Thailand bans sunscreen in its national parks

webfact

18 minutes ago, Sig said:

You devolved (or maybe it's just your natural state) into making personal insults over something that is apparently too difficult for you to grasp and you only seem able to lash out rather than just let it pass. People like you are exactly what the problem is with how social media is abused and ends up being destructive to society rather than uplifting. Get a life and learn how to respect other people. I know the site won't ban you, but I imagine there's a way that I can block toxic imbeciles... if there is, I'll definitely take advantage of being free from toxic egotistical fools here.

If you’re working on your cell phone then go to Account…click….at the bottom of the drop down you’ll see Ignored Users…click and follow easy instructions! Subject can see what you write but you don’t ever have to read his replies!

You'll find it such a relief ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sig said:

You devolved (or maybe it's just your natural state) into making personal insults over something that is apparently too difficult for you to grasp and you only seem able to lash out rather than just let it pass. People like you are exactly what the problem is with how social media is abused and ends up being destructive to society rather than uplifting. Get a life and learn how to respect other people. I know the site won't ban you, but I imagine there's a way that I can block toxic imbeciles... if there is, I'll definitely take advantage of being free from toxic egotistical fools here.

QED

On 8/5/2021 at 12:12 AM, Boedog said:

Another brainstorm, the fact that Thailand is number 6 in the World for mismanaged plastics in the ocean there time and resources can be better spent fixing the bigger problems rather than banning people from wearing sunscreen ridiculous.

Amazing Thailand 

the problem of Sunscreen on reefs is VERY big. thousands of tons are deposited on the Great Barrier Reef and the place is in danger of losing it's WH status.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:06 AM, KannikaP said:

Dark skinned people can also get skin cancer from the sun.

when your skin starts to produce more melanin, it means that regardless of skin colour it is responding to damage that has already occurred. Enough of this damage can lead to skin cancers of various kinds - some are fatal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kanada said:

If you’re working on your cell phone then go to Account…click….at the bottom of the drop down you’ll see Ignored Users…click and follow easy instructions! Subject can see what you write but you don’t ever have to read his replies!

You'll find it such a relief ????

Thanks.
Yes, you're right. And I'll likely use it to clean up what I see from other toxic individuals that likely have no friends in real life and nobody left to abuse, so they shift to the internet to display their antisocial behavior. Can you imagine that these people actually could talk to somebody face to face like this? It is really unfathomable. I think it's likely they don't in real life or they'd be missing too many teeth! So their real personality is let loose online... ????

12 hours ago, Sig said:

Thanks.
Yes, you're right. And I'll likely use it to clean up what I see from other toxic individuals that likely have no friends in real life and nobody left to abuse, so they shift to the internet to display their antisocial behavior. Can you imagine that these people actually could talk to somebody face to face like this? It is really unfathomable. I think it's likely they don't in real life or they'd be missing too many teeth! So their real personality is let loose online... ????

It’s just too difficult to deal with these people…..they leave a mark and life is too short!

I’m no angel….I don’t suffer fools or bullies easily as the saying goes…so when someone shows me they aren’t a person I could ever associate with face to face they’re gone! I have six on my Ignored List now that never once improved my day or my outlook on life!

(my wife says I am probably on ???? Ignored Lists)

**Certain individuals in life make us all look at our own manners (online and off) and hopefully we change for the better????

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, Thunglom said:

the problem of Sunscreen on reefs is VERY big. thousands of tons are deposited on the Great Barrier Reef and the place is in danger of losing it's WH status.

Sorry l thought the article was about Thailand

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Boedog said:

Sorry l thought the article was about Thailand

Yes - it is about the legislation or dictum concerning the banning of sunscreen.

You have tried to make a false dichotomy by suggesting it isn't a big problem and we should forget this and concentrate on another eco-problems

However, your premise that it isn't a big problem is false. This is shown by information from the Great Barrier Reef in Oz where the damage to reefs by sunscreen has been monitored, quantified and shown - and in the process the quantity of particles deposited by tourism has been calculated.

Thailand is notoriously bad at gathering and collating statistics pertaining to environment and conservation, so it would seem to be a good idea to look elsewhere to see how serious these problems can be.

Thailand at its peak had over 40 million tourists, a large proportion of whom visit the marine national parks there and logically the effects can safely be compared to that of visitors on other reefs around the world where more careful, scientific monitoring has taken place.

In many issues including wildlife and conservation, Thailand fails to take advice from outside the Kingdom. This is to their own cost....they ignore this information at their peril.

The fact that they have just relied on a sudden dictum reinforces the impression that the problem here hasn't been sufficiently researched nor has the methodology for it's implementation.

This will result in poor enforcement, disgruntled tourists and continued damage. It is unfortunate that you like so many Thai officials choose to ignore the helpful information that is really available from other countries and therefore don't act on it appropriately

14 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Yes - it is about the legislation or dictum concerning the banning of sunscreen.

You have tried to make a false dichotomy by suggesting it isn't a big problem and we should forget this and concentrate on another eco-problems

However, your premise that it isn't a big problem is false. This is shown by information from the Great Barrier Reef in Oz where the damage to reefs by sunscreen has been monitored, quantified and shown - and in the process the quantity of particles deposited by tourism has been calculated.

Thailand is notoriously bad at gathering and collating statistics pertaining to environment and conservation, so it would seem to be a good idea to look elsewhere to see how serious these problems can be.

Thailand at its peak had over 40 million tourists, a large proportion of whom visit the marine national parks there and logically the effects can safely be compared to that of visitors on other reefs around the world where more careful, scientific monitoring has taken place.

In many issues including wildlife and conservation, Thailand fails to take advice from outside the Kingdom. This is to their own cost....they ignore this information at their peril.

The fact that they have just relied on a sudden dictum reinforces the impression that the problem here hasn't been sufficiently researched nor has the methodology for it's implementation.

This will result in poor enforcement, disgruntled tourists and continued damage. It is unfortunate that you like so many Thai officials choose to ignore the helpful information that is really available from other countries and therefore don't act on it appropriately

Well aren't you quite the wordsmith, and l didn't say it wasn't a problem l said they have bigger problems with there don't care attitude and total disregard for the environment with the amount of plastics and rubbish they are happy to dump anywhere or haven't you noticed, and the tourists haven't been coming due to Covid or haven't you noticed that either, dictate that Kevin or is it Karen

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Boedog said:

Well aren't you quite the wordsmith, and l didn't say it wasn't a problem l said they have bigger problems with there don't care attitude and total disregard for the environment with the amount of plastics and rubbish they are happy to dump anywhere or haven't you noticed, and the tourists haven't been coming due to Covid or haven't you noticed that either, dictate that Kevin or is it Karen

"resources can be better spent fixing the bigger problems rather than banning people from wearing sunscreen ridiculous." ...

your first statement indicates you don't understand the extent of damage caused by sunscreens and nano-particles it would seem it's not to be dismissed.

Then when I explained how this problem has been addressed elsewhere you said "Sorry l thought the article was about Thailand" - the implication appears to be that looking elsewhere for aid information was a waste of time or off topic.

I would beg to differ.

It would appear you still aren't aware of how big the problem is or that they are already trying to address the plastics problem and theses issues don't have to be dealt with one at a time - a false dichotomy, I'd say.

Te fact that foreign tourist are not comeimg or that the parks in many places have been closed doesn't really seem that relevant. surely it's best that the DNP prepares in advance for the return of tourism

It is my strongly held belief that the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation is pretty incompetent and that this measure has not been thought out or introduced correctly - ...I also believe that like many issues in DNP it has been ignored for too long and management and funding are not up to the job.

However if Thailand is ever to successfully preserve their natural resources they need to buck up their ideas do proper research and get better informed - a bit like you?