Thailand bans sunscreen in its national parks

webfact

1 hour ago, geovalin said:

Hawaii and a lot of other islands / states in Pacific Ocean but also Mexico took the same measure.

Others will follow.

This is a good decision.

Bravo

No, Hawaii bans it only in maritime parks. It’s fine in Volcano Natl Park. And only a certain type of sunscreen is restricted. Some are safe for reefs and are allowed in the water. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alant said:

I doubt if  I will be wearing any sunscreen in the National Parks around Chiang Mai anytime as they are closed to help stop the spread of Covid.

yeah those outdoor  space s must be a  spreading haven for covid, forget rammed  full  bts  trains and such  like.

• Like 2

To be serious for a moment:

A long time ago I made holiday in the Maldives. At that time they collected all the waste on one island and then transported it to another island and dumped it there.

And as "fanny" as that might be, on each island people used washing powder, soap, cleaning fluids and obviously sunscreen. And all that ended up in the water and is destroying the corals.

So basically the idea of banning sunscreen is in itself not such a bad idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well you will now see women as they are without makeup since most makeups and face creams have some type of sunscreen additive in them. Funny how they get all made up to take photos out in the water and on the beach.

Sun screens even full block ones never worked for me when riding my motorcycles. But to see women without makeup now that would be a story to tell your kids.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Sun screens even full block ones never worked for me when riding my motorcycles. But to see women without makeup now that would be a story to tell your kids.

My missis doesn't put any make up on these days unless going out. Just a layer of sunscreen!   

But we never go to National Parks in principle, because they charge ME twice as much as her.   LOL

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Once more this will only affect white skinned tourists, those they try to eliminate from the "Land of the free" [AHs].

Oh, baloney. Thais use tons of sunscreen and whiteners. There's much more stigma in Thai society associated with dark skin. Sunscreen would be a lot harder to find in stores if it was just us using it. 

Add me to the list of people who approve of this policy. It's 100% appropriate for the National Parks to give priority to preserving natural resources. It's time people got over the attitude of, "Save the environment? Not if it inconveniences me! Not if I have to change one habit! Not if I have to buy a different product!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand’s ban on sunscreens with chemicals harmful to corals begins Wednesday

francesco-ungaro-NMqoJxkMQJQ-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Francesco Ungaro on Unsplash

Thailand’s ban on the use of sunscreen, containing any of four chemicals deemed to be harmful to coral reefs in the country’s national parks, came into effect today (Wednesday), according to an announcement by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation published on the Royal Gazette’s website yesterday.

The banned chemicals are Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, 4MBC and Butylparaben. Violators can be fined up to 100,000 baht.

Studies have shown that these chemicals, found in as many as 3,500 brands of sunscreen, can damage the corals’ reproduction system and lead to coral bleaching.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-ban-on-sunscreens-with-chemicals-harmful-to-corals-begins-wednesday/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Start by banning the sales of harmful sunscreens, But no , they wouldn't consider that.

Maybe the National Parks Department doesn't have that much political authority. I credit them with showing leadership on the issue, in the areas under their authority. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s ban on sunscreens with chemicals harmful to corals begins Wednesday

francesco-ungaro-NMqoJxkMQJQ-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Francesco Ungaro on Unsplash

Thailand’s ban on the use of sunscreen, containing any of four chemicals deemed to be harmful to coral reefs in the country’s national parks, came into effect today (Wednesday), according to an announcement by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation published on the Royal Gazette’s website yesterday.

The banned chemicals are Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, 4MBC and Butylparaben. Violators can be fined up to 100,000 baht.

Studies have shown that these chemicals, found in as many as 3,500 brands of sunscreen, can damage the corals’ reproduction system and lead to coral bleaching.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-ban-on-sunscreens-with-chemicals-harmful-to-corals-begins-wednesday/

Logo-top-.png

I wonder how many of the sunscreens containing those chemicals are manufactured in Thailand and distributed natioanlly and internationally?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

Oh my god... I am going to get a very bad sunburn next time I visit Koh Chang.

No just buy some skin protection withouth those chemicals in it. Or try using longsleeved sunpotection, hats and sunglasses 

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My missis doesn't put any make up on these days unless going out. Just a layer of sunscreen!   

But we never go to National Parks in principle, because they charge ME twice as much as her.   LOL

Only twice, you must be well connected. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, PEE TEE said:

How about putting a ban on exhaust emictions is that not also damaging tp people and the environment. the black smoke brigade is on the roads    

False equivalence 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bstafford214 said:

Have studies been done in the world somewhere about sunscreen chemicals damaging coral?

Not heard anything about it, but how did Thailand come up with this one?

Just asking!

Yes there are studies about chemical impact on the corals of the world, along with many other impacts on the environment 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

Have studies been done in the world somewhere about sunscreen chemicals damaging coral?

Not heard anything about it, but how did Thailand come up with this one?

Just asking!

Plenty of studies out there.

Just google sunscreen damage on coral reefs

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Does this also include National Parks in the Northern Mountains where you cannot even see the sea from the top of the Mountain ?

Only if you intend to base jump and hope to find water.