Thai Bank Deposit protection cut to 1 million THB

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, Heng said:

That's a confidence booster.   Will move the appropriate amounts offshore, which I assume is their "goal" here.

It's really neither here or there, as most Thai circles of wealth is stored and accumulated elsewhere. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fangless said:

This is not sudden.  It was announced sometime ago!

Yes I believe it was a multi-step process. Nevertheless it seems counter productive and will persuade people to limit their cash deposits... and they don't make it easy to have multiple accounts at different banks. I have to keep 800k for my retirement extension, leaving me 200,000 to live on.... hardly makes sense. I may want to self insure for a million as well, and that money is now less secure?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes I believe it was a multi-step process. Nevertheless it seems counter productive and will persuade people to limit their cash deposits... and they don't make it easy to have multiple accounts at different banks. I have to keep 800k for my retirement extension, leaving me 200,000 to live on.... hardly makes sense. I may want to self insure for a million as well, and that money is now less secure?

I'll look after it for you if it helps..................?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scrotobike said:

I think most Thais (certainly in Issan) are not affected - only the HiSo and other of their ilk. They dream of 1m Bhat.

Try buying land off them in Isan and that 1m or 2m baht comes out

there gob's so quick,  2 rai 2m family friend,  ha ha

2 rai 2m baht next door neighbor, what a laugh.

Building on family land for free. not worth investing to much money in Thailand now days.

BTW.  All non Thai Hiso's, just want to be HiSo's.

same same, but same. !!!!!!LOL.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Confused 3