Thai Bank Deposit protection cut to 1 million THB

snoop1130

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

To me it means few things, *Don't bring your money to us, we don't want it, *We're not good enough to guard it and be responsible for your money, and last but not least, *Saving with banks is a bad idea, keep your money under your mattress it's safer there...

To my thinking it is the flip side. Because national debt is heading up to GDP levels, the potential tipping point, their thinking could be people may reduce their borrowings thus reducing the risk of the next Thai financial collapse. Who knows????????????????????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lodstewart said:

the insurance companies are smelling some big risk I suspect, That can only mean one or more Banks are looking 'wobbly'

get it out and buy physical gold and hide it away somewhere safe,  anyone agree ?

Just keep the biggest bulk of your money in your home country bank and keep enough money here in Thailand for your living expenses. If you want to apply for retirement extensions, use an agent and forget this 800.000Baht in your bank nonsense, don't be a member of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Sir you must be joking.......When it was planned does not change anything..

1 million baht is a tiny tiny amount of money when it comes to running a business, life savings, investing, retirement etc....Its VERY OMINOUS...

What saver could know everything about a banks operation? No one can know everything.....

Even 5 million is way to little but 1 million is just laughable....

Well I guess that's it for investing in Thailand for many.....

Do you have first hand knowledge or proof of this ominous event?

If you are so worried about this

ominous event then recommend you analyse your financial risk and the institutions who hold your savings and distribute your savings into different banks. You will be covered.

You do realise your savings in the bank do not belong to you but that you have made an unsecured loan to the bank.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, itsari said:

It can happen . At the present time the outlook is not good for Thai banks 

Perhaps you can provide links/statistics to evidence this claim - and perhaps highlight any capital deficiencies in any specific Thai bank may be suffering. Maybe also evidence the Bank of Thailand shortcomings that make you think that they could not honour a 1m Baht deposit guarantee scheme.

I'll wait.

• Like 2

Would my thinking be so wrong  to consider that given the Thai Baht has fallen quickly and is likely to continue to decline that for those very wealthy who probably have significant offshore holdings would be inclined to now buy back into Baht to utilize property purchases at a time of a depressed local market combined with the advantage of the exchange rates?

For the vast numbers who possess nothing but debt the insurance providers to Banks will dictate more stringent criteria for further loans to minimize risk.

The Government protection level has been progressively reduced over many years and although this latest final decrease has been deferred more than once it is unlikely to impact on the majority even now.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Heng said:

That's a confidence booster.   Will move the appropriate amounts offshore, which I assume is their "goal" here.

In a way, I'm happy that I'm not rich, then I don't have that kind of problems to deal with...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here a clear explanation ....and not too long to read  what go happen in case ....and also foreigners  specified ,

and by my understanding the foreign accounts are excluded .... by-by money in such case 

https://www.dpa.or.th/en/articles/view/who-is-protected

Edited by david555

14 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Would my thinking be so wrong  to consider that given the Thai Baht has fallen quickly and is likely to continue to decline that for those very wealthy who probably have significant offshore holdings would be inclined to now buy back into Baht to utilize property purchases at a time of a depressed local market combined with the advantage of the exchange rates?

For the vast numbers who possess nothing but debt the insurance providers to Banks will dictate more stringent criteria for further loans to minimize risk.

The Government protection level has been progressively reduced over many years and although this latest final decrease has been deferred more than once it is unlikely to impact on the majority even now.

The guarantee is lowered from 5 million baht to one millin, is 5 million baht that what you consider as "rich"..?????

The for many of us farangs - and presumable also the tourist industry, if there were any tourists - little weaker baht is rather caused by the national dept has increased from 42 percent of GNP to just over 50 percent of GNP due to Covid-loans, and that the interest rate was lowered from 1.5 percent to 0.5 percent, and in general the financial situation due to lockdowns; i.e. the Thai stock market is also declining at the moment. Last time we had nice "cheap" bahts was under the former more democratic elected government, where the national dept was about 48 percent of GNP...????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

In a way, I'm happy that I'm not rich, then I don't have that kind of problems to deal with...????

It's all relative.   Surely you want to preserve your nest egg/reserves/etc. whatever its size.   So even if you only have 500 Euros or dollars in some checking account somewhere,.... you have an 'offshore stash.'   ???? 

59 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Perhaps you can provide links/statistics to evidence this claim - and perhaps highlight any capital deficiencies in any specific Thai bank may be suffering. Maybe also evidence the Bank of Thailand shortcomings that make you think that they could not honour a 1m Baht deposit guarantee scheme.

I'll wait.

Time will provide the evidence needed . No bank will advertise there difficulties . They will hide the truth as long as possible

I have not mentioned the Bank of Thailand has shortcomings to honour the reduced bank guarantee from five million to one million .

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

Do you have first hand knowledge or proof of this ominous event?

If you are so worried about this

ominous event then recommend you analyse your financial risk and the institutions who hold your savings and distribute your savings into different banks. You will be covered.

You do realise your savings in the bank do not belong to you but that you have made an unsecured loan to the bank.

The banks  have a obligation to pay on demand .

• Like 1