Food supply reduced amid COVID spread at processing plants

snoop1130

Just now, Khabib said:

I would suggest, when this all comes out the wash, so to speak it will dwarf 2008.

More future predictions. I guess when actual facts don't support your case, it makes sense to resort to something that can't be disproved. That it can't be proved, either, is irrelevant for some.

4 minutes ago, Khabib said:
7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Stocking up or hoarding: all depends on the perspective of the person who may be staring at empty shelves or a full pantry. 

Much of it likely comes down to the psych of humanity - if you can't beat em, join em.

I fall into the "You snooze, you lose" camp.  When they forecast supply disruptions, I try to buy enough to see me through.  Just like I stocked up before the 2011 floods in BKK.

They're now forecasting supply disruptions...  Says so in the title.

Just now, placeholder said:

More future predictions. I guess when actual facts don't support your case, it makes sense to resort to something that can't be disproved. That it can't be proved, either, is irrelevant for some.

The proof is in the price of gold since the pandemic began. I rest my case.

1 minute ago, Khabib said:

The proof is in the price of gold since the pandemic began. I rest my case.

The price of gold is just a barometer for the mood of the rich.  Has nothing to do with what's happening in the real economy where goods and services are exchanged.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

I fall into the "You snooze, you lose" camp.  When they forecast supply disruptions, I try to buy enough to see me through.  Just like I stocked up before the 2011 floods in BKK.

That's absolutely right, we are all vulnerable to market forces, whatever our means.

Just now, impulse said:

The price of gold is just a barometer for the mood of the rich.  Has nothing to do with what's happening in the real economy where goods and services are exchanged.

House prices, anybody?

Perhaps the stockmarket!  In US particularly. Dividends need to be paid relative to the stock price, and so logic follows it will be charged to the customer, consumer. If markets rise, not an indication of wealth - except for those that hold stock. Sadly, I'm from UK, ftse done nothing for many, many years

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

As I said, all depends on where you are positioned regarding food and other essentials. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Khabib said:

I didn't have any then though. I had real estate. You know, we would all have loved investing in bitcoin 5 years ago. Nobody knows, that's my only real point.

So, now you're saying that the price of gold has no predictive value? So you brought it up why?

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

As I said, all depends on where you are positioned regarding food and other essentials. 

This brings us exactly back to the point. My fear of losing access to beer, causes me to drink more beer (cause I stock up), I think the same mentality would exist for food supplies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

The franchised 7-11's seem to be running low, shelves are half full and the refrigerated food sections look pretty wiped out.  Had to go to Villa to buy our eggs, and Milk today as the local 7 has been out for a few days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So, now you're saying that the price of gold has no predictive value? So you brought it up why?

It most certainly does have predictive value when governments print money like confetti. Where it will go, I have no idea, other than up in the medium term. Sorry, thats not to say it can purchase more, just on average not less.

Edited by Khabib
Additional

2 minutes ago, Khabib said:

It most certainly does have predictive value when governments print money like confetti. Where it will go, I have no idea, other than up in the medium term. Sorry, thats not to say it can purchase more, just on average not less.

So you're back to making that assertion even though the record of the years since the onset of the Great Recession do not in the least corroborate your claim. Basically, for you it's an article of faith, not fact.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The franchised 7-11's seem to be running low, shelves are half full and the refrigerated food sections look pretty wiped out.  Had to go to Villa to buy our eggs, and Milk today as the local 7 has been out for a few days.

Yes, I would consider that a bad sign. I hope its not endemic of all of them.

So you're back to making that assertion even though the record of the years since the onset of the Great Recession do not in the least corroborate your claim. Basically, for you it's an article of faith, not fact.

In the end, you have to put assets somewhere. Perhaps you could suggest the panacea? Would love to hear.

1 minute ago, Khabib said:

This brings us exactly back to the point. My fear of losing access to beer, causes me to drink more beer (cause I stock up), I think the same mentality would exist for food supplies.

I went the other way.  I bought canned tuna, canned sardines, crackers, peanut butter, gallons of water, etc.  Stuff that I rarely eat, but it keeps forever with no refrigeration, and would tide me over in a bind.  Fortunately, my part of BKK (Asoke) never flooded to the point I couldn't go to the office to work.  Though the company did rent a hotel floor in Hua Hin for employees that needed to leave their homes in BKK.  I chose not to bug out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Khabib said:

In the end, you have to put assets somewhere. Perhaps you could suggest the panacea? Would love to hear.

If the subject were investing, I'd be glad to oblige.  But you contended that high inflation would be a consequence of "printing money". That's what we've been discussing.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I went the other way.  I bought canned tuna, canned sardines, crackers, peanut butter, gallons of water, etc.  Stuff that I rarely eat, but it keeps forever with no refrigeration, and would tide me over in a bind.  Fortunately, my part of BKK (Asoke) never flooded to the point I couldn't go to the office to work.  Though the company did rent a hotel floor in Hua Hin for employees that needed to leave their homes in BKK.  I chose not to bug out. 

That's great planning. I did exactly the same, many long lasting tins of food. Not to deprive anyone else, have wife and two children. These things matter. I guess I've now opened myself up to accusations of being a hoarder 55

• Like 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

If the subject were investing, I'd be glad to oblige.  But you contended that high inflation would be a consequence of "printing money". That's what we've been discussing.

That is investing. If you stay in paper money (or equivalent bank account) that is something being invested as there are many alternatives. If we fear, paper money will lose value, we seek out alternatives- that's human nature, surely.

Just now, Khabib said:

That is investing. If you stay in paper money (or equivalent bank account) that is something being invested as there are many alternatives. If we fear, paper money will lose value, we seek out alternatives- that's human nature, surely.

What has this got to do with your prediction of high inflation caused by "printing money"? 

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

This makes no sense. If environment is truly inflationary then that's a legitimate reason to raise prices. Not an excuse. And you're still evading the question of supply and demand. If chicken processing factories are producing as many chickens, then it's almost inevitable that the price of chickens will rise. What's so hard to understand about that?

What about demand? Shouldn't it drop due to closed restaurant, food shops etc. Tourists are food customers too, and there much less of them right now, but prices didn't dropped, isn't it? 

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What has this got to do with your prediction of high inflation caused by "printing money"? 

High inflation, as you well know, is the increasing price of things. Check it out, next time you fill your car tank.

3 minutes ago, 2umich said:

What about demand? Shouldn't it drop due to closed restaurant, food shops etc. Tourists are food customers too, and there much less of them right now, but prices didn't dropped, isn't it? 

I don't know whether or not prices dropped previously, But I do know that while there may have been 40 million tourists a year, that amounts to less than a million per week. And the population of Thailand is about 70 million.

No. That's what inflation is regardless of whether it's high or low.

Ok, if you think my comments don't make much sense, I still appreciate your comments. Fortunately, I still have a lovely young wife at 37, and two children whose ages have inflated to 15 and 17. I don't want any zombie apocalypse 55