture land is a culprit with the overuse of  "banned" pesticides.

I usually put it on before I leave my resorts room.

Edited by MrJ2U

20 minutes ago, Bernietravelling said:

The main problem with all these rules is:

They do not really improve environmental protection a lot,

concentrating on minor issues,

and distract from the main issues.

A good example for this are the rules in some African countries, like Kenya, prohibiting the use of any plastic bags in your luggage and checked by customs upon entry:

The main problem for ocean life is micro-plastics.

And the main polluter are the antifoulings of big sea ships.

Any laws in Kenya against those? - of cause not, money rules...

The main problem for coral is not plastic or sunscreen. Higher water temperature kills corals. 1 °C above average can kill it. In 2016-2017 they estimated 29 - 50% of Great Barrier Reef's coral died (bleached), and that water is very clean.

Hell. I would just set up a stand with tanning lotions that do not have those chemicals at the beach and make a killing. That is whenever it opens again. Although I’m pretty sure they already have that covered by the local people promoting special Thai sunscreens. 

• Like 1