Something strange happening to Thai banks deposit protection starting soon

KannikaP... It says, "DPA offers protection to both Thai and foreign individuals and juristic persons who hold accounts in the Thai currency in any of 35 financial institutions"  So, it doesn't seem like it would affect other currencies, but that would be worth sussing out for sure.

Edited by Galong
add name
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This has been planned for quite a while, still it's bad timing, think I'll keep my balances below 1m

I really don't have a choice. 800k plus a 20k buffer is all I can do at the moment. Real estate rich, cash meh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This has been planned for quite a while, still it's bad timing, think I'll keep my balances below 1m

It has happened before too.  Yeah, alas, everything seems to be 'bad timing' these days.

Maybe not direct related , but beware Thailand should sign in to the OECD "club" before end August 2021 or become on a certain list ...

& look at this  part in pdf 

JURISDICTIONS UNDERTAKING FIRST EXCHANGES BY 2023 (3) (2022 first tests...) , 2023 money reporting starting 

Common Reporting Standard: Potential Impacts on Financial Institutions in Thailand and Residents (globalcompliancenews.com)

OECD AEOI-Commitments 2023 Thailand start.pdf

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chivas said:

You could have a protection scheme of just 200,000 or 20 million but you know damn its not worth the paper its written on when push comes to shove

probably ok for 1 or 2 banks folding but if many get into crisis then I can see the protection stalling

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I wonder what applies to Foreign Currency Accounts.

Last sentence in the article says,

“Protection will only be provided to accounts in the baht currency. In case a financial institution gets its licence revoked, the account holder will get their money back within the sum covered within 30 days,”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tonray said:

Can't spend the 800K (or at least 50% of it) or you 'invalidate' your extension. It's a ridiculous set of rules to try and prevent scammers sharing the same 800K when in all reality the scamming going on is from agents and officers of the Immigration department.

Don't you just have to have the 800k in two months prior to applying for your extension?

Similar to the family extension with 400k?

12 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes when the big crash comes these "protections" mean nothing, not even in the West.

The FDIC protection in the US has never failed. 

In Thailand, the great baht crisis of 1997 is why almost all average Thais keep their savings in gold under their beds instead of in banks. Banks are used to facillitate transactions but the savings (if any) are kept in gold. I'm sitting right next to the GF's stash....I should weigh it someday...ha ha ha ha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

In theory on your first 90day report you must show still 800,000 baht in the bank and on your next renewal show that it did not drop below 400,000 for the whole year. Married extension once granted you can spend the lot.

I guess the assumption is you can sponge off the wife and Mia Noi(s) if you're married ?

• Confused 1