Big Joke's work will continue - deputy commander position puts him at the top table

Jonathan Fairfield

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

RTP spokesman Pol Maj-Gen Yingyos Thepjamnong commented after a meeting via video conference chaired by the Thai PM Prayuth Chan-ocha concerned with  police appointments. 

General Wirachai Songmetta has returned to his position as deputy commissioner.

He was rapped on the knuckles by former police chief Gen Chakthip Chaijinda over the leaking of a phone conversation regarding Lt-Gen Surachate Hakpan.

The former chief of the Immigration Bureau and now special advisor working on police reform asked for obstacles to his work to be removed as they were affecting its progress and his own up the police ladder.

In response to this a deputy commissioner role has also been created for Surachate, also known by his moniker of Big Joke, INN reported. 

The move marks the continued rehabilitation of the famous policeman after his abrupt and still unexplained fall from grace several years ago that saw him initially shuffling paper at the PM's office. 

Surachate had been a critic of the IB's 2 billion baht Biometrics system, had tried to stop tips being handed out to immigration staff and was involved in an incident in which two men on a motorcycle shot up his car in the Surawong area of Bangkok. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

unexplained fall from grace

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Surachate had been a critic of the IB's 2 billion baht Biometrics system, had tried to stop tips being handed out to immigration staff and was involved in an incident in which two men on a motorcycle shot up his car in the Surawong area of Bangkok. 

Getting warmer....

• Like 1

Really, really bad idea, from an administration that seems to embrace the very concept of bad ideas, and cannot get out of it's own way. They just cannot resist shooting themselves in the foot. Wirachai has always been a trouble maker, he is an extreme xenophobe, and a tiny, tiny man who was fired for very good reasons way back when. Once a failure always a failure in his case. No room for reform in his game. 

The only thing that comes to mind, is this group of goons is accustomed to picking from the bottom of the barrel, so hence the presence of this goombah again. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I never really had a problem with this guy. He was essentially doing the job he was supposed to be doing.

However he was becoming an inconvenience to other high ranking people which culminated in him arresting  someone's girlfriend as I recall.

His downfall followed rapidly after that. 

"arresting someone's girlfriend" is that a nice way of saying $$$$$$$?

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The former chief of the Immigration Bureau and now special advisor working on police reform asked for obstacles to his work to be removed as they were affecting its progress and his own up the police ladder.

I think promotion is the least of his troubles... 

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The move marks the continued rehabilitation of the famous policeman after his abrupt and still unexplained fall from grace several years ago that saw him initially shuffling paper at the PM's office. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

who was fired for very good reasons way back when.

What are the "very good reasons" he was fired?  How come only you seem to know when everyone else claims not to know the reason?

7 minutes ago, NightSky said:

not only that.. 

...the post-it on the left is his shopping list!

Just be careful you don't end up on any of his lists, or it will be bye bye. 

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

No better way for ”obstacles to removed” and “progress up the ladder” ensured than a big shiny truckload of cash.

19 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

We have big Joke, big Aud etc. I wonder when sergeant Kok, Dik or Ham will get promoted? 

If you go to China you can get Big Hahnging Scrow Tum.

I recall Mr Joke as being branded untrustworthy because he didn't line his pockets, or at least not as much to liable himself.  I wish him well (I think) and he and his family should live in a safe place.

Looking for a movie to watch this weekend?  I suggest Serpico

Edited by bendejo

16 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Oh boy!

This is the guy who made tons of more archaic rules and hoops to jump through during his short reign at immigration.

Where... in Bangkok?

Maybe so, but in Chiang Mai he made noticeable improvements immediately upon arrival.

Regrettably they ended as soon as he was removed from his position as head of CM Immigration.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, seajae said:

last thing the top people want is someone doing the right thing and stopping their back hander/bonus payments, soon as they saw their financial profits dropping off they removed him, the corruption in Thailand runs deep and no one is allowed to slow it down

Surely he has been tamed and won't be getting up to his old tricks now.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Deputy Joke at your service now to the urgent matter of who filled my car with wholes a few years ago????

That I'm sure he is well of, but no rush - let them sweat for awhile as revenge is sweet...... 

I can't celebrate the return of anyone who attempts to stop the practice of "tips" to IO officials. Brown envelopes are the reason I can continue to stay here without a local bank account. I want the option of buying privilege. 

• Haha 1