Does Latest Red Line to DMK Allow you to connect to BTS?

gk10012001

I have tried to look at BTS maps, mass transit maps, utube videos etc.  but I can not tell if one can now take the BTS, connect to a few lines, and then get to DMK, similar to how one can take the BTS to the rail link that gets you to BKK.   As best I can see, that big new station will connect to the MRT, but not the BTS.  Can somebody clarify this for me?  Thanks

There's no direct connection. 

Red Line=>Bang Sue, Blue Line=>Chatuchak Park => connect to the BTS (Mo Chit).

The Red Line is currently trial-running, it's free but the train times are not guaranteed.

100066.thumb.jpg.131050b34620a029cff87f4d064b0d30.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There's no direct connection. 

Red Line=>Bang Sue, Blue Line=>Chatuchak Park => connect to the BTS (Mo Chit).

The Red Line is currently trial-running, it's free but the train times are not guaranteed.

100066.thumb.jpg.131050b34620a029cff87f4d064b0d30.jpg

I did not mean a direct connection.  I just want to know if I can take different BTS lines to get to DMK.  What I have read seems to say one has to take the MRT.

2 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I did not mean a direct connection.  I just want to know if I can take different BTS lines to get to DMK.  What I have read seems to say one has to take the MRT.

Neither the MRT nor the BTS go to Don Mueang.

The only trains that go there are the Red Line and the regular SRT.

The BTS does run past DMK but it's on the wrong side for the airport.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Neither the MRT nor the BTS go to Don Mueang.

The only trains that go there are the Red Line and the regular SRT.

The BTS does run past DMK but it's on the wrong side for the airport.

we are talking past each other.  What is the Red line called?  How does one get on it to get to DMK if they start at the Nana BTS station. 

The Red Line (MRT/SRT or whatever you want to call it) is a fast electric train system that runs on or above the ground. I refer to it as MRT, but if Crossy says it's not, who am I to argue?

It's a great trip direct to DMK, and I timed it at up to 143km/h towards that area.

As Crossy says, BTS goes there, but on the wrong side of the runway, so you'd get off the BTS 4km+ from the terminal. That's not as the crow flies, it's 4km in a taxi.

I'm not sure about where you're coming from but surely you can get to or near Bang Sue Grand Station via BTS, or why not cross to MRT earlier down the line?

Trains from Bang Sue appear to leave every 15 minutes, on the hour, 15, 30 & 45. From Taling Chan they go every 30 minutes, on .06 & .36

Enjoy!!

The names BTS/Skytrain and MRT are historical. No problem when there were just the two.

• Now ye olde worlde BTS is the Green Line (dark and light for Sukhumvit and Silom Lines although I can never work out which is which and I work for them).
  • The MRT is the Blue Line
  • Then we have the Purple Line
  • the Gold Line
  • and the Red Line
  • To cause confusion we have the Airport Link which doesn't seem to have an official colour.

Sometime next year we will have the Pink Line and the Yellow Line.

I really don't know why they can't have numbers too, Seoul has lines referenced by number and colour.

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

The Red Line is called, wait for it, the Red Line. It's actually operated by SRT.

• From Nana BTS=>MoChit,
  • Walk downstairs to MRT.
  • MRT Chatuchak Park => Bang Sue  
  • Walk to Bang Sue Grand (there's an underground passage but it's quite a long way).
  • Upstairs into Bang Sue Grand station for the Red Line.
  • Red Line Bang Sue Grand => DMK

Note the Bang Sue Grand is currently a covid vaxx centre, navigating the station might be problematic.

Due to the Red Line being under trial running I would't rely on it to get to DMK for a flight.

OK, so one must take the MRT to get to Bang Sue station.  thank you

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

Note the Bang Sue Grand is currently a covid vaxx centre, navigating the station might be problematic.

No it is not, Thursday coming back from MTT went on the red line at Laksi (one stop from DMK) to Bang Sue (where you arrive at the 2nd floor), then follow the signs to the MRT, which requires going down some escalators and a short walk (120 m) through a tunnel. When you get on the red line you have to scan a QR code or write your name and destination. Free for the first 3 months, frequency is low outside rush hours (every 30 min, 15 min at peak times).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

No it is not, Thursday coming back from MTT went on the red line at Laksi (one stop from DMK) to Bang Sue (where you arrive at the 2nd floor), then follow the signs to the MRT, which requires going down some escalators and a short walk (120 m) through a tunnel. When you get on the red line you have to scan a QR code or write your name and destination. Free for the first 3 months, frequency is low outside rush hours (every 30 min, 15 min at peak times).

Excellent to have a first hand experience. I've not been to Bang Sue Grand recently so no idea how the vaxx operation is affecting the actual working part of the station.

If you're starting at Nana BTS and want to go to Don Mueang Airport, I would suggest that by far the easiest method is to get on the BTS at Nana get off the BTS at Laek Kor Por Aor. Then jump into a taxi for a short (Around 60bht) ride to the airport terminal. This avoids changing from BTS to MRT to SRT.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 4:27 PM, Crossy said:

Neither the MRT nor the BTS go to Don Mueang

I once (many years ago) took the MRT (Lumpini) to Hua Lamphong and from there on the old rattly non air conditioned DERM (Diesel engine rail motor) to Don Muang station, from there it was just across a pedestrian bridge to the airport.

I've even picked up the Chiang mai night train from the same station after arriving at DMK.

I wonder if those suburban passenger services are still running, after all it is the main line out of Bangkok, running from Hua Lamphong to Bang sue and on out to Issan and Chaing mai.

Don Muang was just one of several suburban stations along the line.!

On 8/6/2021 at 3:43 PM, gk10012001 said:

I have tried to look at BTS maps, mass transit maps, utube videos etc.  but I can not tell if one can now take the BTS, connect to a few lines, and then get to DMK,

Just found an excellent map of all lines in Bangkok.

Better than official maps.

Hope it helps.

You may need to copy and paste.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=17wcuEbeg01fc5ODY_SjzbjRt1aQ&ll=13.925582578685384%2C100.65505326896618&z=12

• Like 1

7 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Hope it helps.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=17wcuEbeg01fc5ODY_SjzbjRt1aQ&ll=13.925582578685384%2C100.65505326896618&z=12

This shows the lime green airport rail link going from Swampy all the way to Don Muang. Is that completed now then?

Edited by SunsetT

9 hours ago, SunsetT said:

This shows the lime green airport rail link going from Swampy all the way to Don Muang. Is that completed now then?

Doubt it, think that section (Phaya Thai - Don Muang) is still just in the making, has been since 2012.

SRT Sky train still shows it terminating at Phaya Thai.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SunsetT said:

That will be the "Three Airports Line" and will link Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and Utapao. Not going to be opening for a few years.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

I once (many years ago) took the MRT (Lumpini) to Hua Lamphong and from there on the old rattly non air conditioned DERM (Diesel engine rail motor) to Don Muang station, from there it was just across a pedestrian bridge to the airport.

I've even picked up the Chiang mai night train from the same station after arriving at DMK.

I wonder if those suburban passenger services are still running, after all it is the main line out of Bangkok, running from Hua Lamphong to Bang sue and on out to Issan and Chaing mai.

Don Muang was just one of several suburban stations along the line.!

The old trundle boxes are still running at least until the Red Line goes fully operational. The long distance trains will also move up onto the viaduct removing the level crossings too.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 1:52 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What's the nature/specifics of the Red Line station connection to Don Muang Airport -- how far apart, what kind of connection, etc?

Pretty much right outside the terminal close to the existing SRT station.

Footbridge across the highway.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, millymoopoo said:

Hope it helps.

If you wish to see the whole future network as currently planned check the map down the middle on this page or other maps at the start of the thread.....